touch friendly skin

bojack

Why doesn't kodi have a touch friendly skin that can work on a phone? The only touch friendly skin available is the one shipped with Kodi. Is this impossible to accomplish? 

marcelveldt

There are touch friendly skins for Kodi. In some skins you need to enable touch support which adds extra navigation controls. For example in Titan skin you can switch to touch mode in the skin settings.

Deihmos

Re-touched just does not work well for a 5.5" screen. They said it is meant for 7" and up basically a tablet. Never heard of droid but it looks like it never got past kodi 13.

Edited by Deihmos

Deihmos

Well I use an iPhone and there isn't an app but I rather not deal with transcoding. I use another solution but was looking into Kodi.

Edited by Deihmos

sluggo45

Kodi only works on jailbroken iPhones and it will still struggle with some videos on that platform, depending on the bitrate/essence format. File size is also something you shouldn't overlook - basically, there are a lot of reasons why transcoding to a specific platform is a good idea.

Emby (and Plex) have excellent clients for phones and nice, automated ways to get content transcoded on to them. 

I understand if your use case is different but the answer to your question of "why are there no good touchscreen skins for smaller devices" is "most people use the clients built for the phone and could care less" - so no one bothers to make any. 

Edited by sluggo45

Deihmos

@@sluggo45 Kodi woks on non jail broken phones. My phone is not jail broken and it does not struggle on any videos either. When it comes to transcoding plex handles it much better. Emby in the browser always transcodes the video and I don't understand why while plex will transcode the video only if the bitrate is higher than what I set. I will check out the iPhone app when it is released. Maybe it will work better on the app than the web.

Edited by Deihmos

sluggo45

I'm a few weeks out of data on Kodi and iOS - looks like Xcode and self-signing works now for non-jailbroken phones. Still a bit of a workaround but good to know.

You are also right in that the Emby iOS app - the new one, anyway - still isn't out. Sorry, I am used to Android, where the client works fine :)

Given all that, the fact that Android has a good client for both Emby and Plex and iOS still requires workarounds for Kodi/has a great Plex client/may one day have a good Emby client :) - means there isn't much interest in a phone sized touch skin for Kodi. I assume you've asked on the Kodi forums?

Deihmos

I have already deleted kodi with no plans to install it again on the phone.

Edited by Deihmos