Looking to convert my Blu-rays and DVDs to digital for the first time

curlyp

Hello Community,

I feel like I am behind times as I am new to the digital/streaming world for Blu-Rays and DVDs!  I just purchased a QNAP TS-451 earlier this week for stoage/backup and soon to be streaming movies/music.  I have a ton of Blu-rays and DVDs that I would like to convert to digital format, but I am not sure where to begin.

While searching online I came across a post in the following thread:

I think it depends what you're after - MakeMKV is great if you don't mind the large file sizes (as no re-encoding takes place). - AdrianW

But for encoding stuff, I prefer MeGUI - quite a learning curve, but I think it gives much better results than handbrake as you have much greater control over how your video and audio is encoded.

I just use a combination of MakeMKV and Handbrake. They are complimentary not competing products. Both are currently free and haven't had problems with quality. - Koleckai Silvestri

Handbrake allows me to adjust resolution and bit rate after the fact. For instance, I had some episodes at 1080p and don't really need them above 720p. Can save up to 90% in space that way.

With most videos, I just let the server transcode. - Koleckai Silvestri

Based off the little research I did, it seems like a good amount of users prefer MakeMKV and Handbrake.  In the quote above, @@AdrianW states no re-encoding takes place.  What does he mean by this?  With every Blu-ray/DVD I rip, do I need to makes adjustments in Handbrake?  Lastly, is there a reason why I would need to adjust the resolution (i.e., playing on Main TV vs Tablet or phone)?

I appreciate any and all suggestions/guidance on this!  If anyone has a guide to converting my physical movies to digital I would really be interested in reading it.

Thanks in advance!

CP

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

I typically rip with makemkv and then reencode using handbrake to save space.  I don't change the resolution.  Emby can reencode for me where needed.

AdrianW

MakeMKV just rips the content off the disc and puts it into an mkv container - the video and audio tracks from the disc are directly copied and not altered - so you end up with 100% the same video and audio quality.

The only downside to this method is the amount of space that the files will take up - probably around 35GB for an average movie. 

You can re-encode these files to save space using a tool like Handbrake (I prefer MeGUI) - this can significantly reduce the file size whilst not losing too much quality. It's best to keep the original resolution, but cropping the black bars from the top and bottom of movies with aspects greater that 1.78:1 makes sense (this will slightly reduce file size and will also make the chapter images that Emby creates look better).

I typically rip with makemkv and then reencode using handbrake to save space.  I don't change the resolution.  Emby can reencode for me where needed.

Thanks for the info.  When you re-encode using handbrake, what settings do you use?  Does it reduce the quality of the video?

MakeMKV just rips the content off the disc and puts it into an mkv container - the video and audio tracks from the disc are directly copied and not altered - so you end up with 100% the same video and audio quality.

The only downside to this method is the amount of space that the files will take up - probably around 35GB for an average movie. 

You can re-encode these files to save space using a tool like Handbrake (I prefer MeGUI) - this can significantly reduce the file size whilst not losing too much quality. It's best to keep the original resolution, but cropping the black bars from the top and bottom of movies with aspects greater that 1.78:1 makes sense (this will slightly reduce file size and will also make the chapter images that Emby creates look better).

Thanks AdrianW!  Do most people re-encode the MKV files to reduce the size?  If I don't re-encode it, can I still stream it from my QNAP to my TV, Tablets, and Phones?

Koleckai Silvestri

Hard drives are inexpensive these days so re-encoding isn't as necessary. You can put 24 terabytes in a machine for less than $1500.00.

However you can use tools like MeGUI or Handbrake to make videos more likely to play on your devices without transcoding. Transcoding is done by the Emmy server to allow video to play on more devices. This could be as simple as changing the container from mkv to mp4 or it could be changing the entire video stream on the fly. If your server can't transcode multiple streams, you will want to repackage your videos.

Hard drives are inexpensive these days so re-encoding isn't as necessary. You can put 24 terabytes in a machine for less than $1500.00.

However you can use tools like MeGUI or Handbrake to make videos more likely to play on your devices without transcoding. Transcoding is done by the Emmy server to allow video to play on more devices. This could be as simple as changing the container from mkv to mp4 or it could be changing the entire video stream on the fly. If your server can't transcode multiple streams, you will want to repackage your videos.

Thanks for the information!

