Emby & Comcast's new mp4 format for HD

TroyBennett

TroyBennett

Comcast recently switched to mp4 for their HD content making some tuners/tuner software obsolete, however I understand the HD Homerun Prime still works with this.  Does Emby's build in tuner software have the ability to work with this as well? can it record?  I have a ceton 6 tuner so i have no access to hd channels now and so I'm looking for a replacement that will work for me.  Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Troy Bennett

Edited by TroyBennett

• 3 months later...

I've been testing the new MPEG4 format on Comcast for more than a month now.  About 40 of my 110 HD channels have been changed to MPEG4.  Live and recorded TV on Windows Media Center is working properly.  Emby plays recorded wtv files just fine, but it really struggles with live TV playback.  I don't know if it is a limitation of ffmpeg where it is expecting an MPEG2 stream or if something else is going on.  Sometimes I can get live TV to play for a few seconds, but then it freezes and never starts again.  The ffmpeg processes are orphaned and continue to run on the server.  The behavior seems to be consistent across all operating systems, browsers, and the iOS Emby app.  The behavior is also consistent using the serverwmc plugin or the built-in Emby live TV plugin.

Hopefully someone can see what's going on and it is an easy fix.

Here's the latest server log and transcoding log:

server-63591482878.txt

transcode-debaf02d-4409-4268-91d2-c58b4516435a.txt

I have been doing more research on this.  48 of my HD channels have been converted to the H264 format.  It seems like many of them will stream fine on Emby.  I think I discovered the problem, but I don't know how to solve it.

Using ffprobe I got additional information that may be helpful.  The channels that work look like this:

index=0
codec_name=h264
codec_long_name=H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10
profile=High
codec_type=video
codec_time_base=1001/120000
codec_tag_string=[27][0][0][0]
codec_tag=0x001b
width=1280
height=720
coded_width=1280
coded_height=720

The channels that don't work look like this:

index=0
codec_name=h264
profile=High
codec_type=video
codec_time_base=1001/60000
codec_tag_string=[0][0][0][0]
codec_tag=0x0000
width=1920
height=1080
coded_width=1920
coded_height=1088

Notice the difference in the codec_tag and codec_tag_string.  Is this information that is coming from Comcast the problem?  Does there need to be a codec tag for Emby to be able to stream the channels?

Are the ones that don't work also all 1080i channels?

No, here's another that doesn't work... the National Geographic Channel:

index=0
codec_name=h264
profile=High
codec_type=video
codec_time_base=1001/120000
codec_tag_string=[0][0][0][0]
codec_tag=0x0000
width=1280
height=720
coded_width=1280
coded_height=720

Usually what happens is that it takes a really long time (like one minute) for Emby to show a still of the channel.  After that I get about five seconds of playback and then the playback freezes and never resumes again.  So far it seems to be consistent with the H264 channels that do not have the codec_tag or codec__tag_string values set as anything but zero values.

I just noticed that some of the MPEG2 format channels have zero values as well, but these channels have never been a problem for Emby to stream live.

Edited by tigrao

• 3 weeks later...
tigrao

All of my channels seem to be working now.  I don't know if Comcast changed something on their end or if ffmpeg was updated.  All of my channels now have a non-zero codec string and codec tag.

[STREAM]
index=0
codec_name=h264
profile=High
codec_type=video
codec_time_base=1001/60000
codec_tag_string=[27][0][0][0]
codec_tag=0x001b
width=1920
height=1080
coded_width=1920
coded_height=1088

• 2 weeks later...
tigrao

I don't get this.  Some days all the channels work fine in Emby and other days they do not.  For example, CNN is not working today.  It is back to having a codec_tag_string and codec_tag of all zeros.  Why would the data from Comcast be constantly changing?  Is there no way for ffmpeg to compensate for this?

I don't get this.  Some days all the channels work fine in Emby and other days they do not.  For example, CNN is not working today.  It is back to having a codec_tag_string and codec_tag of all zeros.  Why would the data from Comcast be constantly changing?  Is there no way for ffmpeg to compensate for this?

Hi there, welcome. In order to best help you, please see how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
tigrao

I got a Schedules Direct account and switched from using the ServerWMC plugin to using EmbyTV.  This problem seems to be resolved using EmbyTV on 5930.

• Like 1

DiscoLives4ever

I got a Schedules Direct account and switched from using the ServerWMC plugin to using EmbyTV.  This problem seems to be resolved using EmbyTV on 5930.

I just tested with 5930 and I'm still having the same issue. CNN will run around 8 seconds before it freezes.

Looking at logs, the biggest difference between an MPEG2 and MP4 channel are several entries similar to this:

[h264 @ 0000021944e786e0] no frame!
[h264 @ 0000021944e786e0] non-existing SPS 0 referenced in buffering period
[h264 @ 0000021944e786e0] non-existing PPS 0 referenced
[h264 @ 0000021944e786e0] non-existing SPS 0 referenced in buffering period
[h264 @ 0000021944e786e0] non-existing PPS 0 referenced
[h264 @ 0000021944e786e0] decode_slice_header error
Edited by DiscoLives4ever

tigrao

I just tested with 5930 and I'm still having the same issue. CNN will run around 8 seconds before it freezes.

Yeah, I jumped the gun.  Today CNN is also not working for me.  I think it depends on the program that is currently airing.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Other MPEG4 channels work fine for me though.  Fox Sports 1, for example, always works for me.  It has the same log entries as CNN so that can't be the problem.

Here's my FS1 and CNN transcode logs:

transcode-fs1.txt

transcode-cnn.txt

Edited by tigrao