Images on Home Screen

lja

Thanks @@Luke and if that's all that was fixed then it won't have addressed the issue that is affecting quite a few people judging by the different threads that have been started recently. The mediainfo icons was a small part of the issue of the imagesbyname/general folder being deprecated unfortunately and not the key one (at least not for me and a few others).

I may not have explained what I meant very well however, so...

In Emby Classic, if I select the "Music" menu/folder/option/whatever name you prefer, I then have several sub menus (Playlists/Albums/Album Artists/Genres/Favorites).

Prior to a couple of releases ago, you could customise those images by creating a folder spelled exactly the same within the General folder in the imagesbyname directory and then drop a folder.jpg and thumb.jpg into that directory and that would be used as the image for that menu/folder/whatever.

As it is currently they show as blank image holders with no image at all, this happened initially a couple of releases ago. It was all working beautifully up until then.

Edited to add some screenshots to illustrate the problem:

564a669d94517_2015111623_24_17bedroomRem

564a66a9611e2_2015111623_26_13bedroomRem

564a6705333c5_2015111623_29_36kurgan_338

@@Luke This is also my problem which I briefly explained in my first post at the start of this thread.

• Like 1

That is the issue that was addressed.

I'm on the dev line but it is working for me now - in the places where these folders exist.

However, specifically for music, these folders no longer exist in dev so I cannot test them.  The images do work for the sub-views under Movies though.

564b394aba121_emcibn.png

Be sure you have your metadata folder pointed to the proper place.

Ian-Highlander

That is the issue that was addressed.

I'm on the dev line but it is working for me now - in the places where these folders exist.

However, specifically for music, these folders no longer exist in dev so I cannot test them.  The images do work for the sub-views under Movies though.

564b394aba121_emcibn.png

Be sure you have your metadata folder pointed to the proper place.

Thanks @@ebr

I've still not been able to get this to work on the latest release version.

Can I pick your brain a bit more just to try and nail down why please?

I have the itemsbyname path declared in my system.xml file as below:

<ItemsByNamePath>\\xxxxxxxxx\zzzzzzzzz\Emby\ImagesByName</ItemsByNamePath>  

(share details removed obviously)

As well as the below sections that "may" be relevant

<SaveLocalMeta>true</SaveLocalMeta>
  <EnableLocalizedGuids>true</EnableLocalizedGuids>
  <DisableStartupScan>true</DisableStartupScan>
  <EnableUserViews>false</EnableUserViews>
  <EnableLibraryMetadataSubFolder>false</EnableLibraryMetadataSubFolder>

<MergeMetadataAndImagesByName>false</MergeMetadataAndImagesByName>
  <EnableStandaloneMetadata>false</EnableStandaloneMetadata>
  <ImageSavingConvention>Legacy</ImageSavingConvention>

My ImagesByName directory has populated fine with artists, genre, musicgenre, people, studio and views directories which have all populated as you'd expect.

In the past I just dropped a directory in there called general and created a folder for each of those images named as it appears in EMC and dropped folder.jpg and thumb.jpg images into each directory and they magically appeared in the EMC interface.

ie:

imagesbyname

/playlists

/thumb.jpg

/folder.jpg

/resume

/thumb.jpg

/folder.jpg

etc etc

However, I've tried that this time (several times and ways) and it's not working for me at all either on music, movies or tv shows. I've also tried dropping a general directory into the metadata directory again with no results.

I'm hoping it's just a simple config changeover and it will all work again as expected going on your post above which would be great, although a bit worried about your comment that those folders no longer exist in the music category as that's actually the only category I need them in because of the size of my music library, you advised me to use that because it wasn't picking up more than 3,000 odd tracks if I didn't.

Would you mind comparing your config lines to mine above (or pointing out anything else relevant I may have missed) so that I can try them please?

Are these subfolders going from music for good or is this just that they're not working "at the moment" in dev while something else is being worked on? Quite worried about that comment now because if they're going for good, then EMC suddenly becomes useless to us for our music collection which we use it for quite a bit.

Edited by Ian-Highlander

For best results, avoid modifying those directly and use the interface to set your config paths. A lot of those hidden values are designed to safely migrate people to new ways of doing things, they are not intended to be a preference to be toggled back and forth and as such, have not been tested in that manner.

Ian-Highlander

For best results, avoid modifying those directly and use the interface to set your config paths. A lot of those hidden values are designed to safely migrate people to new ways of doing things, they are not intended to be a preference to be toggled back and forth and as such, have not been tested in that manner.

