metadata for series, seasons and episodes -- consistency for rating, please?

alexrw

As it is currently, Emby gets metadata as follows:

- Series: from Open Movie Database, i.e. rating from IMDB

- Seasons: from TheMovieDB, i.e. rating from TheMovieDB

- Episodes: from TheTVDB, i.e. rating from TheTVDB

(we can only change it for series, but not for the other two, the default is the OMDB for series)

So we get 3 different kinds of ratings. For example, the last episode from Dexter in Emby says 6.9 rating, because it's from TheTVDB where it has a mere 140 votes. On IMDB it has 4.8 rating with 12000+ votes, but we can't see that in Emby. However, Emby shows the IMDB rating for the Dexter series, which is 8.9 ...

To make it even more confusing, the Titan skin in Kodi (from the Emby repository) says "IMDB rating" for episodes when in fact it's from TheTVDB ...

I'd very much like to get the rating from IMDB for all 3. Would that please be possible?

It would be nice to have have consistency for these 3 categories. 

Cheers

Edited by alexr

It's tvdb, so that's your consistency. We only use the others to enhance, they are not complete sources. For example season overviews from tmdb genres and ratings from omdb, etc.

No it's not. The episodes' rating is from TheTVDB while the series's rating is from IMDB. I'm looking at it right now in the metadata manager, it even says the number of votes.

Edited by alexr

I guess that depends on your metadata downloader.

You cant change the metadata downloader for episodes.

Also, why not get the rating from IMDB for all 3 ... in comparison with IMDB, the number of votes on thetvdb or themoviedb is negligible

Edited by alexr

Well that is what we have. It used to be all tvdb, and I thought I would do something nice for you guys by enhancing with some better data as it became available elsewhere. They can be disabled if you do not want to use them.

Nobody is saying you did a poor job! I love Emby! I wouldn't post here if I didn't care for it. Sorry if I seemed otherwise.

I'm asking why not get the rating for episodes from IMDB (OMDB) as well in order to have

1. Relevance (100 votes is really insignificant compared to 12000)

2. Consistency (you made OMDB/IMDB the default for series, but TheTVDB fixed for episodes). 

p.s. Kodi can do IMDB for both, and I know you can be at least as good :)

Edited by alexr

IMDb is a commercial operation and its data is not free - even if other programs work a way around that, we have chosen not to.

There are some free/open sources that do have some of this data as well but in a limited form and we take advantage of those when we can. 

It looks like omdb has seasons and episodes now so it could be explored in the future, but that doesn't mean it will come from imdb. it just means it comes from wherever omdb gets it from. it could very well come from bob's movie ratings.

the thing you probably don't realize, as well as just about every kodi user, is that imdb data is not free and costs tens of thousands of dollars per year to license. the tools you're referring to scrape the data directly from the imdb website which violates their terms of use.

IMDb is a commercial operation and its data is not free - even if other programs work a way around that, we have chosen not to.

There are some free/open sources that do have some of this data as well but in a limited form and we take advantage of those when we can. 

You use IMDB ratings for movies and tv series (by default) which you fetch from OMDB, which in turn scrapes IMDB. I don't care where Emby fetches the IMDB ratings from. I just want IMDB ratings for all categories. 

It looks like omdb has seasons and episodes now so it could be explored in the future, but that doesn't mean it will come from imdb. it just means it comes from wherever omdb gets it from. it could very well come from bob's movie ratings.

the thing you probably don't realize, as well as just about every kodi user, is that imdb data is not free and costs tens of thousands of dollars per year to license. the tools you're referring to scrape the data directly from the imdb website which violates their terms of use.

See above. I only want IMDB ratings ... I don't care where they are taken from, nor if there is a delay of N days, where N is sensible.

I realize very well how Kodi works, which is why i said you can do better. Not all of us are idiots. Some of us might also consider paying for an Emby premium license. But since you bring it up: Kodi is a non-profit project yet it manages to provide better file naming and junk detection and better metadata consistency (not all IMDB scraping is against the ToS) compared to Emby which has a premium version. I still support Emby.

Edited by alexr

Happy2Play

As Luke stated this feature was just added to OMDB.

Attention Users!
10/18/15 - You can now return all episodes by using just the "Season" parameter

Deathsquirrel

Indeed, and I hope Emby devs will implement IMDB ratings for episodes via OMDB, and thanks for replying in here.

Just to be clear, barring a change in policy by IMDB making that data free, they will NOT implement IMDB as a data source in Emby.  They could add OMDB support for ratings data and OMDB might choose to get that data from IMDB, legally or not, but Emby will not be pulling IMDB data from IMDB ever under the current pricing and terms of use offered by IMDB.

Just to be clear, barring a change in policy by IMDB making that data free, they will NOT implement IMDB as a data source in Emby.  They could add OMDB support for ratings data and OMDB might choose to get that data from IMDB, legally or not, but Emby will not be pulling IMDB data from IMDB ever under the current pricing and terms of use offered by IMDB.

That's understood, as also mentioned by me too in my last two posts above.

Edited by alexr