"MyMB" centralized server

sfnetwork

sfnetwork

I think it could be interesting having a "MyMB" centralized server (like MyPlex for Plex) so that users could connect their MB server to it.

This request is specifically for centralized credential purposes. (for now  ;) )

This "service" would know the MB server LAN and WAN IP so that clients would always simply use their credentials (that IMO should be the same as forum ones) and never have to worry about which IP or dns name to use to connect to the mb server wherever they are (local or remote)

This would also open the door for other future potential features, other centralized features and cool integrations... 

Edited by sfnetwork

Yes, interesting, but probably something we'd have to charge for and maybe even a recurring subscription due to the infrastructure costs.

sfnetwork

First step is a built in walkthrough wizard. Second step - yes, maybe its something we should look into

The way I see it, the walkthrough wizard would not the be the same if there was a centralized server...

Maybe I misundertand this, but the way I see it, this would be step 2.... (well if we plan to have this kind of service)

Edited by sfnetwork

sfnetwork

Because myplex is optional so some guidance is needed for those that don't want to sign up. That's step 1. Those who want to make it even easier on top of that can use the my mb.

Ah... good point.

discinabq

I Think the way you have it now with direct connect only to the server's web interface is the way to keep it. It sets MB3 apart from plex. Sometimes the Plex central servers are down for logging in and this impacts clients as well. I also think leaving the web interface decentralized will allow for more customization's to come to the surface.

If there is anything to focus on - it would be to have an all in one desktop client that supports both local and remote media - in the same library(not different libraries for remote and local). Transcoding only happens when it needs to and is done automatically based on the location of the media. The end user would be unaffected. If this could be done, and stable. It would rule the market.

Edited by discinabq
  • Like 1

First step is a built in walkthrough wizard. Second step - yes, maybe its something we should look into

Because myplex is optional so some guidance is needed for those that don't want to sign up. That's step 1. Those who want to make it even easier on top of that can use the my mb.

sfnetwork

I Think the way you have it now with direct connect only to the server's web interface is the way to keep it. It sets MB3 apart from plex. Sometimes the Plex central servers are down for logging in and this impacts clients as well. I also think leaving the web interface decentralized will allow for more customization's to come to the surface.

If there is anything to focus on - it would be to have an all in one desktop client that supports both local and remote media - in the same library(not different libraries for remote and local). Transcoding only happens when it needs to and is done automatically based on the location of the media. The end user would be unaffected. If this could be done, and stable. It would rule the market.

Well, this would be optional, users won't have to use it and will still have the option to keep logging in directly the MB server like now...

That's the thing, if the service would be down, direct access to the MB server would still be doable like it is now by configuring manually the connection in the client (same go for Plex BTW).

You have to understand that in my mind, this isn't only about the WAN/LAN easy access, it's also about the possibilities that it will give in the future.

About the "all in one desktop client", I guess that would be MBT right now and from what you're describing, you would want, like the Android, Roku, etc.. to have local and remote setting with video quality that can ask mb server for transcoding depending on it. Should request this in MBT forum...

I'm not sure what you mean by "not different libraries for remote and local"... however the library is accessed, it's stay the same library...

One important thing also that is very different is that MB3 has local users so the multi user function wouldn't depend on the "MyMB" credentials (Like it's the case with Plex; multi users must be MyPlex users). 

***I had this opinion before I actually really tested Plex (about not having a centralized server) but after a lot of testing on many different devices in different scenarios, I have to say that it's so fast and easy to just put my credentials in the client wherever I am and be connected on my server...

I'm also thinking about the typical end user here... The only network task this user would have to do is to make sure the MB server is connected, after this, just use the "MyMB" credentials. Right now, users have to add the local IP and the remote IP/dns name for each client they setup plus, they may need to get a third party service like dyndns, etc.. if they don't have a static IP, etc...

Anyways, not trying to start a debate, just a suggestion I think that would make MB3 solution better and more flexible for all type of users.

It's more about what users want so if the MB community don't want this kind of feature, that's OK too...  :)

• Like 1

Beardyname

sorry for the interruption but this is gonna be a short one,

I think its very important to leave this optional, for several reason of which privacy is one. Yes i do trust the entire project, but that's not the point. But as long as this is an optional thing and not mandatory this should be fine.

The reason why i don't even consider plex is that i have no clue whats going on with their back-end, are they looking at exactly what kind of files i have ? i don't know, probably not but it cant be fully excluded.

• Like 1

sfnetwork

It would be optional I presume (and again, MyPlex is as well)

Anyway, it seems MB community isn't really interested with this kind of feature from the look of it so... to my surprise, I'm a minority so far.

• Like 1

On the contrary SF, it would be extremely valuable if we can pull it off. There's a saying in the design world that users don't know what they want until you give it to them. and i think this would fall in that category.

• Like 1

Beardyname

What Luke said ^^

I would think a lot and i do mean a lot of users would want this, i just wanted to post my opinion since I personally don't want anything like this and therefore i think it should be optional :)