System shutdown

Diedrich

Diedrich

I would like to request the ability to shutdown the computer within Emby. This would be the same functionality available through Kodi but for those who do not use Kodi.

The reasoning is because I currently have the ability to WOL my HTPC but to shutdown the computer (after viewing on the iPad, for example) I must then startup Teamviewer just to shutdown the computer. If I had the ability to login to my Emby admin account I could then press a button that would send the shutdown.exe command (or corresponding Linux command) and would make everything much more efficient.

Koleckai Silvestri

Several clients have this capability already. Not sure it makes much sense for the server itself.

Diedrich

Several clients have this capability already. Not sure it makes much sense for the server itself.

Watching on an iPad (or any web client) does not have the ability to shutdown the system. It makes perfect sense. It doesn't inconvenience anyone to have the function.

Diedrich

It would inconvenience anyone watching or listening to something on that server

Which is why in the OP I mentioned making this function a feature for the admin account, i.e. not a standard user. You don't have to click it if you don't want to, but _I_ do.

Koleckai Silvestri

Watching on an iPad (or any web client) does not have the ability to shutdown the system. It makes perfect sense. It doesn't inconvenience anyone to have the function.

Would inconvenience me, especially when a family member gets upset because the latest episode of their favorite series isn't available. I am running other things on the server and expect it to be on and available 24/7.

Diedrich

Would inconvenience me, especially when a family member gets upset because the latest episode of their favorite series isn't available. I am running other things on the server and expect it to be on and available 24/7.

You misunderstand, it doesn't inconvenience the Emby admin to have this feature. You. Don't. Have. To. Use. it If. You. Don't. Want. to.

If you gave all your users admin rights then you're doing it wrong. Only the admin user would have the shutdown button, and if you (as the admin user), don't know when to shutdown the computer or have a compulsion to press said button then you shouldn't be running such powerful software.

But what about other systems that may be running on the machine that the Emby admin user may or may not be aware of?

I'm just not sure this is something that falls within the purview of our system.  There are lots of utilities out there that can allow you to manage the server machine itself remotely.  I use Pulseway, for example.

Diedrich

I describe it in a different way...

A system shutdown button in the Emby Server admin screen would be no different than having direct access to the OS's shutdown function but it would be for users who do not have direct access to their computer's OS. It saves a step to not have to deal with 3rd party programs for OS control.

Diedrich

I use Pulseway, for example.

Never heard of it but just looked into it, it looks nice. However, you are adding yet another piece of software to your OS when the same shutdown function can be utilized within Emby. What if Pulseway stops maintaining their app? What if the phone app becomes obsolete on your phone's OS?

Deathsquirrel

Never heard of it but just looked into it, it looks nice. However, you are adding yet another piece of software to your OS when the same shutdown function can be utilized within Emby. What if Pulseway stops maintaining their app? What if the phone app becomes obsolete on your phone's OS?

The use RDP, VNC, whatever.  There are a bizillion remote access apps.

I describe it in a different way...

A system shutdown button in the Emby Server admin screen would be no different than having direct access to the OS's shutdown function but it would be for users who do not have direct access to their computer's OS. It saves a step to not have to deal with 3rd party programs for OS control.

But the assumption there is that the Emby Administrator is also the machine administrator and I don't know that that is an assumption we want to make.  Direct machine operations just seem outside the scope of what we need to be putting in the system.  They are there on a limited basis in some clients because you are dealing with an HTPC or end device that is thought of as more of an appliance.

There are a lot of apps that we can remotely login to the server but a sleep button in the GUI of the web client would be very convince instead of going back to the computer

using VNC to login and putting the server to sleep. Also on top of that A wake up button would be even better in order the web client to send a magic packet to wake

up the server. Of course for the routers that support forwarding magic packets from the internet