buddyweiser

buddyweiser

MediaBrowser Classic has just decided to stop working. However, it still works on my 360. I think it might have something to do with the registry cleaner that I used recently, though I don't know exactly when it stopped working as I have been using MBT on my computer most recently. Can anyone help me fix this? The MediaBrowser startup screen displays, but then I get an "Invalid Application" after that.

post-963-0-21034400-1386064259_thumb.png

Registry cleaners aren't the best of things to use as they can stuff up a fair bit or delete wanted files.

I suggest uninstalling and do a reinstall that will replace files if they are missing.

If a reinstall doesn't fix it, please follow the instructions in the How to Report a Problem post to find the error in the event log.

buddyweiser

I fixed the issue. Somehow an outdated version of ROC theme was causing the inability to launch. I simply uninstalled it.

• 2 months later...

Another data point:

MBC Reports "INVALID APPLICATION" when launching via WMC.

MB Server version 3.0.5135.31685

MB Classic version 3.0.127.0.2-9.1

Themes:  Aztec 1.0.3.0, Breeze 1.0.11.0, Chocolate 3.0.3.8, Crystal 1.0.10.2, ROC 1.0.10.2, Subdued 3.0.1.13

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1 updated through 2/13/2014 patches

Since MBC now allows controlling plug-ins within the WMC environment, instead of only via the Configurator, the first time a newer version of one of the premium themes was available, I got that INVALID APPICATION error.  I re-tried starting MBC within the same session of WMC three times, and then it let me into MBC.  I then went to Configure/Plug-ins and updated the theme. Then the MBC application started normally on subsequent uses.

Why are you on MBC 127?  129 has been available for a bit.

In any case, I wasn't aware of any changes in MBC that would actually break old themes but I guess it is possible.  If you got really stuck, you could always remove the plug-in from the plug-ins folder manually.

newfiend

I don't know why but my PC updated to MBC 129 about a week before my htpc prompted for the same update.. Didn't know if it was a difference in OS as one has windows 8.1 and the other has windows 7 but it did take @ week before I got the prompt to update

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

I don't know why but my PC updated to MBC 129 about a week before my htpc prompted for the same update.. Didn't know if it was a difference in OS as one has windows 8.1 and the other has windows 7 but it did take @ week before I got the prompt to update

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Probably a difference in your system update level setting.

• 2 months later...
iam4uk

I thought I was over this problem, but it has been back for the past week or so...

MB Server version 3.0.5231.40980

MB Classic version 3.0.160.0.4-30.1

(this problem happened with the previous version also)

The INVALID APPLICATION failure when launching MBC within Win7MCE happens every "first attempt" at launching it following a reboot or power-up of the computer.  After that first attempt fails consistently 100% of the time, subsequent attempts to launch succeed.  Launching MBC is effective for as long as I don't have to reboot.  But after reboot, there is no variation:  launching MBC for the first time thereafter will fail with the INVALID APPLICATION message.

Suggestions?

Edited by iam4uk

Cheesegeezer

I thought I was over this problem, but it has been back for the past week or so...

MB Server version 3.0.5231.40980

MB Classic version 3.0.160.0.4-30.1

(this problem happened with the previous version also)

The INVALID APPLICATION failure when launching MBC within Win7MCE happens every "first attempt" at launching it following a reboot or power-up of the computer.  After that first attempt fails consistently 100% of the time, subsequent attempts to launch succeed.  Launching MBC is effective for as long as I don't have to reboot.  But after reboot, there is no variation:  launching MBC for the first time thereafter will fail with the INVALID APPLICATION message.

Suggestions?

Which skin are you using. Also we will need system logs from event viewer and mbc logs. See my signature and follow instructions on how to report problem.

Thanks

• Like 1

iam4uk

If I switch to Chocolate, a few things happen:

- I get fat.  :0

- I lose the pretty media interface I paid extra to acquire.

- And... the first startup of Media Browser Classic within Win7MC yields a different result than it did with Crystal as the theme.  Instead of "INVALID APPLICATION," the application starts but fails to find any items on the MB Server.  The attached screenshot shows this result.

Note:  the MB Server is running on this same CinemaPC, rather than on a different computer on the network.  However, the media files are shared, and I do use Network Paths in MB Server library setup, rather than "local drive" paths.

This behavior suggests that MB Server is not communicating with MBC "smoothly," such that it takes one initial failure before it works on subsequent attempts until the next reboot.

Any ideas or feedback or troubleshooting suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. 

post-1202-0-24505100-1398953182_thumb.png

Edited by iam4uk

This is a network initialization or hardware issue.

What is happening is the initial retrieval of your top-level items is taking over 64 seconds.  Thus, MBC is timing out and showing no data.  Chocolate handles that situation properly but Crystal doesn't and crashes.

My best guess as to what is happening is that either the entire server on which the media resides or one or more of the drives within it are asleep/spun down and it is taking too long to spin them back up to get the data.  Either that, or your actual network connection to the media is not initialized and, likewise, is taking too long to respond.

You can do one of a few of things:

1) You can discover whatever the item is that is asleep and curtail that from happening OR

2) You could create some sort of bat file or something that will force that item to start waking up as soon as you start your MBC machine so that maybe it will be ready by the time we need it OR

3) You can increase the timeout in MBC (Advanced panel of config page) to something like 90 seconds and then it will work but take a minute or so whenever you encounter this situation.

iam4uk

Excellent insights, ebr. I will try to apply them to a solution. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cheesegeezer

I am running "Crystal" theme

Nuff said. Lol

Seriously, have you tried a full uninstall and reinstall of Crystal plugin OR uninstalling crystal crystal completely and trying chocolate or subdued to see if its theme related. Its hard to pin from the logs but i'm leaning with EBR's suggestions, however if all drives are on same machine should only notice a pause of a few seconds while the spin up.

Watson - The game is afoot!!

• Like 1

iam4uk

ebr, I do not see any input regarding the timeout for MBC on any page, tab or panel of Media Browser Classic Configurator nor Media Browser Server Dashboard.  Can you specify the setting's location more precisely?  Thanks.

Cheesegeezer

I thnk its in the advanced tab in mbc, where you would hit the config button in the ui or home page, scroll all the way to the right and you get to advanced tab, where you can enable delete and the update levels.

• Like 1