Emby for Kodi - No Access to Music

Blue Kachina
Go to solution Solved by BlueKachina,

Blue Kachina

Hey all;

I've been using Emby since it was Media Browser 2, so I'm pretty familiar with it.

That being said, it's my first time attempting to get it to work using Kodi as a front-end for it.

I'm attempting to do so on a relatively new platform too -- the nVidia Shield Android TV.

Initial setup seemed relatively painless:

1. Copy the .zip to a USB thumbdrive
  2. Install Emby Add-on from .zip
  3. Install Emby Add-on from Repository (picked Music Add-on/Video Add-on, and a couple other options as well)
  4. Kodi auto-detected my server, and I selected the user that I wanted to use for this profile
  5. Scanning of my library began

At first, Kodi had detected all of my songs, but none of them would show up under the Music heading.

I knew that it had detected them all because when I clicked into Settings, it would give me a count of them in the header.

After some playing around however, most of them show up.

Some of them aren't listed properly... some are listed as "Singles" ... but that's a different issue, and appears to be one that the community is aware of.

My main problem is that none of the files actually play any music.

They all work correctly from Emby, and even from Kodi when I install it on my phone, and attempt to go through the same process, however, when I try from the Android TV device, I get an error message saying that it couldn't locate the next file to play.

At this point in time, I'm not sure if music is supported by the add-on, but I wanted to report this issue, and find out if anyone else is having troubles with this also.

FYI:

I've tried adjusting a number of the settings - such as ones to stream instead of directly accessing the files through the network.

After adjusting these types of settings, I've done full database resets from the add-on, manually synching etc... all to no avail.

I've also tried modifying the way that my libraries are configured in Emby.  I've tried using UNC paths, and I've tried configuring them using the standard Windows paths as well.

It should also be noted that video files have no troubles playing, the only problem is with Music.

It should also be noted that music files were my main motivating factor for attempting to use Kodi as a front-end, as I believe that the Android TV app doesn't yet support music.

Hopefully it will one day.

Also, hopefully I'm correct in assuming that it's not supported by the Emby for Android TV app.  

I haven't found a way to get it to work there yet either.

;)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Paste of my log file is included at the following link:

http://pastebin.com/sWZ7QXJJ

Angelblue05

Music works a bit differently, unfortunately it doesn't report the final path so I can't see where the error lies. Can you tell me what your path to music looks like in your emby dashboard > library?

As for the singles issue, it is resolved with the latest beta version 1.1.53. It will eventually come to stable once things are running smoothly for everyone on beta.

BlueKachina

Music works a bit differently, unfortunately it doesn't report the final path so I can't see where the error lies. Can you tell me what your path to music looks like in your emby dashboard > library?

As for the singles issue, it is resolved with the latest beta version 1.1.53. It will eventually come to stable once things are running smoothly for everyone on beta.

Holy quick response.

I've tried UNC paths to network shares such as

\\BADASSDESKTOP\Music - Kids

And also tried standard Windows paths like

E:\Music - Kids

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Edit

My apologies on the text replace above. Not sure how to escape backslashes in this editor. Especially from a mobile device

Edited by BlueKachina

Angelblue05

Quick question, your video content is direct playing or direct streaming?

Your music should work correctly with UNC paths. Your issue might be caused by the need for your network user/pass for Kodi to be able to access your music. Try the following: 

In the emby for Kodi add-on settings > playback > Add network username and password to access your content over network. Then reset your local database and let me know if it works once your content is synced back to Kodi.

BlueKachina

I've never really looked into whether things were transcoding or not before, so hopefully what I did will be an accurate response.

I navigated to Playback/Transcoding from Emby server admin console, and enabled debug transcoding logging, and saved that setting.

I then proceeded to play a really old movie. It generated a log file when Emby Android TV was playing it, but not when Kodi was playing it.

My guess is that this means Kodi is direct playing it. Please advise if there is a better way to confirm this.

