MKV playback crashes App

Toonguy

Sometime over the weekend (10/31/15) the Roku app can no longer handle most MKV files. I say most, because files that are less than 10 minutes in length still play without error. But longer files frequently cause the app (and sometimes the Roku) to crash. I'm guessing the length has something to do with it and once a certain point is reached, the player just gives up. MP4 files have no problems.

I am running version 3.0.5781.0 of the server and 2.15 of the Emby player.

this may or may not be related, but the server is unable to access some of your files

\\WDMYCLOUD\Public\Shared Videos\Series\Episodes
	Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

System.IO.IOException

That thought had occured to me and I even went back and tested again after making sure the NAS was communicating properly. No difference. :( Same result when accessing MKV files (longer then 10 minutes) from other drives as well.

What exactly does this mean?

2015-11-05 13:50:25.4872 Info - App: Bitrate exceeds DirectPlay limit
2015-11-05 13:50:25.4872 Info - App: Profile: Roku, Path: \\WDMYCLOUD\Public\Shared Videos\Features\Avengers Age of Ultron\Avengers Age of Ultron.mkv, isEligibleForDirectPlay: True, isEligibleForDirectStream: False
2015-11-05 13:50:25.4872 Info - App: Profile: Roku, No direct play profiles found for Path: \\WDMYCLOUD\Public\Shared Videos\Features\Avengers Age of Ultron\Avengers Age of Ultron.mkv
2015-11-05 13:50:25.4872 Info - App: Profile: Roku, Path: \\WDMYCLOUD\Public\Shared Videos\Features\Avengers Age of Ultron\Avengers Age of Ultron.mkv, isEligibleForDirectPlay: True, isEligibleForDirectStream: False
2015-11-05 13:50:25.4872 Info - App: Profile: Roku, No direct play profiles found for Path: \\WDMYCLOUD\Public\Shared Videos\Features\Avengers Age of Ultron\Avengers Age of Ultron.mkv
2015-11-05 13:50:25.9552 Debug - App: Cannot stream copy video due to missing keyframe info
Edited by Toonguy

Okay. I am not finding that error in the logs since this morning. However, there is a reference to "An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host." I suppose I can try restarting everything and see if that makes a difference.

Still no closer to a solution. Verified that the drive is connecting at startup.  It is not playing MKV files that we watched earler. 

There are still problems here. the server seems to be unable to access your WDMYCLOUD

2015-11-05 15:25:26.8477 Error - LibraryMonitor: Error watching path: \\WDMYCLOUD\Public\Shared Videos\Series
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.0.5781.0
	Command line: C:\Users\Kyle\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
	Processor count: 4
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: False
	Program data path: C:\Users\Kyle\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server
	Application Path: C:\Users\Kyle\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	The directory name \\WDMYCLOUD\Public\Shared Videos\Series is invalid.
	System.ArgumentException

I set the video quality in the Roku App to the lowest setting. No change.

Edited by Toonguy

Do these items play normally in the web client? I do not see any problem with the server transcoding. If they play normally in the web client, then please try installing the the app using the zip file installation:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/16251-how-to-obtain-a-log-from-the-emby-roku-client/

This will allow you to obtain a log from the roku app that might help us locate the issue. Thanks.

I ripped a new MKV and it played without error. I thought, maybe it's because this file is smaller - maybe I've found the cut off. While it's less than 2 hours long (by a smidge) the resulting file is actually larger than the troublesome files. I give up.

I'm going the cryogenic route. I'm converting the troublesome MKV files to MP4 and archiving the original files until such time as technology catches up with them. 

• Like 1