Music Tracks Stutter at Start Of Playback

rickster53

rickster53

I am experiencing a stuttering effect in the playback of the first few notes of a music track in the Web Client.  I am using Emby Server version 3.0.5871.0 although the problem has existed for me for quite some time, just never got around to reporting it.  My entire Music Library is in FLAC format and the problem is easily reproducible on my system by doing the following...  Select any album and click on a track to play it.  I hear a slight stutter of the first couple of notes and then the track plays fine all the way to the end.  Select another song and the same things happens---the first few notes seem to stutter.  This is most noticeable if the track immediately starts with the vocal versus a track that might have a second or two of silence in the beginning.  Same issue is seen when I use a music playlist and it transitions from one song to the next.  The first few notes will sound like they are stuttering/repeating.  The anomaly is that this problem does NOT manifest itself when I play the tracks back using MB Theater as the client. I only see it with the Web Client.  Has any else experienced this?  Please advise if additional info is required. Thanks...

Deathsquirrel

I don't have this issue with flac in firefox.  Since the browser will be transcoding I'd look at what browser you're using and review the transcoding log for the event.

rickster53

I don't have this issue with flac in firefox.  Since the browser will be transcoding I'd look at what browser you're using and review the transcoding log for the event.

Thanks for the reply Deathsquirrel...

Should have mentioned that I'm using IE11 on Windows 7.  The transcode log is attached but I'm not sure what to look for?  I don't see any error...

transcode-03a69f17-4dbd-403d-a1da-10b73f2b8a58.txt

Deathsquirrel

Ah, consider it reproduced then.  Annoying.

In firefox I get the same thing but at the end of the song.  Bit less annoying but still odd.

I don't have either symptom in Chrome but then I have to run Chrome so that's no solution.

Edited by Deathsquirrel

i have not seen this on IE for windows 8. i will do some testing with firefox 42. I know this isn't an issue in chrome.

rickster53

Some additional info... In my environment (IE11, Windows 7) the problem also happens with MP3 tracks, so its not just a FLAC data type issue.

Just for the purposes of collecting information, can you please try chrome or firefox and see if you notice the problem there? thanks.

Deathsquirrel

In my testing stuttering at the star is specific to edge, stuttering at the end happens in firefox, and chrome playback is fine on the stuttering front though I swear it sounds tinny.  That's all with flac and m4a tracks from iTunes.  No problems with mp3 in either browser for me.

rickster53

With Firefox I am not getting stuttering at the beginning but have heard stuttering at the end in a few cases.  It's harder to catch at the end because most tracks just fade out in the end, but I have heard it.  No stuttering at all with Chrome but I agree that it does sound more tinny than either IE or Firefox.  It's as if the midrange is being overboosted causing the vocals to sound off just a bit.  I'm sure a frequency equalizer could probably compensate for it...

rickster53

Wondering whether devs have been able to confirm whether this is an issue with IE so I'll either have to live with it or switch to a different browser; or if this is an Emby issue that needs to be addressed?

I have not been able to reproduce it on any browser but will keep trying. With IE in more of a maintenance mode now you certainly will see a better experience with chrome or Firefox

Deathsquirrel

I have not been able to reproduce it on any browser but will keep trying. With IE in more of a maintenance mode now you certainly will see a better experience with chrome or Firefox

You've tested flac playback in edge and firefox without issue?  The stuttering at the start/end is consistent for me in those browsers.

Deathsquirrel

yes both transcoded audio from flac as well as direct play. haven't seen any issue

Very strange.  Well if you need logs or sample files let me know.