Centralized Authentication Functionality (LDAP/SSO/HTML Header/RADIUS) [DEVELOPMENT STARTED]

Untoten

• 3 months later...
Fratopolis

Untoten? Why did you say done? I would love to have AD group integration. I am a Systems Admin at a school district and this product would rock their world. Teachers and students could really utilize this.

I am a Lifetime subscriber for home use but in the district manually creating users would be a full time job.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Untoten

I am working on this currently with hopeful SAML support, please contact me if you have any related experience and a little time.

• 3 weeks later...

didn't i already PM you with some things we need to get done first before this can be looked at? it has some pre-requisites we need to do first.

Untoten

You bet, but the more exposure the more possible people to assist in building and the more people will show their support/make a use case.

Perhaps we can include a list of prereqs too to give users more transparency so they know what is needed/why it's not done yet.

Cerothen

Is it possible currently or is it something that could be made possible to allow people to write plugins for Emby to enable alternate authentication? Then people could write plugins that would authenticate against whatever they wanted, Active Directory, MySQL, FTP, a text file they keep on the computer because they are misguided etc.

• Like 1

Untoten

Sadly, it is not currently possible.  They still need SSL working, if you want to help in that.  Also, if you know programming check out the SAML 2 C# spec, they/I could use help with that as well.

• 3 weeks later...
neo_hijacker

Hi,

Interested too by any external DB authentication mechanism. LDAP and SAML are best choice.

Rgds,

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Untoten

Still waiting for the Emby team to complete SSL support, until they complete this we cannot move forward with any SSO.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Untoten

I actually really like this idea too. AD integration for group permissions via an LDAP lookup would be awesome!

Thanks for the support!  Make sure to like the top post so they see your endorsement!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just implementing Emby for my school (lifetime subscriber at home), it's replacing a Windows Media Services (Windows 2008R2) server which has come to the end of it's useful life. Equivalent media server solutions for education can cost several thousand pounds to buy and implement so Emby is perfect for education, especially as it's web based.

Most schools and universities run Windows Active Directory so AD authentication would be really appreciated, especially if you can assign permissions through groups e.g. teachers would have different permissions to students. For example teachers could record* Freeview (UK) TV programs using the HDHomeRun whilst students could not.

As the Emby server is free and the lifetime subscription so cheap and AD authentication is really for commercial use rather than home I would be happy if this was a paid for commercial add-on with an educational discount :-) .

Out of interest our Emby Server spec: HP Proliant DL380 G6 Storage Server 2x SIX CORE X5660 Xeon CPUs, 12TB SATA RAID 5, 32GB RAM, 4x 1Gb NICs. We think wit would have no problem streaming simultaneously to 70+ PCs.

*I'm assuming this is possible?

Edited by fernsm
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Untoten

@@Luke @@ebr Can we please get the ball rolling on this?  I requested this far over a year ago, it has some very real uses and it is clearly not a rare request. I see much potential for many things with Emby but this is a gigantic hinderance.  I have told Luke before I would donate $500-$1000 just to get this working.