Movies libraries are configured using standard Windows paths though, and music is now configured to use UNC paths to network shares where EVERYONE has full access.

I just followed your directions for configuring The Emby Addon.

Configured it for the Emby account I wanted. Configured the playback tab with the username /password to a local Administrator account on my Win 8.1 machine (the Emby server), and performed a local database reset (full resync) from Kodi's Android TV app. Same problem persists.

Would I be better off using a beta version of Emby for Kodi? Willing to try it, and provide feedback if you think it could help us both out.

If so though, I don't know where to get it from.

Thanks again for your assistance

Angelblue05

The best way to confirm it is to go to your emby dashboard and mouse over the Kodi active device (while playback is happening in Kodi). 

562edd3978e6e_activedevice.png

Edited by Angelblue05

BlueKachina

Aha... I thought I had remembered seeing it there, but couldn't find it from my mobile.

If it's a mouse over, then that explains it.

Went to my PC to check.

Movies are direct streaming from Kodi. This seems to be regardless of whether they are configured by UNC path or by Windows path. It was transcoding during playback in Emby Android TV though.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Ok, at this point, please post your Kodi log of video playback, thanks. It's the only way to really know what's going on. If it's your paths or your credentials causing this issue. Then we should know why your music is not working at the same time. :)

Blue Kachina

Arg

Things are getting worse for me.

I've been experimenting, trying all sorts of settings, and resetting the local DB after each change to see what kind of impact it might have.

Since I was dealing with a lot of resets, I tried to scale back the amount of time that I'd have to wait after each one by creating a test profile with access to nothing but a single movie file.

I tried the following types of adjustments:

• Configuring libraries via UNC using computer name (ie \\BADASSDESKTOP\Movies Test
  • Configuring libraries via UNC using IP Address (ie \\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX\Movies Test
  • Configuring libraries via Windows Path (ie E:\Video\Movies Test
  • Configuring Emby for Kodi Addon using no network username/password
  • Configuring Emby for Kodi Addon using password protected local administrator account credentials
  • Configuring Emby for Kodi Addon using local administrator account credentials that are not password protected
  • Configuring Emby for Kodi Addon to use HTTP instead of SMB
  • Configuring Emby for Kodi Addon to use SMB instead of HTTP
  • Configuring Emby for Kodi Addon to use direct streaming of music

None of these options are working for me.

It's now preventing me from even playing video.

The video file still gets synced up into Kodi's local database, however it's not playable any longer.

I've attached a screenshot of what is showing when I attempt to play the video now.

I'm also linking to a logfile that was created with ALL of the debug options enabled in hopes that this can help identify the issue.

http://paste2.org/PH4YF4Fy

I've skimmed through it myself, but can't make much sense of it.

I notice some references to ports that I haven't forwarded.  Do I need to do this?

Do I need to enable UPnP in my router?

Let me know if you have any suggestions please, and thanks again for your assistance!

post-535-0-70738200-1445922057_thumb.jpg

Angelblue05

First of all, no need for Kodi debug, unless specifically asked because it just makes your logs unreadable. :)

Let's focus on your video first, and once that's fix, your music should fall into place.

1. You want your emby library path to be UNC. So you can read content over your network. I use mine with the computer name and it works just fine. This means point 1 and 2 in your post should be correct.

2. Disable Play from HTTP in the add-on settings.

3. Make sure local paths instead of plugin redirect is disabled under the sync option tab in the add-on settings.

Press ok. Then reset your database. Let your content resync.

Then post a Kodi log of your video playback, as I asked previously so I can see what's wrong with your setup. Thank.

Edited by Angelblue05

• Solution
BlueKachina

Just got movies direct playing, and some music playing too.

Not sure how TBH though. It's almost like it was caching my network credentials or something.

After trying the settings you recommended, and still failing to get it to work, I resorted to reinstalling the add-on, and setting it up again. Worked like a charm then.

Now I'm off to scan my real profiles. Thanks for all your help!

• Like 1