'No Items' after upgrade

solidus28

If I restart the server, clean the database and then rescan the media, then everything shows up fine. If I reboot the PC, I have to do it all over again!

Sent from my Lenovo K50-t5 using Tapatalk

Please try the beta version of the server and see if it improves the situation.

But be aware - This beta involves a database conversion process which must complete after the upgrade and could take some time (some have reported hours).  Also, you cannot go back to the stable release once you have moved to this beta.

You could take a true backup of your entire Emby-Server folder before hand and then put it all back if it doesn't work out for you, though.

• Like 1

Dibbes

Thanks ebr!!! 

I don't know what you guys did, but my server is as fast as I haven't seen it for a very long time. EMC Logs in properly and fast, the webpage loads almost immediately and the apps on the various tablets, phones, etc. log in immediately as well. Even the movies page loads fairly fast, which I'm definitely not used to...

I haven't quite tested all yet, but all seems to be working well!

• Like 2

Dibbes

Gents, after 24 hours, it seems the issues are back. the log says the following:

2016-02-06 21:57:56.3723 Error HttpResponseExtensionsInternal: Could not WriteTextToResponse: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.0.5865.0
	Command line: C:\Users\rob\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe -service
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
	Processor count: 4
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Program data path: C:\Users\rob\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
	Application Path: C:\Users\rob\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
	System.IO.IOException
	   at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
	   at SocketHttpListener.Net.ResponseStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
	   at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.SocketSharp.WebSocketSharpResponse.Write(String text)
	   at ServiceStack.HttpResponseExtensionsInternal.WriteTextToResponse(IResponse response, String text, String defaultContentType)
	InnerException: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
	An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
	   at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)

2016-02-06 21:57:56.3723 Error HttpServer: Error in HttpConnection.BeginReadRequest. ConnectionId: afb833797ed24e2d8c0716f892b844cf
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.0.5865.0
	Command line: C:\Users\rob\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe -service
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
	Processor count: 4
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Program data path: C:\Users\rob\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
	Application Path: C:\Users\rob\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
	System.IO.IOException
	   at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.BeginRead(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
	   at SocketHttpListener.Net.HttpConnection.BeginReadRequest()
	InnerException: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
	An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
	   at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.BeginRead(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)

2016-02-06 21:57:56.3723 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 500 to 192.168.1.161. Time: 777008ms (slow). http://192.168.1.63:8096/emby/Users/d8c2b545ae3f4a6db93fb05eeb12bfd1/Views?format=json
2016-02-06 21:57:56.3723 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.1.156. Time: 31ms. http://hyperv3:8096/emby/Users/d8c2b545ae3f4a6db93fb05eeb12bfd1/Views
2016-02-06 21:57:56.6067 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.1.161. Time: 70470ms (slow). http://192.168.1.63:8096/emby/Users/d8c2b545ae3f4a6db93fb05eeb12bfd1/Views?format=json
2016-02-06 21:57:56.6067 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://192.168.1.63:8096/emby/Users/d8c2b545ae3f4a6db93fb05eeb12bfd1/Items?Limit=1&SortBy=&SeriesStatuses=&fields=&Filters=&ImageTypes=&VideoTypes=&AirDays=&recursive=True&EnableImageTypes=&MediaTypes=&Genres=&Ids=&StudioIds=&ExcludeItemTypes=&IncludeItemTypes=Series&ArtistIds=&PersonIds=&PersonTypes=&Years=&format=json. UserAgent: 
2016-02-06 21:57:56.6692 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.1.161. Time: 21329ms (slow). http://192.168.1.63:8096/emby/Users/d8c2b545ae3f4a6db93fb05eeb12bfd1/Views?format=json
2016-02-06 21:57:56.6848 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.1.161. Time: 100752ms (slow). http://192.168.1.63:8096/emby/Users/d8c2b545ae3f4a6db93fb05eeb12bfd1/Views?format=json
2016-02-06 21:57:56.7161 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.1.161. Time: 109ms. http://192.168.1.63:8096/emby/Users/d8c2b545ae3f4a6db93fb05eeb12bfd1/Items?Limit=1&SortBy=&SeriesStatuses=&fields=&Filters=&ImageTypes=&VideoTypes=&AirDays=&recursive=True&EnableImageTypes=&MediaTypes=&Genres=&Ids=&StudioIds=&ExcludeItemTypes=&IncludeItemTypes=Series&ArtistIds=&PersonIds=&PersonTypes=&Years=&format=json
2016-02-06 21:58:16.9498 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://192.168.1.63:8096/system/info/public?format=json. UserAgent: 
2016-02-06 21:58:16.9811 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.1.161. Time: 31ms. http://192.168.1.63:8096/system/info/public?format=json
2016-02-06 21:58:47.0733 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://Ext.ern.al.IP:8096/system/info/public?format=json. UserAgent: 
2016-02-06 21:58:47.1044 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to "Ext.ern.al.IP". Time: 31ms. http://Ext.ern.al.IP:8096/system/info/public?format=json
2016-02-06 21:59:17.2044 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://192.168.1.63:8096/emby/Users/d8c2b545ae3f4a6db93fb05eeb12bfd1/Views?format=json. UserAgent: 
2016-02-06 21:59:17.2982 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.1.161. Time: 94ms

192.168.1.63 is localhost of the server

Please let me know what you need to troubleshoot.

