Apple TV app?

Killervette

AZRichG

In the mean time you can use VLC on the AppleTV to find your content and play it. Emby shows up as a PnP (is there a U in there?) source and so you can watch your recordings.

Edit- while this works, VLC doesn't show and end time for some file types and doesn't let you scrub. So Airplay is a better option for this when you can do it if you have commercials or another reason to scrub. Looking forward to a proper Emby app!

Edited by AZRichG

overClocked!

Thanks for that recommendation. I'm going to have to try that. We primarily skip chapters, but sometimes rewind a bit. My mother doesn't have any TV recordings, so commercials are not an issue. Dvd rips are commercial free. [emoji6]

My main concern is the artwork experience. Does VLC provide that through DNLA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

When it comes time, I'd like to beta test. 

Is my understanding correct? My current setup is surrounding bluray iso's....which I gather isn't the norm (menu problems being part of it).  I realize the approach will likely be sending something other than iso's (mkv's ect.) to the appletv.  Will there be any consideration of supporting iso's for tvos? If I understand how emby works correctly...the server does all the work with the regards to mounting and transcoding (although I've never gotten that part to work very well, which is probably my fault) so in theory tvos would handle it, it's just a matter of getting the server settings correct.

Apple is probably one of the most restrictive environments there is when it comes to format support.  So, unless your items are in Apple-friendly formats (basically mp4 with h.264 video and aac audio) it will probably involve transcoding at the server end.

ISOs could make this even harder.  If you wish to use modern streaming devices (and Apple TV in particular), I highly suggest you start the process of converting your media to a streaming friendly format.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
AdrianW

I'm sure the UI will look great, but will the Apple TV be able to play mkv files containing AC3 or DTS audio or TrueHD / DTS MA?

Or will it only play mp4 & mov files containing AAC? Meaning Emby server will need to transcode.

I've been considering getting an ATV just for the Netflix app. I currently use the Windows 8.1 Netflix app which is better than the crappy Win 10 app - but both are not fit for use with a remote. It would be good to also use one for Emby - but I'm still thinking my NUC is still a better solution for Emby.

Edited by AdrianW

mellomade

I want to chime in here to voice my support for this as well.  I have been using the ATV4 for the past few months and it is great.  I can even run Kodi reasonably well on it - but hopefully there is a new Emby app coming soon so I won't have to!

I'm sure the UI will look great, but will the Apple TV be able to play mkv files containing AC3 or DTS audio or TrueHD / DTS MA?

I have tested the Infuse app from Firecore with my Emby library and it plays back my MKVs directly using AAC, AC3, DTS and the DTS core from any DTS-HD MA files.  TrueHD is has not happened yet - but it likely will.  So there is hope for all this!

• Like 1

See my previous comments on the issue of playback.

We will do everything we can to make the app as good as we can but I just want to set proper expectations here.  The initial release will use the standard player which only supports the traditional Apple formats.  If you don't have your content in Apple-friendly formats then, yes, there will be a fair amount of transcoding.

Having said that, as long as you have the transcoding power on the server, I've found the Apple player to work extremely well.  Playback is fast to start, seeking works well, etc.

As with every app we produce - we will strive to get a highly functional but not "every bell and whistle" solution out as a first revision.  We'd rather get something that works for most of the people most of the time into your hands as quickly as possible rather than spend months trying to tweak the last 5% of everything.

Then, we will evolve from there as demand and need warrants.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
legallink

I doubt you'll get a timeline/goal date out of them, as it hasn't gone well previously when an app gets delayed.

I know, I was just seeing if we could get a vague idea. Worth asking.

It should be out this year... ;)

• Like 2

mbinkley

I just moved an enormous library from Plex to Emby, I left Plex up for my two ATV friends. I'm looking forward to turning the old server OFF.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
overClocked!

Hells YEAH!!!!

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!!!

Just installed it for my mom on AppleTV 4.

Great initial release. Everything looks like it's working fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3