I agree with you that HD are inexpensive; however, not the ones I buy.  I have 6TB NAS drives that run a minimum of $279.  So, $279 * 24TB = $6,696.  This does not include the NAS server as well.  Right now I have a 4 Bay TS-451 QNAP NAS server (RAID5) that I use for backups, storage of photos/phone videos, and now soon to be streaming movies.

Based on your comment, "However you can use tools like MeGUI or Handbrake to make videos more likely to play on your devices without transcoding." Does this mean that every movie I rip using MakeMKV will need to be transcoded?

Do you suggest using a cheap setup of non NAS HD's to store my movies?

Koleckai Silvestri

If each drive is 6 TB, than 24 TB would cost you $1114 plus sales tax and shipping. You would only be purchasing 4 drives, not 24. Well 5 drives if you're using parity so that is closer to $1500.

I personally use Western Digital Red Drives which are close in price to yours. 6TB at Amazon.com is currently selling for just over $245. I suspect Newegg is similar. I don't use other retailers.

Most 1080p content ripped from MakeMKV will still need to be transcoded on mobile devices. Either they don't support high definition audio or the bitrate is too high or they don't support the MKV container like iOS.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

AdrianW

Some high end TVs may be able to direct play non-re-encoded blu ray rips, but mobile devices almost certainly won't.

I only use PCs for playing back my content - so no transcoding is required, as PCs can playback anything. 

If you're going to rely on transcoding then you'll need a beefy server on which to install Emby - your Qnap will not be up to the task. The Qnap is perfect for storing all your content though. All my content is also on a Qnap - but I use an Intel NUC as my server and also for playback connected to my TV.

Does this mean that every movie I rip using MakeMKV will need to be transcoded?

Do you suggest using a cheap setup of non NAS HD's to store my movies?

Not every movie you rip using MakeMKV will need to be transcoded. Several Emby clients can direct play or direct stream MKV blu ray rips, such as Kodi, FiteTV App, Android TV app, Android phone app.  Due to bit rate of the blu ray rip, most likely on internal network only, and transcoding to these devices over the internet if your uploads speeds cannot handle the bit-rate required.

Other clients like the web client, Roku, IOS devices will need to transcode the rips on the fly.  This would be done by the Emby server automatically, but does require a decent CPU for more than 1 1080P transcode stream concurrently.

Personally, I rip my blu rays using MakeMKV and do not bother to post-treat them.  I like the raw copy and let Emby transcode to other devices as needed.

Deathsquirrel

Thanks for the info.  When you re-encode using handbrake, what settings do you use?  Does it reduce the quality of the video?

The goal is to reencode to a format that is more widely compatible without too much work and with no apparent loss of video quality.  I'm generally able to cut a blu-ray rip from 20-30 gb for the main movie to 5-15.  I have a cpu that can do intel qsv encoding ao that reencoded blu-ray takes about 30 minutes to convert.

As for settings:

• MP4 container when possible.  MKV when the disc has PCM audio or the movie is spread over 2 discs.
  • Primary audio track is whatever the best audio in the source happens to be, secondary audio an aac copy of the same.
  • For subtitles I generally do a foreign language search and burn in that track.  That encodes the few lines of non-english dialog in some movies right into the video so when Jabba the Hut speaks in a star wars film you can see the text.  If the movie isn't in english I don't burn in but stick with a mkv container and embed the blu-ray sub tracks.
  • Video is set to constant quality at 20 reference frames for blu and 17 for dvd.  I use the high profile and h264 level 4.1.

A note on item one, get mkvtoolnix in addition to the encoding tools.  mkvmerge lets you combine two mkvs into a single file.  This means taking a 2 disc movie like Ben Hur and making a single mkv file from the result or to take a file that handbrake can't pass the hd audio into your reencoded file and put that audio right back in with your new video stream.

Edited by Deathsquirrel
  • Like 2

If each drive is 6 TB, than 24 TB would cost you $1114 plus sales tax and shipping. You would only be purchasing 4 drives, not 24. Well 5 drives if you're using parity so that is closer to $1500.

I personally use Western Digital Red Drives which are close in price to yours. 6TB at Amazon.com is currently selling for just over $245. I suspect Newegg is similar. I don't use other retailers.

Most 1080p content ripped from MakeMKV will still need to be transcoded on mobile devices. Either they don't support high definition audio or the bitrate is too high or they don't support the MKV container like iOS.

haha, yes!  Don't mind me.  I have no idea why I was multiplying 24TB by $279.  *Palm to forehead*

WD REDs are good, but I use HGST Deskstar NAS which perform better than the regular REDS, plus have more cache.  Now, the RED Pros are really great too.  Cost between the two is about the same.