Edited by Dibbes

• 2 weeks later...

The new server release brings some performance improvements so I would suggest everyone in this thread read the blog announcement and then get updated to the latest version.

I do not promise that this version will make all the issues go away, because to be honest, most of the work was foundational and now we have to update a number of places to actually take advantage of it. Right now only a few places are utilizing the improvements, but where they are used they are recognizable. This release gives us the oppurtunity to really increase the performance of the server in future releases. If you guys can get updated and leave feedback, then we can continue to improve based on that. But please make sure to read the blog first. Thanks.

Dibbes

Sorry mate, but still the same issues. I now have an additional that the thumbs for new movies and series episodes do not get loaded. Neither in WMC, Webpage nor any of the apps...

• 3 weeks later...
Dibbes

Gents,

I'm absolutely appalled at the speed with which the web page and EMC loads with build 5882 and the build before that. It's very irritating that I don't have anything to complain anymore regarding the speed and login times. Even the artwork loads now in all apps that I've been using... Annoying that ;)

Let's see what happens when, in a few days, I enable the music and Games plugins again, but even without these disabled I used to have issues. 

Cheers and let me know if there's a way I can buy you guys a beer!

Dibs

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
glacket

I am not sure if this is the right topic to put this in, but i currently have very, very, very, very, really annoying, tear my hair out destroy my server issues. I have a core i3 16 gb ram 18tb server nothing but emby and windows 2012 r2.the server runs flawless. I can access every media file, without emby instantly always and forever, the server has never faltered, so it is not a hardware issue.

First and main issue which ive had randomly for a long time now is slowness. I currently have the latest emby client and server. I can  load into the main emby screen fast, but when I go tv shows/movies it takes anywhere from 45 seconds to 2 minutes or never loads and I have to close emby and try again. the other issue which has cropped up only in the newer versions of emby server and client is no items. when I launch emby after a couple of hours, tv shows, movies or both will show no items and if I do a scan, They "usually show back up for awhile then after some time passes the process starts over, I go into emby I click tv shows, it takes a minute to open and its blank, no items. Ive confirmed countless times the issue is with emby and not my server hardware. I am at a loss on what to do because I love emby because its the most complete solution for me but its so inconsistent even though I haven't touched a  thing it seems to all of a sudden be slow one day and cant open movies or tv shows, makes no sense. I test the backend by going directly to the folder, and everything always plays everytime no questions asked. I included my latest log file which has an a item response error but I'm not sure how to decipher it.

MBClassic-224201618732749a0a743918e31d493a727fd14.log

I am not sure if this is the right topic to put this in, but i currently have very, very, very, very, really annoying, tear my hair out destroy my server issues. I have a core i3 16 gb ram 18tb server nothing but emby and windows 2012 r2.the server runs flawless. I can access every media file, without emby instantly always and forever, the server has never faltered, so it is not a hardware issue.

First and main issue which ive had randomly for a long time now is slowness. I currently have the latest emby client and server. I can  load into the main emby screen fast, but when I go tv shows/movies it takes anywhere from 45 seconds to 2 minutes or never loads and I have to close emby and try again. the other issue which has cropped up only in the newer versions of emby server and client is no items. when I launch emby after a couple of hours, tv shows, movies or both will show no items and if I do a scan, They "usually show back up for awhile then after some time passes the process starts over, I go into emby I click tv shows, it takes a minute to open and its blank, no items. Ive confirmed countless times the issue is with emby and not my server hardware. I am at a loss on what to do because I love emby because its the most complete solution for me but its so inconsistent even though I haven't touched a  thing it seems to all of a sudden be slow one day and cant open movies or tv shows, makes no sense. I test the backend by going directly to the folder, and everything always plays everytime no questions asked. I included my latest log file which has an a item response error but I'm not sure how to decipher it.

Hi, can you please provide the server log? instructions are here:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Do you see the same slowness using the Emby server web interface?

glacket

Hi, yes the web interface is slow or doesnt repsond when i try to browse movies or tv. but if i navigate using windows explorer and open the file everything works like a charm every single time without fail.

server-63596880000.txt

glacket

Hi, yes the web interface is slow or doesnt repsond when i try to browse movies or tv. but if i navigate using windows explorer and open the file everything works like a charm every single time without fail.

here is another example that makes no logical sense. I was able to randomly open emby and it worked lightning fast, instant, so  I watched a tv show through emby. when the show was done I backed all the way out of emby and checked some recordings under wmc scheduling, then I went back into emby and chose movies, it stayed stuck on the movies icon for about 45 seconds then wmc window popped up with "program not responding, cancel or close". ill finally get emby working randomly after trying to go into it 5 times and its fine and freakin fast. I will watch a tv show then go out of emby and go back in 5, 10 mins or maybe an hour later and its back to square one, it freezes when selecting tv shows or movies and doesn't respond or may eventually go in and if it does then theres a good chance it will show no items. If I minimize or close it and just navigate to the show I want to watch, boom works like theres no problem.

