Best PVR back-end for Emby?

Blue407

What back-end do you use and why?

I'm looking for a new one to replace WMC. My source is Freesat in the UK, I have 3 satellite feeds, 1 to a DVB-S2 PCI card and the other 2 to USB DVB-S2 units.

So I;m looking for a recommendation on a good, reliable back-end PVR. One that works well with Emby with a high WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) for the main Lounge PC.

It needs to be easy to change channels, see whats scheduled to record, playback recordings etc etc.

pünktchen

Everybody has their own preferences and everybody will tell you his backend is the best.

So i do and tell you to try MediaPortal.  ;)  It has the most feature complete plugin beside serverwmc i think.

• Like 2

What do you all use for EPG then?

I use Freesat tuners, so I need something reliable as OTA is only current and next program...

im85288

TVHeadEnd is the best, very stable and has the fastest channel change time (at least in Kodi). It will automatically use open tv (sky and freesat) to get the EPG over the air.

• Like 1

TVHeadEnd is the best, very stable and has the fastest channel change time (at least in Kodi). It will automatically use open tv (sky and freesat) to get the EPG over the air.

Can it run on Windows? on in a Hyper-V virtual machine?

No idea really, I would presume yes. I use a network streamer that has TVHeadEnd and VNSI built in: http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs2923-moi-plus.html

This allows you to stream your content as you want it to various devices (iOS etc). Overall a very good product if you ask me.

The USB units I have just purchased are TBS 5922SE models.

That unit looks good, but expensive!

Does it support recording into WMC,Emby or Kodi etc

Edited by Blue407

im85288

There is a cheaper option: http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/moi-dvb-s2-streaming-box.html but yes if you already have tuners maybe overkill. For me it replaced my STB and allowed access from the Kodi clients I have distributed around the house.

It does work as a backend for Emby as I use that here, but to be honest my main focus is Kodi where you can schedule recordings etc and the most important thing for me and the family was the channel change time which is near enough instant. EPG is always correct too so overall I'm happy with it. 

Edited by im85288