Library scan seems to hang at ffprobe

Guest petwri

Guest petwri

When scanning my library to Emby, and the server calls ffprobe to analyze the files, it seems to occasionally hang at this step, resulting in

main@htpc:~/.emby-server/logs$ ps -efj | grep ffprobe
main     16995 17978 16994 17978  0 11:48 pts/0    00:00:00 grep ffprobe
main     26502 20731 20731 20731  0 11:22 ?        00:00:00 /home/main/.emby-server/ffmpeg/20150917/ffprobe -i file:/media/Media2/Music/Roger Waters/Ca Ira/01-06 Act 1_ Scene 2_ Honest Bird, Simple Bird.flac -threads 0 -v info -print_format json -show_streams -show_format

running forever at 0% CPU load. The library scan gets stuck there. Any ideas where this might come from?

Edited by petwri

Yes that's what i wanted to know. In most cases when we launch ffmpeg or ffprobe, we have a timer where we kill it after a while if we think it's taking too long. we don't have it when probing media info. i guess it will have to be added. is this your own install of ffmpeg or was it laid down by emby server? if it's your own you could also try updating if (if it's not that recent).

Guest petwri

Thanks for the information. It is the ffprobe that came with Emby, the one in the emby-server folder is version N-49867-gd36eac6-static. 

tymanthius

Just an fyi - I built ffmpeg from sources yesterday b/c I was futzing around w/ Plex's new PMP (still not working yet, but mostly b/c of QT5.6).  And after I changed my symlinks in /usr/bin to point to the right places, seems to show an improvement in speed.

Guest petwri

there's no setting for it.  you'd have to just replace the emby version or specify  your own on the command line.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/3634-linux-setup/

When using upstart, something like 'EMBY_BIN="/usr/lib/emby-server/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -ffmpeg /path/to/ffmpeg -ffprobe /path/to/ffprobe"' in /etc/emby-server.conf?

Guest petwri

Ok, I just compiled ffmpeg myself, added it in EMBY_ADD_OPTS accordingly, emby is using the correct version of ffmpeg and ffprobe now, but still no difference. A process like

main      9384  9169  9169  9169  0 14:05 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/ffprobe -i file:/media/Media2/Music/NOFX/I Heard They Suck Live!!/01-19 [Crowd Leaves].mp3 -threads 0 -v info -print_format json -show_streams -show_format

Is hanging at 0% CPU, while calling ffprobe by hand, something like

/usr/bin/ffprobe -i /media/Media2/Music/NOFX/I\ Heard\ They\ Suck\ Live\!\!/01-19\ \[Crowd\ Leaves\].mp3 -threads 0 -v info -print_format json -show_streams -show_format

finished within 1 second. Maybe Emby is calling ffprobe not properly? Any ideas @@Luke?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest petwri

So what is the progress on this thing? My emby library is really never up to date, because it always hangs at the scanning process. Will this ever be fixed? @@Luke

Since you are the first this has ever happened for I am leaning towards the problem being something else that we arent' seeing and not just a simple case of ffprobe hanging. in the above log it happens with an mp3, you could try removing music from your library temporarily to see if it scans normally for videos.

I'm too having this problem =/ My media scan is stuck at 74.1% and hangs. 

root      2307     1  2307  2307  0 19:51 ?        00:00:00 su -s /bin/sh -c exec "$0" "$@" emby -- env MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU=100 MONO_GC_PARAMS=nursery-size=64m /usr/bin/mono-sgen /usr/lib/emby-server/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-server -ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/bin/ffprobe -restartpath /usr/lib/emby-server/restart.sh
emby      2326  2307  2326  2326  8 19:51 ?        00:02:54 /usr/bin/mono-sgen /usr/lib/emby-server/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-server -ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/bin/ffprobe -restartpath /usr/lib/emby-server/restart.sh
emby      2645  2326  2326  2326  0 20:13 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/ffprobe -i file:/remote/Spill/Movies/TheAvengers/TheAvengers.avi -threads 0 -v info -print_format json -show_streams -show_chapters -show_format
utking    2655  2168  2654  2168  0 20:26 pts/0    00:00:00 grep --color=auto ffprobe

Please post your server log. Bear in mind the vast majority of cases where a scan is reported as stuck, it really just ends up being that it was running slowly. Sometimes these probing operations can take a little time.

Hmm, a quick server restart makes it continue until it gets stuck again.

As it being stuck i waited for a couple of hours without anything happening, but it worked after the restart.

I'm currently away now, so can't post log atm :/ sorry, but as far as i recall it the only thing server log said was running ffprovider, then mediaencode. and after that just the regular httpserver exiting because nread something.

No errors or anything else.

Edited by Utking

Guest petwri

@@Utking At least I am not the only one facing this problem. So far, it only happened with mp3-files for me. Will watch it and post a server log if I run into this error again.

Guest petwri

Happened again, output of ps -ejf is

main     31303 30617 30617 30617  0 18:15 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/ffprobe -i file:/media/Media2/Music/Pavement/Slanted and Enchanted_ Luxe & Reduxe/02-08 Rain Ammunition (Peel Session 2).flac -threads 0 -v info -print_format json -show_streams -show_format

which again hangs, this time with a .flac file. 

Calling 

/usr/bin/ffprobe /media/Media2/Music/Pavement/Slanted\ and\ Enchanted_\ Luxe\ \&\ Reduxe/02-08\ Rain\ Ammunition\ \(Peel\ Session\ 2\).flac -threads 0 -v info -print_format json -show_streams -show_format

finishes within a second. Server log is attached.

server-63582948627.txt