Live TV Padding being ignored?

bxsteez

I am using serverwmc and I'm running into an issue where the padding isn't working.  I have it set for 15 and 15 and the most I get is 5 min prior to the show and nothing after. I know there padding settings in the server client and I changed that as well as the ones directly in WMC.  Nothing seems to fix this padding.  I'm wondering if there is a smaller intricacy that I'm missing.  Maybe it has to grab a new tuner so it drops the one it is using? 

Any ideas?

mellomade

If you schedule a single recording with no other conflicts or requests from tuners (at that time) - does it work then?

Depending on what you have set to record that uses the same channel will use the same tuner and your padding will be ignored.  Most of those padding settings in WMC are 'when possible' - so if it ignores your settings then something else is requesting that tuner during that time.  Live TV requests, other recordings?

Also - if you set the scheduled recordings before changing the default padding you will have to go into the individual recording settings and change the padding there.

Edited by mellomade

krustyreturns

Padding is working for me.  Like @@mellomade says, wmc doesn't honor padding for back to back recordings on the same channel.  Feel free to post your swmc log though after you set a recording and I can take a look at it.

If you schedule a single recording with no other conflicts or requests from tuners (at that time) - does it work then?

Depending on what you have set to record that uses the same channel will use the same tuner and your padding will be ignored.  Most of those padding settings in WMC are 'when possible' - so if it ignores your settings then something else is requesting that tuner during that time.  Live TV requests, other recordings?

Also - if you set the scheduled recordings before changing the default padding you will have to go into the individual recording settings and change the padding there.

That is exactly it.  When I have one show recording and the next show set to record is when the padding is ignored.  So it uses the same tuner for the same channel?  Is there anyway to change that?  I have 9 tuners available so it would be useful for it to use another tuner when available.

mellomade

WMC will always use the same tuner to record the same channel - no way I know of to change this.  Since WMC only supports 4 tuners per OS - this is actually the preferred method for back-to-backs so recording 4 different channels simultaneously is possible. 

Please forgive my curiousity - but what are you recording that requires 15 minutes of padding on either side of a scheduled show that does not cut into the subsequent recordings?  The guide timing should be pretty accurate - so padding of more than a few minutes should not be necessary.

WMC will always use the same tuner to record the same channel - no way I know of to change this.  Since WMC only supports 4 tuners per OS - this is actually the preferred method for back-to-backs so recording 4 different channels simultaneously is possible. 

Please forgive my curiousity - but what are you recording that requires 15 minutes of padding on either side of a scheduled show that does not cut into the subsequent recordings?  The guide timing should be pretty accurate - so padding of more than a few minutes should not be necessary.

It was a long road to here to be honest.  I thought the timing would be pretty accurate but some how I ended up with shows where the last 3-5 mins were cut off and of course that is the most frustrating thing on the planet.  I pushed the padding to see what was going on so I could fine tune.  Now I'm not sure what is happening but i'm still losing the ends of shows.  I just had a random thought... It might be the time on the PC.  Let me check that and report back.

krustyreturns

Have you tried forcing (requiring) the padding?  Make sure it is set to 10 minutes or more.

Have you tried forcing (requiring) the padding?  Make sure it is set to 10 minutes or more.

I have.  That did not work for me. But I assume it's because its on the same channel.  It has to switch to the other show to maintain the recording.  I've just never had this issue with WMC itself.  It might have nothing to do with ServerWMC.  I checked my server PC and the time was off by like 12 mins.  That is probably the cause of the original problem.  I'm going to test it out right now.

mjktg99

I have.  That did not work for me. But I assume it's because its on the same channel.  It has to switch to the other show to maintain the recording.  I've just never had this issue with WMC itself.  It might have nothing to do with ServerWMC.  I checked my server PC and the time was off by like 12 mins.  That is probably the cause of the original problem.  I'm going to test it out right now.

I just saw your post...

Here is what I did to get my time correct..  http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1510&sid=815ca40cd60b4a5e264290b3424dc35a#p1510

• Like 1

To be safe I would set the time to automatically sychronize with time.windows.com.

That is how I had it setup but I think it kept getting errors and not updating. I'm going to try what mjktg99 recommended in the link and see.

So I fixed the time on my server and reduced the pre and post padding to 4mins.  I tried to record two shows one right after another.  I got 4 mins prior to the first show and 4 after the last show.   If I intend on recording one show right after another on the same channel I need to make the padding 0 on both ends.  Does that sound right to everyone?

