Series Recordings No Longer Groups

mit3gt

I just noticed that my series recordings are not grouping anymore they are getting put in the "Others" folder.  I have not made any changes to my ServerWMC settings.  They still group fine in Kodi.  I have about 10 series recordings.  Right now I am only seeing a folder for 3 of my series and they only contain the last recorded episode.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

56303afd63ac8_emby.jpg

Edited by mit3gt

krustyreturns

Swmc explicitly tells kodi how to group recordings, but in contrast emby figures out the grouping on its own based on the data swmc sends it.  So my guess is the problem is on the emby side, especially since nothing has changed in swmc.  But just to be sure, make sure the data in the 'other' grouping looks correct in terms of the series vs episode names.

The data in the 'other' grouping has the series name.  The data in the correct series folder has the episode name.

Here is what is displaying in the correct 'Gotham' folder.

5630eb2d4345c_EmbyFolder.png

Here is what is displaying in the 'Others' folder.

5630eb655d588_EmbyOthers.png

Is this what you were referring to?

krustyreturns

My guess is your guide didn't have the episode names for some of the programs.  @@Luke if that happens, does emby not group the shows the same as the ones with episode titles?

krustyreturns

@@mit3gt then you should look and see if these episodes that are in 'other' are being identified as being part of a series.

Okay.  I just need to know where to check for that.  Do I check the meta-data?  I did notice that when I go to the series tab and go to Gotham>Recordings, I see all the episodes.  These were all organized correctly not that long ago.  I noticed this after I updated Emby (Stable Version 3.0.5768.7) a couple of days ago.  I noticed it had been hanging while trying to update.

krustyreturns

Good question.  I think just looking in the guide to future episodes in one of these programs (wmc,kodi,emby) and seeing if it allows series recording would tell you if you have a guide problem.

MadibaJ

These were all organized correctly not that long ago. I noticed this after I updated Emby (Stable Version 3.0.5768.7) a couple of days ago. I noticed it had been hanging while trying to update.

The way I read this is that it is his previous library that is causing the issue, not just new recordings. So is it something in the latest update that is looking for isserries which it wasn't looking for before?

krustyreturns

The IsSeries flag has always been there, so I am assuming its the guide data that has changed.  But yeah, it could be some kind of emby change causing it.

if you've just updated then try running the refresh guide operation. it will also happen on it's own automatically based on it's schedule. i wanted to force it after the update but as people tend to complain pretty hard about anything that has cpu impact, i hedged my bets that most of the things requiring upgrade would go unnoticed by most users between the time of update and the next scheduled refresh.

Thanks everyone for your input.  I tried running the guide update to no avail.  It looks like all new recordings made after the update are organizing correctly.  I just need to figure out how to get the recordings in the 'others' folder back to there respective series folder.  

JeremyFr79

Ok So I had an issue where after watching a recording and pressing stop I literally had 1.5TB of recordings VANISH.  Thankfully I was able to recover them all and move them back, however I had this same issue once they were back no matter what I did.  

BUT! I did fix it and here's how!

Go under the HTTP Service Tab in ServerWMC and disable the service. Close and restart Server WMC, go back under HTTP Service tab and re-enable.  Close and restart ServerWMC one more time.  Do a guide refresh and wait.  Everything worked fine for me after that.  Dunno why but that's what fixed it for me.

Ok So I had an issue where after watching a recording and pressing stop I literally had 1.5TB of recordings VANISH.  Thankfully I was able to recover them all and move them back, however I had this same issue once they were back no matter what I did.  

BUT! I did fix it and here's how!

Go under the HTTP Service Tab in ServerWMC and disable the service. Close and restart Server WMC, go back under HTTP Service tab and re-enable.  Close and restart ServerWMC one more time.  Do a guide refresh and wait.  Everything worked fine for me after that.  Dunno why but that's what fixed it for me.

Hmmm... I have never had the HTTP service in ServerWMC enabled.  I thought running that service was beneficial only for Prime users.  I use a Ceton card.

krustyreturns

Hmmm... I have never had the HTTP service in ServerWMC enabled.  I thought running that service was beneficial only for Prime users.  I use a Ceton card.

No, that is definitely not true (I think maybe you are thinking of dlna mode).  You want to enable the http service and tell it to use this instead of network shares for emby clients.   This is the preferred setup for emby clients (in fact the new version of swmc, if I can ever get it released, will tell users they should be running with it).  See this sticky: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/22609-fix-for-problem-of-live-streams-stopping-early/

I am not sure why JeremyFr79's change worked, but my guess is it caused emby to rebuild its guide database.