Interesting...so no matter what I rip with MakeMKV, I will still need to transcode for my mobile device.  All our mobile/tablets are iOS.  I am assuming you use handbrake for you encoding.  Any specific settings you recommend for iOS devices?

Some high end TVs may be able to direct play non-re-encoded blu ray rips, but mobile devices almost certainly won't.

I only use PCs for playing back my content - so no transcoding is required, as PCs can playback anything. 

If you're going to rely on transcoding then you'll need a beefy server on which to install Emby - your Qnap will not be up to the task. The Qnap is perfect for storing all your content though. All my content is also on a Qnap - but I use an Intel NUC as my server and also for playback connected to my TV.

I should have been more descriptive.  I don't have a smart tv.  I planed on streaming via PS4, FireTV, and Apple TV.

Just to make sure I understand.  You store all your movies (rips) on QNAP, then access it via the Intel NUC which does the transcoding and you view via TV?

Not every movie you rip using MakeMKV will need to be transcoded. Several Emby clients can direct play or direct stream MKV blu ray rips, such as Kodi, FiteTV App, Android TV app, Android phone app.  Due to bit rate of the blu ray rip, most likely on internal network only, and transcoding to these devices over the internet if your uploads speeds cannot handle the bit-rate required.

Other clients like the web client, Roku, IOS devices will need to transcode the rips on the fly.  This would be done by the Emby server automatically, but does require a decent CPU for more than 1 1080P transcode stream concurrently.

Personally, I rip my blu rays using MakeMKV and do not bother to post-treat them.  I like the raw copy and let Emby transcode to other devices as needed.

Thanks for the info.  How will I know which movie I rip via MakeMKV will need to be transcoded?  Most of them movies will be watched through internal network at home; however, I would like to have the option to watch a movie while take a road trip/vacation.

You mentioned IOS will need to transcode on the fly - does this mean it transcodes the movie simultaneously as its playing on my iPad or iPhone

The goal is to reencode to a format that is more widely compatible without too much work and with no apparent loss of video quality.  I'm generally able to cut a blu-ray rip from 20-30 gb for the main movie to 5-15.  I have a cpu that can do intel qsv encoding ao that reencoded blu-ray takes about 30 minutes to convert.

As for settings:

• MP4 container when possible.  MKV when the disc has PCM audio or the movie is spread over 2 discs.
  • Primary audio track is whatever the best audio in the source happens to be, secondary audio an aac copy of the same.
  • For subtitles I generally do a foreign language search and burn in that track.  That encodes the few lines of non-english dialog in some movies right into the video so when Jabba the Hut speaks in a star wars film you can see the text.  If the movie isn't in english I don't burn in but stick with a mkv container and embed the blu-ray sub tracks.
  • Video is set to constant quality at 20 reference frames for blu and 17 for dvd.  I use the high profile and h264 level 4.1.

A note on item one, get mkvtoolnix in addition to the encoding tools.  mkvmerge lets you combine two mkvs into a single file.  This means taking a 2 disc movie like Ben Hur and making a single mkv file from the result or to take a file that handbrake can't pass the hd audio into your reencoded file and put that audio right back in with your new video stream.

Very nice.  You can basically get anywhere from 1-3 more movies just by cutting it down.

Thanks for the handbrake settings and mkvtoolnix tip.  As I never used handbrake before, I am sure I will receive and error if handbrake cannot re-encode the HD audio?

Deathsquirrel

Thanks for the handbrake settings and mkvtoolnix tip.  As I never used handbrake before, I am sure I will receive and error if handbrake cannot re-encode the HD audio?

I've never had a problem with reencoding.  It's passthrough that's picky.  Handbrake can passthrough dts-hd into an mp4 and truehd to an mkv, but it cant passthrough pcm as far as I know so for that type of audio I just include an AAC track in my handbrake output and then mux in the PCM track afterward with mkvmerge.

I've never had a problem with reencoding.  It's passthrough that's picky.  Handbrake can passthrough dts-hd into an mp4 and truehd to an mkv, but it cant passthrough pcm as far as I know so for that type of audio I just include an AAC track in my handbrake output and then mux in the PCM track afterward with mkvmerge.

Thank you very much!

I just checked the app center in QNAP and don't see the emby app.  Will I still be able to stream any movies I have on QNAP with emby?  First time using QNAP so I am still getting use to it.