glacket

Here is another use case scenario where im having the same issue. Hopefully this can give a better picture into what may be wrong. I was windows explorer browsing through my media collection, I then decided to test emby. I load up emby, two dots fly across the screen and its in the main menu, that part is lightning fast, then I will click on tv shows, and it freezes, 45 seconds go by and window pops up saying program not responding, I click cancel and wait about a minute longer, it goes into tv shows and shows 0/0 items. I back out of tv shows click movies, it takes about 20 seconds and loads into movies and everything shows up. if I back totally out and then go back in the intial load could take up to a minute or 2 before I see tv/movies menu. it really drives me bonkers. whenever I update server/client its a 50/50 draw if its going to work or not. I usually have to delet everything and start fresh everytime, and it still produces the slowness issues I mentioned above. I can reformat and reinstall windows and emby until  I am blue in the face and it does this. I would think its hardware but, every single time I access the files its perfectly fast and instant always.

Edited by glacket

glacket

Any updates on this? I am seriously about to destroy my server. I've spent days on this and nothing ever changes. i am pretty sure ive turned every setting on and off. the only thing that seemed to break it permenantly was turning off real time monitoring. once loaded into emby, neither tv nor movies would ever load. I am getting ready to reformat again and install an ssd. I know already its going to be a waste of time because the same problem will occur but i keep hoping for a change even though i proved without doubt that the problem is not my hardware.this sucks, i wish server went back to 5 or 6 versions ago when it was working amazing.

glacket

it is being looked into, but yes an SSD can help with performance related issues.

I understand that an ssd will speed everything up, but in this case it shouldnt be relevant unless emby on the server, which is on an hdd is not responding. My media is always instantly accessible if i play the file. always period, every time. when i go through emby it is not. logically that would mean the software is having the issue. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

glacket

I did some more testing and I appear to have found a reproducible result most of the time. it appears that usually when I go into emby and it freezes, if I back out and go back in, it loads fine like a bat out of hell

That is indicative of your server simply responding too slowly to the queries the first time.

An SSD on the server could make a difference.

glacket

That is indicative of your server simply responding too slowly to the queries the first time.

An SSD on the server could make a difference.

I thought of that theory too, but it does not logically make sense unless I am missing something. here is why, I can "always", navigate to my movies in windows explorer and instantly play "everytime",  remotely and locally, no equivocations. Second Emby used worked fine, like lightning fast fine, really amazingly fast a couple of updates ago. I wish I saved that version because I would love to go back to it. Emby changed, things got slow and started acting flaky, process of elimination points to emby not hardware. I just want to make sure I am making sense. If not please let me know, honestly I would love to find out that it is something else on my end and fix it. I noticed in the logs, it says attempting to wake server. does this mean the server is sleeping when not in use? if so is it possible to turn this function off or give users the option to turn it off. I don't mind if its always awake if it keeps the waf good and me sane. Thanks.

glacket

By "your server" I meant Emby Server.

I understand. on my server that runs the emby server application. everything works 100% except when clients are connecting to emby server and using the application.

glacket

ok, i formatted the server again and installed emby. like usual its amazing and freakin fast i mean blazing, like loads as fast i can click for now. I still do not have much hope since it always does this untils theres an update then just starts having slowness issues again.  Anyway now theres a new problem. It is now buffering local media and it never did that before. I made sure both pc's are on the same vlan, same workgroup, firewall ports are open. server is set to connect automatically and it does. Any ideas why its buffering local media now?

It's not surprising because the database footprint on newer server installations is much lighter now.

Anyway, please open a topic about your new issue, along with detailed information that will allow us to diagnose. thanks.

glacket

ok, i formatted the server again and installed emby. like usual its amazing and freakin fast i mean blazing, like loads as fast i can click for now. I still do not have much hope since it always does this untils theres an update then just starts having slowness issues again.  Anyway now theres a new problem. It is now buffering local media and it never did that before. I made sure both pc's are on the same vlan, same workgroup, firewall ports are open. server is set to connect automatically and it does. Any ideas why its buffering local media now?

I am an idiot like usual. I had installed emby after reformatting 4 times for testing and everytime i setup the wrong path substitution. i am not home to test this, but i am pretty sure this was causing local media to transcode.

glacket

It's not surprising because the database footprint on newer server installations is much lighter now.

Anyway, please open a topic about your new issue, along with detailed information that will allow us to diagnose. thanks.

i thought that maybe the case as well, so i deleted the database and started fresh on every reinstall of emby which did nothing.  i also installed an ssd and moved imaging caching to it. while i notice even more speed from this, this definitely is not what fixed my problem because older versions of emby ran almost as fast. i will open a new request when i get home if it is still transcoding, but i ran into this problem several times before. One time was due to the client treating the server as being off the network, every other time was due to path substitution issues. anyway, i disabled automatic updates to see if the everything stays the same(nice and fast) indefinitely to confirm what actually causes the slowness to start.

glacket

fixing the path substitution fixed the transcoding issue. Its so fast, its sketch as f............... I hope it stays that way. its currently awesome for the moment.