Agreed (in principle) but if it's the only way I can get things to appear as they should then I have no choice. Please give me an alternative so I can get the images working again as they used to and I will happily never touch the config file again :)

Edited by Ian-Highlander

changing any of these will destabilize your setup so if you've already done that then we now have to decide between cleaning up the mess or changing them back and dealing with the changes that will bring

<EnableLocalizedGuids>true</EnableLocalizedGuids>
  <EnableLibraryMetadataSubFolder>false</EnableLibraryMetadataSubFolder>
  <MergeMetadataAndImagesByName>false</MergeMetadataAndImagesByName>
  <EnableStandaloneMetadata>false</EnableStandaloneMetadata>

Any new installation throughout 2015 would have all of those values set to true. Older installations would have different values and would never change, allowing you to stay as your are forever without affecting anything. But with those values set to true, you would only need to configure the Metadata path in the web interface to point to your imagesbyname folder.

This is all very confusing and I am not following.

My Favorites image stopped working a couple of releases back, I am now on the latest .2 and still not working.

Should I be doing anything to get that image back or consider this still not working ?

Edited by Tester

This is all very confusing and I am not following.

My Favorites image stopped working a couple of releases back, I am now on the latest .2 and still not working.

Should I be doing anything to get that image back or consider this still not working ?

"Favorites" exactly where?

Sorry ebr, but I do not understand the question.  Please see post 9 of this thread.

I can't tell where, exactly, that is.  What is that actual folder?  Is that at the top level views?

Yes, this is my top level view without enhanced EHS.  

All the folders with covers are user created folders which pick up the images from imagesbyname\general\

Favorites used to pick up the image from said folder, but that no longer works as shown in post #9 screenshot.

Emby Classic -> Options -> Legacy Browsing

Use Legacy Folder Browsing checked

Show Favorites Folder checked

Been using Favorites since it was first introduced and it always picked up the image from  imagesbyname\general\.

Unfortunately Favorites does not show up in the MetaManager ( I do not use, but Playlist and Colletions do) so I cannot manually assign an image.

Oh.... of course, legacy browsing mode.  I guess the generic favorites folder is one of the few reasons you'd ever need to have that option selected anymore.  You can pretty much achieve the "legacy" presentation now with the standard setup.

Even with legacy browsing, that image still works for me.

I guess be sure and try updating to the new beta of EMC in case that makes a difference.

564e3675e852f_emclegacyfav.png

Yes, the only reason why I have Legacy selected is to get the Favorites folder.

How do I achieve a simple Favorites folder with the standard setup ?  I should mention that I run non-Enhanced-EHS with standard folders, really dislike all the enhanced virtual folder setups.

I toggled the Legacy option and still having same issue.  I changed nothing the last month, only updated to latest beta versions.

I believe I am on latest beta emby classic 283.

No idea what EMC is 

Edited by Tester

For me,the 3.0.5781.2 server version corrected my problems.

Now I have the rated icons back and also the icons for the fovorites and genres folders in (legacy browsing) EHS.

All I did before was copying the "mediainfo" and "general" folder from my IBN folder to my metadata folder.

But I'm not sure if this is needed as the actor images still work and I have them only in the IBN folder.

I also never touched the server xml files by hand to edit image settings, so I couldn't break anything there ;-)

Thanks to all emby guys for the update!

Ciao, Alfred

I believe I am on latest beta emby classic 283.

No idea what EMC is 

EMC = Emby for Media Center (i.e. Emby Classic as you are calling it)

283 isn't even the latest release which is 286.  The latest beta is 288.

Ian-Highlander

As people seem to be having some success with the imagesbyname/general folder again, I'm going to take the jump and wipe my system again over the weekend and see how I get on with a fully defaulted system. Will report back once I have :)

Ian-Highlander

Success! (finally) :D

After a complete re-install from scratch, the imagesbyname/general directory seems to be working exactly as it used to again. Still need to get most of my library back in and get all my backdrop customisations and other bits done, but yay :D

Thanks @@Luke and apologies for being a grumpy old git sometimes over this (frustration with what is otherwise a superb system).

564fc78710736_1.jpg

Edited by Ian-Highlander

rostar99

Since the recent updates IBN folder is working again. I was able to assign images for music The only remaining issue is if you enable sub-views  for movies or tv some of the sub-view names overlap (Genre, Favorites, Playlists) with the music.  Is there a way to keep separate images for a shared same sub-view name (folder structure)?

• 1 month later...
fraenhawk

I know I'm coming into this late, but with EMC 3.0.292 and recent beta server versions (currently on 3.0.5801.0) having the ignored sub-views problem, I was wondering if I eventually want sub-views on EMC, how exactly do I fix the missing icons problem? I'm not sure I followed all the IBN change problems and what the final solution was. Seems like there should have been a migration job during whatever version caused this rather than have to uninstall reinstall (which BTW, do I have to rebuild anything if I do that?). Here's a screenshot of where I guess the images used to be (views) and where I think I'm getting they should be now (General). I've been running for a long time, so I guess I've got a build-up of all the various versions & changes - none manually edited by me.

568b0c551454b_20160104.png

Here's what it looks like in EMC:

568b0d4cad659_missingicons.png

Edited by fraenhawk