Spaceboy

With wmc if you set the post padding to at least 10 mins then it will always use a second tuner for back to back recordings. Personally I would do this rather than reducing padding to zero but I had loads of tuners

With wmc if you set the post padding to at least 10 mins then it will always use a second tuner for back to back recordings. Personally I would do this rather than reducing padding to zero but I had loads of tuners

I thought WMC doesn't use a different tuner if it's the same channel?

Spaceboy

It does if you set post padding to "at least 10 mins" or higher, must be at least, not where possible. No idea how this is worded in swmc or even whether it provides this correctly to wmc but I know from 7 years of wmc use that the post padding trick works in wmc

krustyreturns

@@bxsteez, you can find lots of info about this on the web (like the greenbutton forums).  The upshot is, if you want to force wmc's recording service to use a different tuner in order to ensure you get the padding you request - even for back to back recordings on the same channel - force the padding and set it for at least 10 minutes.

It does if you set post padding to "at least 10 mins" or higher, must be at least, not where possible. No idea how this is worded in swmc or even whether it provides this correctly to wmc but I know from 7 years of wmc use that the post padding trick works in wmc

@@bxsteez, you can find lots of info about this on the web (like the greenbutton forums).  The upshot is, if you want to force wmc's recording service to use a different tuner in order to ensure you get the padding you request - even for back to back recordings on the same channel - force the padding and set it for at least 10 minutes.

I've had the padding set to 15mins and it violated that constantly and that is why I started the thread.  I thought it was because it was using the same tuner but we are saying that is not hte case?  If it is set to 15 mins it should be using a different tuner.

I have used WMC for recordings and never had an issue before.  It was only when i started using ServerWMC that I started having the issues.

krustyreturns

Serverwmc uses the same recording service that wmc uses, so its doubtful that it is causing the problem unless for some reason the padding is not getting communicated correctly (that's why I requested the log a few posts ago).  

The problem has always been there with  wmc, for example:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1953

Serverwmc uses the same recording service that wmc uses, so its doubtful that it is causing the problem unless for some reason the padding is not getting communicated correctly (that's why I requested the log a few posts ago).  

The problem has always been there with  wmc, for example:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1953

Hmm that is strange.  I never had that issue in WMC.  I attached the log file. I'm testing it again right now with 5 min pre padding and 11mins post padding

ServerWMC_Service_20151019.log

krustyreturns

I think I see the problem.  You are setting that the padding as required in serverwmc, but for emby clients these settings are ignored because in emby itself you can set whether the padding is required.   Or at least that used to be the case, because looking at the current version of emby (dev), it looks like they removed this option, I bet this happened when emby-tv was integrated (it would have been nice if someone had told me...).  So you think you have been requiring the padding but it actually has not been getting set as required.

I need to look some more, but if I am right, I'll need to change serverwmc so that it doesn't ignore serverwmc's padding 'requirement' setting for emby.  If you want, I can give you a test build of serverwmc with the fix if you have time to try it out, so long as you let me know what happens.

I think I see the problem.  You are setting that the padding as required in serverwmc, but for emby clients these settings are ignored because in emby itself you can set whether the padding is required.   Or at least that used to be the case, because looking at the current version of emby (dev), it looks like they removed this option, I bet this happened when emby-tv was integrated (it would have been nice if someone had told me...).  So you think you have been requiring the padding but it actually has not been getting set as required.

I need to look some more, but if I am right, I'll need to change serverwmc so that it doesn't ignore serverwmc's padding 'requirement' setting for emby.  If you want, I can give you a test build of serverwmc with the fix if you have time to try it out, so long as you let me know what happens.

So the emby is ignoring serverwmc's padding?  Or are you saying there use to be an option to force padding emby?  I could not find that setting but maybe it was removed. I have time to test out a test build

Edited by bxsteez

krustyreturns

After checking with Luke about the changes to emby, I found you can test it with the version you have - you just have to change some settings.  Currently you have serverwmc configured to get the default padding from wmc.  Instead of this, go to the 'Record' tab and set it to use the padding defined there - in other words, check the 'Use this padding' option and then set whatever you'd like as the padding (this will be the default padding emby will use).  Also make sure to check that the padding is forced, i.e. required.

After making these changes, test it again by creating back to back recordings on the same channel with an end padding >= 10minutes.  If it still doesn't work, send me the log after the test run.

I gave it a try using those settings.  I set the pre padding to 5mins and post to 11mins.  It works on some channels and not on others and to be honest i'm not sure why.  I recorded something on Fox and it didn't work but I recorded something on the History Channel and it did work.  I'm not sure what is going on there.

krustyreturns

It will only work on scheduled recordings made after the setting change, not on ones made before the setting change.  Could that explain the difference in the results?