A Couple of LiveTV Issues

bjurrens

bjurrens

I have two issues that I'm unsure where to start with.  First, when viewing the TV Guide on my Nexus Player, the left side of the guide (the part that displays the Station Name and Channel Number) is significantly cut-off.  It almost appears that I'm seeing cutoff on left, right, and below the guide, but it's most noticeable on the left side.  I've attached a picture I took to help demonstrate what I'm seeing.  I encounter this in both the standard TV guide and the new Live TV Guide that is still in beta testing.  I haven't run into this anywhere else within the App.   Is there a setting to adjust the guide dimensions somewhere that could potentially be causing this?  I've encountered this from the first day I tried Emby so I don't believe it to be an issue strictly in the beta path so I've posted it here.  

The second issue I'm having is that there are times when it appears that Emby isn't attempting to stream fast enough from my HDHomerun.  I encounter significant image breakup and audio dropouts which would seem to indicate that perhaps it was a maxed out CPU, but if I look at my CPU usage it's below 10% for FFMPEG, which in and of itself isn't correct.  Normally viewing HD programs I'll see usage up near 50% depending on current motion.  I look at the HDHomerun's tuner status and the output bitrate is significantly lower than it should be for the program I'm viewing (HD shouldn't be below 2 Mbps in Heavy Mode even in h.264 unless it's a static image and it's most certainly not when I'm looking at this)  I don't know which log you'd need for this issue (transcode or server) so let me know which you need and I'll supply whichever.  I've encountered this issue on many versions of server both Dev and Release which is why I'm posting it outside of the Testing forum.  

My current versions of everything is below for reference.  Thanks.

Windows 10

Emby Server - 3.0.5772.319

Nexus Player Android 6.0

Emby Android TV - 1.1.15.g

post-66491-0-80488600-1445469857_thumb.jpg

Spaceboy

First part, you need to try and find settings on your to to reduce the overscan. There are no settings to change this on the np. I know because I was in the exact same situation and had to swap the np for a ftv because my older tv did not have this ability

bjurrens

So, I'm a dink.  Thanks Spaceboy for jogging my memory.  The TV was overscanning 5% automatically (luckily I can turn it off) to "hide noise at the edge of the picture".  It was overscanning everything, the guide was the only thing that actually uses the entire raster so it was the only place to show the issue. 

The second issue sounds like signal break-up from the source.  Is it an antenna or cable?

Can you play the same content at the same time fine from the web client?

bjurrens

I'm using an antenna as my source.  As to the second question, playout of the same channel at the same time in the Web client plays back flawlessly.  One thing I noted, even though both streams are looking at the same channel, Emby used both tuners in the HDHomerun.  Tuner 1 (which went active when I started the Nexus Player stream) is showing a streaming rate of .5-2.5 Mbps while Tuner 2 (which went active when I started streaming via the web client) is showing a streaming rate of 5-8 Mbps.  The program is Nashville on ABC so it's not a particularly active program in terms of bitrate needs.   Both tuners show the output profile as heavy.  Thanks.  

Also of note, from what I can make out amongst the blocks on the Nexus Player, that stream is well behind (greater than 30 seconds) the web client stream even though both are transcoding on the same source channel.

It appears that even though Emby activated Tuner 2 for the web client, it doesn't appear to have been using it.  When I stopped the channel on the Nexus Player, the web client stream also stopped (froze on last frame of video).  Tuner 2 on the HDHomerun is still streaming as if the web client was still connected.  Only when I close the web client playout, does Tuner 2 free up.  

Edited by bjurrens

We don't attempt to share tuners that are on the same channel yet so I think your last issue there is just a bug where the server is getting confused because they are the same channel.

The original issue is probably related to the bitrate as the NP is trying to bring it over at the full bitrate the source is providing but the web client is transcoding it down to a much lower rate.

Luke - does the web client do this automatically for Live TV or is this just due to the settings he had at the time?  I'm using auto bitrate detection so I would have requested a max rate much higher than the source thus getting the full rate.  Should I be dumbing down the bitrate on Live TV...?

bjurrens

Something I discovered tonight and it was probably true last night as well as all versions are the same as last night.  It appears I'm able to stream/transcode 1080i content to my Nexus Player with fairly decent quality.  There is some interlacing artifacts, but it's pretty watchable.  Looking at the transcode log at 1080i, it's downrezing to 1440x810 and the web client reports it's outputting at 8.3 Mbps.  720p content is continuing to have problems.  It looks like it's trying to copy the video stream and only transcode the audio, but there are a ton of errors right off the bat.  The web management client is reporting that it's trying to stream at 3.3 Mbps.  I've attached both logs (1080 was a 1080 source, 720 was 720) for your information.  Again, like last night the web client plays back without issue, but the nexus player is choking.  If you need me to try anything, please let me know.

As to the comment about the bitrate, something else I wanted to mention, if I watch an SD channel, Emby is transcoding up to the maximum bitrate (currently 50.1 Mbps) as I have the Nexus Player set to Auto for the Max Streaming Bitrate.  That would seem to imply that bitrate wouldn't be an issue for any HD over the air channel which at max would be around 18.5 Mpbs in Mpeg-2.  The conversion in the HDHomerun to Mpeg-4 would knock that down a bit more from there.  Again, thanks for all the work you guys do with this, and if I need any more info, let me know.

720-transcode-5720dbaa-a25f-4efd-9a1a-d9d139d242d2.txt

1080-transcode-e5fef4f8-3a32-49b2-b178-fd82c1605a5c.txt