AdrianW

Just to make sure I understand.  You store all your movies (rips) on QNAP, then access it via the Intel NUC which does the transcoding and you view via TV?

Yes, all rips on my Qnap - and the NUC plays them directly to the TV, no transcoding required (I'm using Emby for WMC, although the new Emby Theatre will provide direct playback as well when it's complete).

If I do watch via an iOS device, then the NUC will do the transcoding, although it probably can only cope with a single stream. But, to me watching on a small screen is a novelty - all my regular watching is either on my big TV (via the NUC) or on my large PC monitor. Any PC solution will not require any transcoding assuming the PC is on the same network as the content.

Vidman

Yes, all rips on my Qnap - and the NUC plays them directly to the TV, no transcoding required (I'm using Emby for WMC, although the new Emby Theatre will provide direct playback as well when it's complete).

If I do watch via an iOS device, then the NUC will do the transcoding, although it probably can only cope with a single stream. But, to me watching on a small screen is a novelty - all my regular watching is either on my big TV (via the NUC) or on my large PC monitor. Any PC solution will not require any transcoding assuming the PC is on the same network as the content.

so for clarity you're running emby server on the NUC not the QNAP right?

AdrianW

so for clarity you're running emby server on the NUC not the QNAP right?

Yes - correct. I use my Qnap just for storage.

Vidman

yea I figured as much but just for the OP who indicted they where looking to run emby sever on the QNAP 

I just checked the app center in QNAP and don't see the emby app.  Will I still be able to stream any movies I have on QNAP with emby?  First time using QNAP so I am still getting use to it.

Edited by Vidman

Nologic

@ curlyp

If you are going to spend the time to encode your stuff try and do it right the first time around.

I spend roughly 10hr per 45min TV show...which is a lot of time bar none...need a faster system. :)

However I feel comfortable with my end result, that I'll never need to redo it...well unless better source material gets released blu-ray vs dvd.

I do batch encodes in the background...so largely unnoticeable.

DVD:

5625fffbcd55c_Original.png

Processed:

5626001ea832e_Processed.png

Scene:

5626003846b42_Scene.png

This episode is 1hr 32min long: Loise & Clark 01x01-02 Pilot

The Scene release is 619mb 512x384 8bit @ 23.97fps

Mine is 701mb 640x480 10bit @ 60fps

The Scene release near its base resolution isn't bad...but when it's scaled up to 1080p or higher...well its not so pretty then.

You can use HandBrake and the like and get okay results...and get done fairly fast...but there can be some serious trade offs.

Checkout just the differences in how a video is deinterlaced.

Deinterlacing methods

I use QTGMC...which is slow...but makes a marked difference in the final file.

Nologic

The source is 8bit @ 29 something interlaced...which when deinterlaced turns into 60fps...then when up scaled to 32bit and noise removed and colors dithered/blended, it's then down scaled and encoded at 10bit.

So you are right it sounds funny, but there are reasons. :)

Here are the AVS template files I use:

DGDecode_mpeg2source( "%(tempvideofile)" , info=3 )

ColorMatrix( hints=true , dest=2 , interlaced=true , threads=0 )

AssumeTFF()

QTGMC( Preset="Slower" , SourceMatch=3 , Lossless=2 , TrueMotion=True , SubPel=4 )
AviSource( "%(tempvideofile)" )

Crop( 8 , 2 , -8 , -2 )

Checkmate( 20 )

DFMDeRainbow()
LoadVirtualDubPlugin( "C:\Program Files (x86)\VirtualDub\plugins32\NeatVideo4.vdf" , "NeatVideo4" , 5 )

ConvertToRGB32()

NeatVideo4( "C:\Users\Guy\Documents\Neat Video v4 for VirtualDub\Profiles\Lois & Clark 2.dnp" , "C:\Users\Guy\Documents\Neat Video v4 for VirtualDub\Presets\Lois & Clark 2.nfp" )

ConvertToYV24()

Spline36Resize( 640 , 480 )

GradFun3()

And the x264 command line:

x264-10bit.exe --crf 18 --preset VerySlow --tune Film --output "%(outputname)" "%(tempvideofile)"

So no voodoo magic here. :)

Oh forgot to mention things are encoded with UTVideo between AVS scripts.

ffmpeg.exe -i "%(tempvideofile)" -c:v utvideo "%(outputname)"

As for why...well since I end up with 60fps after deinterlacing...and motion is slightly smoother at that rate than 23-29fps and it hardly adds to my file size...given the nature of newer codec's...so why not.

