Status of Tizen

KRA

Is the Tizen app hold up because emby don't have a tizen developer or is because there's not a high enough need for it as of yet? or is it just simply no time? or all 3? not pushing, just wondering - can the current app not be ported to tizen as this is such a solid app or is it not that simple?

Edited by Rowlett

It is currently being investigated. A community member offered to donate a tizen TV, which I accepted, but I will not be able to start looking at it for a couple more weeks. In the meantime, cmcg is taking a preliminary look at porting the existing samsung app. The good news is we already mostly have an app, it just needs to be adapted for tizen.

• Like 1

Sadly it is slow going since Tizen has an asynchronous file system which requires a complete rewrite of the log and settings file handling. Networking seems ok though so once I'm over these initial hurdles progress should improve. This morning was the first time I've got as far as the add server page on the Tizen emulator.

569b88b474b8e_NewServer.png

Well, I was excited anyway...

• Like 6

FrostByte

Oh, that's sexy.  Might have to go out and buy me one of those new quantum dot tvs just to test it out

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone still working on porting the existing app to Tizen?

Before the latest firmware update I was able to sideload the existing app, but now Samsung has blocked it and I'm stuck on Emby 2.0.5b.

(In addition to that, wifi/bluetooth stopped working on my TV and Samsung refuses to send a service technician before I've tried a factory reset - thus loosing the already installed app)

I'd be willing to donate if it would help speed up this project.

Hey @@deadnex

Sounds like a pickle! No wonder everyone on the SammyGo site constantly advises against firmware updates.

I made some good progress on the Tizen port. That went on the backburner a week ago while @@chessdragon136 and I worked on some new features. We are planning a change freeze after the next release to provide a windows to get the port done.

I hope you can live with the wifi/Bluetooth issue for the time being. I'm guessing the factory reset could fix that so you might not need the engineer but if you can live on an Ethernet cable for now you might be better off.

• Like 5

Hey @@cmcg

Thanks for the feedback!

My TV's connected through an ethernet cable anyway and I have no plans of doing a factory reset until the Emby port is completed (warranty is valid for 5 years here in Norway). The only annoying thing with the wifi/bluetooth issue is that the samsung smart remote isn't working anymore. From what I've read online I'm guessing that the wifi card has to be replaced - both bluetooth and wifi reports a mac address of 00:00:00:00:00:00...

You guys are doing a great job!  :)

gbone8106

I have to reitierate, how much i would love to have this ported to Tizen. I currently have an H series and will be purchasing the one connect 2015 box to upgrade HDR and Tizen in preperation for when 4k blu rays are released in March. Has anyone had any success side loading this on a an H series? or maybe even one with the one connect box?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Mark2011

I really like emby, works great on my roku3 (aside from awkward navigation) but as a owner of two Tizen based smart tv's in my living room and daughters bedroom and the only way to access is through dlna on those atm, emby is simply unable to compete with other programmes available in my case, which makes me sad as i really do like the software.

heres hoping a Tizen version is in the pipeline.

FrostByte

I really like emby, works great on my roku3 (aside from awkward navigation) but as a owner of two Tizen based smart tv's in my living room and daughters bedroom and the only way to access is through dlna on those atm, emby is simply unable to compete with other programmes available in my case, which makes me sad as i really do like the software.

Do you have a Samsung BD player or HTS you could load the app on?  Someone mentioned those are not using Tizen yet.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you but the Tizen port is at an early stage. I'll post back here if I make some news worthy progress.

Mark2011

Do you have a Samsung BD player or HTS you could load the app on?  Someone mentioned those are not using Tizen yet.

afraid i have neither, thanks for the info though.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you but the Tizen port is at an early stage. I'll post back here if I make some news worthy progress.

Early stages means its being developed yay, im eagerly awaiting a release, thanks.

this mainly just a thanks!!!!!!

i've got to say the Samsung Smart TV App since 1080p beta version has been my favourite emby client out of all of them! best by far! i prefer it over even the web client for "off-site" viewing! it's got every feature i want and the player is the best with all needed features... even simple things like being able to rewind, ff etc!!

the only thing for me would be it being in the app store and/or auto updating but that's me nit picking! i cannot wait for the tizen version then it will just be samsung & tizen app i turn to, to watch all my media on :-)

on that note any news on tizen app or the app going into samsung store on non-tizen version?

massive thanks to all devs - much appreciated!

FrostByte

on that note any news on tizen app or the app going into samsung store on non-tizen version?

Unfortunately, Samsung is no longer accepting new non-tizen apps for their store.  Been checked into already by the developers

SilentAssassin

Unfortunately, Samsung is no longer accepting new non-tizen apps for their store.  Been checked into already by the developers

When it was mentioned on here, the way it sounded to me was that they are not accepting smarttv apps without also submitting a tizen app. So once the tizen port is completed they will be able to submit both to the respective stores. I may have got that totally wrong.

I think its wrong of Samsung to not accept SmartTV apps when you could still buy TV's running that OS just last year.

• Like 1

FrostByte

True, I saw that also.  I believe Luke was the one who mentioned that somewhere in here but I can't find it now.  Hopefully, that is true.

• 3 weeks later...

We are actively working on porting the new Emby Theater to Tizen. I cannot offer any ETA.

• Like 4

Deihmos

I would have liked to see emby theater for last gen the Samsung tvs but I doubt that will happen.

• Like 1

AgileHumor

I would have liked to see emby theater for last gen the Samsung tvs but I doubt that will happen.

it might just happen :)

PhAzE

+1 for Tizen support. Recent updates to the j series no longer allow USB side loading. Some h series tvs have an upgrade kit giving them j series hardware, these too will use the Tizen version.

Plex on these tvs is currently not Tizen native either, it is running in emulation mode still. This means no Plex or emby for k model tvs yet. Having emby up for k series tvs would be great for those early adopters.

• 3 weeks later...