'No Items' after upgrade

solidus28

solidus28

Any news on this.  I haven't updated the latest server version I saw today, but the changelog didn't sound like it changed anything for this issue.  

solidus28

Oh.  I quit reporting it because it seemed like everyone was being referred to this thread.  I'm currently on 3.0.5781.4 and I still have to restart the app on my server at least daily or EMC hangs and presents me with No Items.  No change in my performance.  Unless 3.0.5781.5 introduced something.  Did a fix actually go in with one of the server version?  I've been watching in anticipation, but none of the updates sounded like they were related.

Edited by solidus28

I'm not aware of anything specific but, as I said, no one has said anything in a few weeks.  I'm also not sure we really know why your server is timing out those responses. 

Oh.  I quit reporting it because it seemed like everyone was being referred to this thread.  I'm currently on 3.0.5781.4 and I still have to restart the app on my server at least daily or EMC hangs and presents me with No Items.  No change in my performance.  Unless 3.0.5781.5 introduced something.  Did a fix actually go in with one of the server version?  I've been watching in anticipation, but none of the updates sounded like they were related.

I had a similar issues so I uninstalled Emby Classic completely and deleted all the associated files and reinstalled.  I had to install a beta since the website fails to install the stable version.  That might help you as well.  You can save all your configuration files so you don't have to set everything up again. 

Thanks, bxsteez.  What config files should I save?

I only kept gamebrowser since its so hard to reconstruct that config file. I have random issues with no movies being present when I installed the mb3launch so if you are using that it might be the cause too.  I honestly have no idea what the issue is but it happens on all my pcs and I've done all I could on the server. 

I honestly can't even install a stable release of Emby Classic. It even fails to install so who knows maybe it's just our systems. 

solidus28

Sad to report after a full uninstall of EMC and install to 291, I still encountered 'No Items' today.  I'm sure a restart of the server app will fix it, but no dice :(

Sad to report after a full uninstall of EMC and install to 291, I still encountered 'No Items' today.  I'm sure a restart of the server app will fix it, but no dice :(

Yea I had the same problem all day too.  I tried reinstalling WMC and that failed so I reinstalled the Server app and as of right now it's been working but it's only been like 2hrs.  I dunno what is going on.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think a server re-start is going to help.  In fact, I believe it will hurt.

What needs to happen is those queries need to get run once and then, after that, the system should be responsive.

So, I know it isn't a good answer, but, if you bring it up and have the problem, you should be able to just re-start the app and have it work normally.

• Like 1

solidus28

Restarting Emby Server (app, not the OS) always fixes the issues for a while (<24 hours).  When I encounter the 'No Items' on EMC, I can restart the client, exit and reenter, etc, but it continues to come up to No Items.  Only after Logging into Emby Server and performing a restart from the dashboard does service return to normal.  I'm not sure what's triggering it, but I typically restart around 6 or 7pm when I get home and start watching television.  It's fine until I go to bed, so sometime between then and the next night at the same time, something happens that causes No Items again.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the client (although I've had the same issues on my Nexus 7 in the Emby app as well, so I still suspect it's on the server side).  I have not un/reinstalled the server, but have been upgrading to the stable releases as they come up, but even as recent as last night, I still encountered No Items.

Any other thoughts?  I was thinking of just creating scheduled tasks to run each morning in Windows to kill MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe and start it back up a few seconds later.  I know it's a bandaid, but the daily restarts are getting old.  I'm ok with it, the rest of the household isn't happy :)

solidus28

That's awesome, never noticed that!  Is there anything I can/should do to help try to get to the root cause?  Or just set daily restarts as a workaround?

No, I don't think there is anything else you can do at this point.  The server should be improving on this front soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Mustang Dave

Anything new on when this might be addressed...  I never noticed if anyone else stated this or not but once my library fully populates the only category that may or may not still be affected are Movie content and I have to close EMBY and reopen and everything works. TV Shows, Animation, etc. works fine...

• 2 weeks later...

Anything new on when this might be addressed...  I never noticed if anyone else stated this or not but once my library fully populates the only category that may or may not still be affected are Movie content and I have to close EMBY and reopen and everything works. TV Shows, Animation, etc. works fine...

Thank god!  I thought I was the only this was happening to. I started to think my server was failing again. 

• 2 weeks later...

@@ebr is there any update on this?  It seems as emby gets upgraded the problem gets progressively worse.  Is Emby for WMC development being put on the back burner these days?

The issue isn't on the app side.  Any perceived difference you are seeing with EMC updates is coincidental.

What I suggest is limiting library scans to only when you really need them (use automatic monitoring if possible).

The issue isn't on the app side.  Any perceived difference you are seeing with EMC updates is coincidental.

What I suggest is limiting library scans to only when you really need them (use automatic monitoring if possible).

That is currently what I'm doing.  It is only updating when new content is added which I believe is the automatic monitoring but the lag is still present.  When I click the emby app icon in WMC it loads up fast and then it freezes while it loads the images and what not and it freezes every I time i move to different type like Movies to TV to Games.  It freezes to load the content.   Sometimes it freezes for a very long time and then shows "No Items" in movies when I click in. 

Dibbes

For me it means I have to restart the Emby service on the server, even if isn´t any scan running, wait for about 5minutes, then EMC can log in. Otherwise EMC just tries to log in, fails, returns to MCE.

After restarting the Emby service, EMC will be able to log on, but will have lost theme settings in the process. This only if there was a failed log on previously though. I no failed log on, theme settings are kept.

Edited by Dibbes

Wow, just the same happened to me this morning! I fired up WMC as usual and my movies have vanished? I have no idea what has changed but no server restart, library rescan etc helps.

Weirdly, Kodi is still working fine.

Wow, just the same happened to me this morning! I fired up WMC as usual and my movies have vanished? I have no idea what has changed but no server restart, library rescan etc helps.

Weirdly, Kodi is still working fine.

And, if you wait about a minute and bring it back up is everything fine?  If not, then this probably isn't the same thing.