remove info from detail page

Taurec

Hi,

Please remove the information for the physical path the files on the detail side of movies .

This information should be able to see only admins .

Greetings Taurec

• Like 5

Cerothen

You can do this using custom css under server-settings-branding

span[class=mediaInfoAttribute] { display:none; }

span[class=mediaInfoLabel] { display:none; }

Hello Cerothen,

nice idea to do this with css.

But your css lines remove all information.

The infos self are OK but not the line of the path.

cu Taurec

AdrianW

Please don't remove this. It only appears in the web client anyway.

I think he's asking for it to be hidden in the WebUI for non-admin users only.

Koleckai Silvestri

I think he's asking for it to be hidden in the WebUI for non-admin users only.

Yes, I know. I use it all the time on non-admin users if there is a playback problem. There is absolutely no reason it needs to be removed. Removing it provides no benefit.

Oh well, it will probably be removed anyway. Removing features and making the entire system more difficult to use seems to be the development path these days.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri
  • Like 1

Yes, I know. I use it all the time on non-admin users if there is a playback problem. There is absolutely no reason it needs to be removed. Removing it provides no benefit.

Oh well, it will probably be removed anyway. Removing features and making the entire system more difficult to use seems to be the development path these days.

The benefit is one of parental control.  Our parental controls are completely useless if your kid can just go find the path directly.  Of course, they may be able to do that anyway, but we're making it a bit too easy here.

Cerothen

You can do this using custom css under server-settings-branding

span[class=mediaInfoAttribute] { display:none; }

span[class=mediaInfoLabel] { display:none; }

@@Taurec

How about the following then?

div[style=max-width:600px;overflow:hidden] { display:none; }

I didnt try the previous CSS as I was in bed already, haha. This time I tried it out and I get the following which I think suites your needs:

5627a9c39acd6_Capture.png

Alternatively you could use the following to hide the entire plane if you wanted to go that route:

[class=detailSection audioVideoMediaInfo] { display:none; }
Edited by Cerothen
  • Like 2

Koleckai Silvestri

The benefit is one of parental control.  Our parental controls are completely useless if your kid can just go find the path directly.  Of course, they may be able to do that anyway, but we're making it a bit too easy here.

I rely on this path for my daughter being able to find the file directly because it doesn't always play correctly over VPN when she is 60 miles away at university. This way she can find the file and play it with VLC.

I see the point of Parental Control. I don't use that functionality as my youngest is almost 20. However content should already be obfuscated by parental controls and not show up at all. 

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Yes, but the paths of other items would probably provide enough clues to find the blocked stuff.

It is a weak defense either way as there will always be the ability to discover the content through the file system with or without this display.  Just makes a bit of sense to only show this type of thing for an admin.

Hi

@ Cerothen

that's it. (div[style=max-width:600px;overflow:hidden] { display:none; })

(it remove also the path for admins but anyway for me)

thank you.

@ all

i did not check any other clients.(only the web client)

For me, no standart user has to see any information about "real" paths.

Admins are a different story.

cu Taurec

Edited by Taurec
  • Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Yes, but the paths of other items would probably provide enough clues to find the blocked stuff.

It is a weak defense either way as there will always be the ability to discover the content through the file system with or without this display.  Just makes a bit of sense to only show this type of thing for an admin.

Like I said above, I am resigned to it being removed. Makes the system more difficult for my family to use by doing so but since adding Options to the system is frowned upon, it is what it is. Just wish there was a way to handle everyone's needs instead of making the system more difficult for some of us.

Cerothen

I thought it was already resolved, he wanted the path gone and now it is gone using existing features. I don't think that the devs should really spend any more time on it.

• 2 years later...
runtimesandbox

I would also like to see the option to remove file path information from all or non admin users. 

Could an option for this not sit under Advanced settings? 

