Question for Raspberry Pi 1 & 2 Users

reggierat

reggierat

First off i think Emby is brilliant and am really enjoying it.  My setup includes 2 x Nvidia ION's running Kodi (lounge and son's room) and 1 x Headless Raspberry Pi  + Wolfson DAC in the bedroom connected via analog to a stereo for music playback. Emby is running in Docker on Unraid.

previously everything was synced up using 2 x sql databases, one for us adults and another for our son.  The only issue i'm really having since making the switch is that the RPi is just too slow for Kodi (openelec 5.08) + Emby addon.  Using Yatse previously  music playback used to start in a couple of seconds if the NAS was asleep and almost instantly if it was awake already.  I'm finding that no matter which combination of settings i use the Pi rarely starts playing in less than 15+ seconds with Emby and this is frustrating my wife no end.  

Now i'm reluctant to go back to the previous setup because i can see how much better Emby is.  So now i'm wondering if this experience is considered normal for the Pi, i realise it's a slow little thing :)  and how much difference replacing it with the RPi2 would have.  Quick googling says it's about 6 times faster but would like to hear people's experiences with playback, especially time to start, time to play  another album and track skipping.  

Or alternatively, any other recommendations for something headless to run for just audio, i thought about Chromecast Audio but i'm guessing support for that may not be ready just yet and am looking for something i can buy now.

Angelblue05

Do you use direct paths instead of plugin paths in the add-on settings? (local paths instead of add-on redirect)

Edited by Angelblue05

reggierat

I do currently. I have also tried every combination of direct Stream + local paths with full resyncs each time while testing and playback seems almost the same in all scenarios.

xnappo

That doesn't sound right, with direct paths it should be the same as not using Emby at all. The Pi2 is a lot faster though.

i would suggest to change from openelec to osmc if all you use on a pi is kodi. i use it on my 3 pi1's and is fairly quick using direct path

• Like 1

reggierat

Just had a look at OSMC and it doesn't support the Wolfson DAC that I'm using ugggh . thinking I might atleast try openelec 5.95 first and if that doesn't work buy a Hifiberry.

Had a play this morning, Openelec 5.95 and OSMC reduce playback to about 8-10secs to start.  This will do for the moment, will test a RPi2 next 

Edited by reggierat

@regierat, I had a similar problem, however using a different setup, that turned out to be a LAN speed issue (2nd paragraph below).  In the process of troubleshooting all that I experimented with different base loads, setups, settings on Pi and Emby server, etc.  It was painful, I agree.

Just to echo what has been said above...definitely consider the Pi2...they are cheap and much faster/better than the orig Pi.  Regarding your Wolfson audio card, I'm not sure why you need it?...are you not able to do "passthrough" audio via HDMI?  If your TV or sound system will accept passthrough audio, you have another reason to go for Pi2/OSMC.  I switched from OpenELEC to OSMC and have never looked back...it's way better.  

One thing I would also say...do an audit on the bandwidth your Pi is actually getting (not what you think it's getting, or what it should get).  There are a few add-ons you can DL to test the bandwidth of your Pi.  If you're getting less than like 15 Mbps between your Pi and local server, your connection could be causing you problems.   This was an issue for me (Wi-Fi on Pi2) and I fixed with Power Line Adapters (cheap and FAST). I would go as far to say, never use Wi-Fi on Pi if you're planning to use it for streaming...there's just too much that can go wrong with it.

Good luck!

Jdiesel

Do you have another SD card to test? I have a suspicion that that might be the problem. On my RPi2 with a Samsung micro SD card playback starts instantly even when using the plugin paths. I don't even having a chance to see the Emby window pop up.

Also if you haven't already I recommend overclocking your RPi.

Jdiesel

Do you have another SD card to test? I have a suspicion that that might be the problem. On my RPi2 with a Samsung micro SD card playback starts instantly even when using the plugin paths. I don't even having a chance to see the Emby window pop up.

Also if you haven't already I recommend overclocking your RPi.