As for why 10bit...well since I'm sort of ending up with 32bit color once denoise & blending is done...I see no reason to drop all the way down to 8bit...even less so since you can typically get slightly smaller file sizes when encoding in 10bit since you have more colors to play with. Actually with animation/cartoons you can see a very noticeable file size drop using 10bit.

Plus when scaling an image from 480 to 1080...having the extra colors makes for a smoother appearing image. Fewer jaggies, less blocking,....so on and so forth.

Edited by Nologic

yea I figured as much but just for the OP who indicted they where looking to run emby sever on the QNAP 

Thanks for the clarification.  

@ curlyp

If you are going to spend the time to encode your stuff try and do it right the first time around.

I spend roughly 10hr per 45min TV show...which is a lot of time bar none...need a faster system. :)

However I feel comfortable with my end result, that I'll never need to redo it...well unless better source material gets released blu-ray vs dvd.

I do batch encodes in the background...so largely unnoticeable.

DVD:

5625fffbcd55c_Original.png

Processed:

5626001ea832e_Processed.png

Scene:

5626003846b42_Scene.png

This episode is 1hr 32min long: Loise & Clark 01x01-02 Pilot

The Scene release is 619mb 512x384 8bit @ 23.97fps

Mine is 701mb 640x480 10bit @ 60fps

The Scene release near its base resolution isn't bad...but when it's scaled up to 1080p or higher...well its not so pretty then.

You can use HandBrake and the like and get okay results...and get done fairly fast...but there can be some serious trade offs.

Checkout just the differences in how a video is deinterlaced.

Deinterlacing methods

I use QTGMC...which is slow...but makes a marked difference in the final file.

Thanks for examples Nologic.

I'm definitely interested in learning how to do it right the first time around :) As I stated, I have never done this before so it's all new to me.

I'm going to ask some questions and they may seem obvious, but I want to make sure I am understanding correctly.

You are using MakeMKV to rip each Blu-ray or DVD.  Then instead of using Handbrake you are using QTGMC?a

The DVD is obviously the original.

The Processed is after you used MakeMKV, which the resolution seems smaller.

The Scene is after you used QTGMC and changed it to 10bit @ 60fps vs 8bit @23.97fps?

Now, when you play your shows/movies on your main TV, do they take up the full screen or are they enlarged?

Lastly, the picture quality looks good from what you have shown.  Do you happen to have a guide made that depicts your process from start (ripping) to end (finalized product)?  I think it would be very helpful for newbies like me who have no idea what they are doing, but are trying to learn!!!  :)

mediacowboy

@@Nologic, Does all this material play directly on say a roku?

Do not read this as this way is better then this way or I'm trying to say my way is better.

When I first set out I had only a computer connected to my 47" TV. Now I have a server and Roku's, Fire Stick, and iOS devices all needing the same file. When on the PC of course you want the better image and quality. From what I am seeing though is yes disk space is cheap but where the server resides and how many streams affect what you do to. You wouldn't want to put your media on a Raspberry PI that will being needing to transcode 3 streams for a iOS device and 2 Roku's or whatever.

What I use and do is as follow's. Again this isn't my way is better or what not. I really think ripping comes down to what your needs and processing power.

I use AnyDVD HD to rip the movie to a hard drive as a 1:1 to rip. The HD in AnyDVD HD handles blueray's. Reason behind ripping to hard drive is it is faster to process movies. Say you have 10 movies you want to convert to digital. You then have to load it up let AnyDVD decode the movie and then handbrake load it and pull the title. On some things this isn't bad, ex 1 movie, but when doing multiple episodes from a TV Show it is horrible or multiple movies. Doing it this way the ripping to hard drive takes 15 - 30 minutes depending on the disc. Then I can go to hand brake before bed and setup 10 conversion jobs versus however many disc drives you have.

Then I use hand brake to rip just the movie title or titles. If it is a TV Show with mutliple episodes or Extended cut disc that have both Theathrical and the Extended I select the appropriate titles. 

I used the following site which has detailed instruction on setting up different setting's in handbrake for the content type. Because I have gotten lazy I have created just the 1080 setting's and use those for everything. Now the resulting file sizes if you are not worried about disc space range from a couple hundred MB to 15 GB. This all depends on the movie/episode.

Just through my 2 cents in and helping someone out. The only thing I have found to be difficult about the way I do it is subtitles.