• 2 years later...
harrv

I guess this is a case of not being able to please all of the people all of the time, but as the admin I relied heavily on being able to see the path on an item detail page. The path has been gone now (for admin and regular uses alike) since the latest release, and now Emby is indeed more difficult for me to use, since I do almost all of my library maintenance and administration through the file system, and from the detail page I now get no hints about where on the file system the item lives. I have nine media libraries, and I also can't even tell what library an item is in from the detail page. Before, when I could see the path, I knew everything I needed to know about where it was and what library it is in, but now I'm lost. :(

I wish I had known this change was coming so I could have given my feedback earlier.  One of the nice things about opensource is that if the devs of a project remove a feature I need, I can add it back and compile it myself, but Emby has made that impossible too. I know I could do it with Jellyfin, but then I'd lose the Premiere features I've paid for. 😢 :sigh:

• Like 1

rbjtech
19 minutes ago, harrv said:

I guess this is a case of not being able to please all of the people all of the time, but as the admin I relied heavily on being able to see the path on an item detail page. The path has been gone now (for admin and regular uses alike) since the latest release, and now Emby is indeed more difficult for me to use, since I do almost all of my library maintenance and administration through the file system, and from the detail page I now get no hints about where on the file system the item lives. I have nine media libraries, and I also can't even tell what library an item is in from the detail page. Before, when I could see the path, I knew everything I needed to know about where it was and what library it is in, but now I'm lost. :(

I wish I had known this change was coming so I could have given my feedback earlier.  One of the nice things about opensource is that if the devs of a project remove a feature I need, I can add it back and compile it myself, but Emby has made that impossible too. I know I could do it with Jellyfin, but then I'd lose the Premiere features I've paid for. 😢 :sigh:

for Admin users, the path is still shown under Media Info ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

harrv
19 minutes ago, Luke said:

Yes it is still visible for admin users.

I would not have written this post if that were the case. I'm using Emby server version 4.6.2.0. I am the admin. There is no path visible in Media Info for any movie or episode I've checked.

harrv

I'm trying to think why this would be different for me, if other admins can still see the path. I recently switched my Emby server to another Windows PC using the "Server Configuration Backup" plugin, including all of my users. In order to install the plugin on the new server, I had to go through some basic configuration first, including creating an admin user. I used the same name as my previous admin user (steve) and after the restore was done perhaps that particular feature no longer recognizes that steve is the admin? Except the rest of Emby does. I can do everything else that an admin can do, such as see and take actions in the server dashboard, create new users or libraries, etc. When I go into Users and click on steve, I see that the "Allow this user to manage the server" IS checked.

Any thoughts about why I cannot see any paths anymore in Media Info on movie and episode pages?

roaku
16 minutes ago, harrv said:

I'm trying to think why this would be different for me, if other admins can still see the path. I recently switched my Emby server to another Windows PC using the "Server Configuration Backup" plugin, including all of my users. In order to install the plugin on the new server, I had to go through some basic configuration first, including creating an admin user. I used the same name as my previous admin user (steve) and after the restore was done perhaps that particular feature no longer recognizes that steve is the admin? Except the rest of Emby does. I can do everything else that an admin can do, such as see and take actions in the server dashboard, create new users or libraries, etc. When I go into Users and click on steve, I see that the "Allow this user to manage the server" IS checked.

Any thoughts about why I cannot see any paths anymore in Media Info on movie and episode pages?

Have you described which app you're using when you don't see the paths?

harrv
9 minutes ago, roaku said:

Have you described which app you're using when you don't see the paths?

I use the latest Firefox browser and I also use the iOS app. Paths no longer show up on either of those.

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play
44 minutes ago, harrv said:

Do you have any custom css?

path.thumb.jpg.2acd70ace72c680078f65f7edcb99e84.jpg

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, harrv said:

I would not have written this post if that were the case. I'm using Emby server version 4.6.2.0. I am the admin. There is no path visible in Media Info for any movie or episode I've checked.

Make another admin account for test, see is it visible under that account?

• Like 1

harrv
12 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Make another admin account for test, see is it visible under that account?

Good idea. I tried that, logged in as the new admin user, and still see no path.

image.thumb.png.6232ec717dff0933cc04b7452b59f624.png