Status of Tizen

KRA

Luke said a while back that there where things in the workings that could prove positive for Tizen. Is there any updates on Tizen support ?

Nothing I'm working on. Sorry. You'll have to update me on what Luke may have said but from my point of view I doubt I'll be working on Tizen. Firstly, I'm just a selfish guy working on the client that matches the TV I happen to have. But also because Samsung dropped support for SmartHub in such a rapid fashion that I can't really see myself trusting them enough to start a long project for a new Samsung platform.

• Like 2

FrostByte

A lot of the new BD and HTS players still run SmartHub if you have one of those with your TV

Edited by FrostByte

@@cmcg http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/20213-android-tv-app/?view=findpost&p=248745

This was posted almost 2 month ago, and followup said that nothing would happen in weeks but eventually. So I would like to know, if there is stuff in the pipeline looking good to be tested soon or if this is 2 years from now ?

Thought this was the place to discuss and not in a android thread ;)

• Like 1

I think I'd be more excited about LG WebOS TVs to be honest. Surely Samsung are going to be sorry they ignored OLED in a year or two.

When it comes to SmartTV OS, WebOS 2.0 has gotten a lot of praise, but it does not look like that praise translate into good app support. Tizen is interesting tech wise and Samsung usually = app support, I guess Android is the safe bet right now, but I don't like google and how they are usually very USA centric in their choices.

• 1 month later...
AgileHumor

Tizen support would be cool (and if it's a long way off, should be listed on the website app support for clarity). 

One remote to rule them all.  Roku and others still require that second remote of the TV for volume control.  Having Tizen support would give users the most simplest control.

FrostByte

It does say on the download page for SmartTV and the installation instructions mention which models use the supported SmartHub (D-H).  I suppose it could say Tizen (TV models J and after) is not supported at this time.  Maybe someone with rights can update it.

https://emby.media/downloads/emby-for-samsung-smart-tv/

All we need is someone with a Tizen TV to port it over and support it afterward.  So far no one has stepped forward though.  Actually, you can probably port it over and test using just the emulator, but I can't imagine too many are going to want to spend their time writing an app for a device they don't own.

Edited by FrostByte

AgileHumor

I can't imagine too many are going to want to spend their time writing an app for a device they don't own.​

I'll donate $367 for this $40" J model if any existing Samsung dev wants to take it on: http://amzn.com/B00U9U8XSC

Their time is worth may more than a single TV though...

• Like 2

FrostByte

Nice tv, looking at getting another myself

I've tried a couple times to get the current programmer to set up a paypal account to donate and he still hasn't :)

AgileHumor

I don't yet, I have a 5 of the E series.   Planning to upgrade once I can get some justification to have more than 1080p from a content perspective.

I have family that use the app on the D and F series.  

I really would only buy Samsung TV's as I feel they have the best app selection and snappiest interface (and use single remote)...so hoping Tizen will be supported when I'm ready to upgrade in 2017 :)

PS - Price went up to $399

Edited by AgileHumor
  • Like 1

shorty1483

I cannot test it since I do not own a J Model but anybody tried to adapt the method installing Plex via USB on J Series? From what I read it seems to be able to emulate older apps? Some J models have the old 1.018 Plex app inside via emulator. But the following guide is the way to install the 2.0 Betas on the  J Models before it found his way into the Tizen store. I wrote a short adaption from Plex installation to Emby.

1. Download latest zip version of Emby App via "http://82.11.185.51/widgetlist.xml"
2. Rename the downloaded zip to "Emby.zip"
3. Create a fat32 USB Stick with the folder "userwidget" in it
4. Move "Emby.zip" into the folder "userwidget"
Structure:
USB
...userwidget
.............Emby.zip
5. Plugin USB in TV
6. Turn on TV, open SmartHub and navigate to "MyApps" -> Emby should be shown here to be installable
7. After installation, plug off USB stick

@@cmcg atm the above link with widgetlist.xml is down
@@KRA @@ZenOfJazz you two could be guinea pigs :D

Edited by shorty1483
  • Like 1

FrostByte

If anyone is willing to donate 5,000 US$ to my PayPal account in order to purchase a new TV I would be willing to give it a hack.  No promises though :)

• Like 4

If anyone is willing to donate 5,000 US$ to my PayPal account in order to purchase a new TV I would be willing to give it a hack.  No promises though :)

Tempting

shorty1483

Will do it for 4999,-  :P

• Like 2