JeremyFr79

No, that is definitely not true (I think maybe you are thinking of dlna mode).  You want to enable the http service and tell it to use this instead of network shares for emby clients.   This is the preferred setup for emby clients (in fact the new version of swmc, if I can ever get it released, will tell users they should be running with it).  See this sticky: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/22609-fix-for-problem-of-live-streams-stopping-early/I'm 

I am not sure why JeremyFr79's change worked, but my guess is it caused emby to rebuild its guide database.

I'm not sure either, I tried everything I could think of thinking maybe permissions issues due to my home domain etc, it was one of those "just for shits & giggles" things that ended up solving it.

AtomicCEO

When you say "vanish", can you clarify what files you're talking about and what you saw?

Between last night and now, my entire Recorded TV folder in WMC was emptied, so there are no files in it.  I've lost all recordings that I had, and they aren't in the trash.  I'm trying to figure out if I have a bad hard drive or some other issue has occurred.

Also I don't know how to recover them, and I'd like to.  If you saw something similar, this may warrant a new thread.

FYI: I also saw this "Other" issue right after Emby Server upgraded, but it went away after a day or so.

JeremyFr79

When you say "vanish", can you clarify what files you're talking about and what you saw?

Between last night and now, my entire Recorded TV folder in WMC was emptied, so there are no files in it.  I've lost all recordings that I had, and they aren't in the trash.  I'm trying to figure out if I have a bad hard drive or some other issue has occurred.

Also I don't know how to recover them, and I'd like to.  If you saw something similar, this may warrant a new thread.

FYI: I also saw this "Other" issue right after Emby Server upgraded, but it went away after a day or so.

Yeah that's exactly what happened to me, we watched a show, my wife hit stop, went to start the next episode media center through a cyrptic error.  I restarted the machine, and when I opened MC everything in Recorded TV was gone.  I went in through file manager and everything but like 2 episodes and ServerWMC folders was just gone.  No delete actions taken on any clients.  One second the RAID had 1.5 terabytes of recordings, the next they were all gone.

I was never able to figure out what caused it, but was luckily able to use R-Studio to do a recovery to a share on the network and then move all my recordings back.  R-Studio is able to look at the raw data and see the files.  The thing is that when you "delete" a file no your hard drive you aren't actually erasing it, you're just simply removing it from the file allocation table.  The data is still there until eventually overwritten by new data.  

Essentially your data is a neighborhood.  By deleting you're erasing the addresses.  The houses and streets are still there but the post office (your OS) doesn't know where they're at anymore.  R-Studio is able to drive through the neighborhood and move all the houses to a new neighborhood with new addresses so to speak.  There's other software out there than can do this as well but I like R-studio because it's able to pull from broken RAIDS and stuff as well.

Edited by JeremyFr79

JeremyFr79

Lastly if you want to recover the data, don't let new data write to the disk, as new data is written it will corrupt the old files making them impossible to recover.

AtomicCEO

Yeah that's exactly what happened to me, we watched a show, my wife hit stop, went to start the next episode media center through a cyrptic error.  I restarted the machine, and when I opened MC everything in Recorded TV was gone.  I went in through file manager and everything but like 2 episodes and ServerWMC folders was just gone.  No delete actions taken on any clients.  One second the RAID had 1.5 terabytes of recordings, the next they were all gone.

I was never able to figure out what caused it, but was luckily able to use R-Studio to do a recovery to a share on the network and then move all my recordings back.  R-Studio is able to look at the raw data and see the files.  The thing is that when you "delete" a file no your hard drive you aren't actually erasing it, you're just simply removing it from the file allocation table.  The data is still there until eventually overwritten by new data.  

Essentially your data is a neighborhood.  By deleting you're erasing the addresses.  The houses and streets are still there but the post office (your OS) doesn't know where they're at anymore.  R-Studio is able to drive through the neighborhood and move all the houses to a new neighborhood with new addresses so to speak.  There's other software out there than can do this as well but I like R-studio because it's able to pull from broken RAIDS and stuff as well.

Ok, yeah, that is what happened to me.  I used Recuva and got much but not all of my recorded TV back.

That seems like a problem.  I wonder what caused it.  I hate to point fingers without knowing, but all of my Emby stuff updated in the last few days and that's all I'm aware of.