.nfo being overwritten

Andrommy
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Andrommy

When I edit something in the Metadata Manager, e.g. date added of the movie, my original .nfo (not the one created by emby) is being overwritten and completely changes the content of it. To clarify; original .nfo with info like movie bitrate etc. gets all wiped out and now contains "emby codes" so to say.

"Save artwork and metadata into media folders" is unchecked so emby doesn't write anything to them in the first place. (But somehow feeling free to overwrite).

So how do I prevent this except set all my media folders to read-only mode?

you would have to just not use the metadata manager. when you edit an item, if that item has local metadata then the local metadata is edited.

reason being your emby edits would constantly be lost because local metadata always takes priority over everything else. So for example, let's say you want to change the name but only in emby. So you edit the name, which does into the emby database but not the nfo. Later the nfo gets read again and your custom name gets replaced by what is in the nfo. So that is why they are kept in sync. Plus, we have a lot of users who don't want automatic processes editing their nfo's, but will use the tools to edit them.

Andrommy

you would have to just not use the metadata manager. when you edit an item, if that item has local metadata then the local metadata is edited.

reason being your emby edits would constantly be lost because local metadata always takes priority over everything else. So for example, let's say you want to change the name but only in emby. So you edit the name, which does into the emby database but not the nfo. Later the nfo gets read again and your custom name gets replaced by what is in the nfo. So that is why they are kept in sync. Plus, we have a lot of users who don't want automatic processes editing their nfo's, but will use the tools to edit them.

I'm not sure I follow here, is it even possible to edit outside the metadata manager? The metadata folder (I picked a custom destination) seems to contain no .nfo and the xml files are only for persons.

I want to clarify that If I set my media locations folder to read only mode, I can edit in the metadata manager, and settings stay even if I rescan the library.

Edited by Andrommy

• 3 years later...
milonedp

I know this is an old post it got me thinking though. I'm new to Emby and love it. The metadata management needs some work and Ember seems to do a great job with the metadata. Could I use that and not have Emby edit the nfo at all? What setting(s) would I need to change so that Ember and Emby aren't fighting each other?

Side note a pluggin from Ember would solve a ton of the metadata issues and questions I'm seeing posted about, especially bulk edit.

Edited by milonedp

You wouldn't need to do anything in emby. If an nfo changes externally, emby will pick up the changes on the next library scan.

milonedp

Thanks Luke, awesome work! If I update the nfo with an external editor is there anything I need to turn off in Emby so it doesn't get overwritten? I know I won't be able to use the library command to replace all metadata but I'd there anything else?

You could turn off nfo saving for your libraries - it is off by default, so you can turn it off in the same place that you turned it on, if you did.

Keep in mind doing this means you should stay away from Emby editing functions, because they will only get written to the database and not the nfo. That means the next time the nfo gets re-read, your custom edits made within Emby will be lost.