Client App: Email my Users New Media (new edition needs testing)

chef

• 2 weeks later...
b0dyr0ck2006

Are the updated files the ones in the link on the first post? 

EDIT:

Ok, got it running, but using a gmail email account is an issue. Google have locked down the email system and flags up the sign in attempt as suspicious so wont let the program send a test email.

Edited by b0dyr0ck2006

MSattler

Chef,

Is it possible to make the scheduler a bit more advanced?  Like Maybe emails on Mondays and Fridays?

thanks!

Chef,

Is it possible to make the scheduler a bit more advanced? Like Maybe emails on Mondays and Fridays?

thanks!

Yes, that is possible.

• Like 1

It wont send via gmail but I managed to get it to work with icloud email

There is a setting in gmail where you can tell it to allow the app. Only thing is I am at work and can't remember the specifics on where to find the setting.

One of the reasons gmail hates the app is because of all the attachments it sends in the email.

Edited by chef

b0dyr0ck2006

Yes that is correct, you need to lower your security settings to allow unauthorised apps to connect. Not a great workaround really. Even trying with the settings changed it didn't work but I've linked it through my apple email and that is working fine from there

MSattler

Yes, that is possible.

Can I donate somewhere? =)

So the test email works, but my campaign is not sending anything....

So this is weird, when I unzipped I have the EPK folder, and EPK.exe.  Inside the EPK folder was another EPK.exe, and with that campaign would not work.  I copied the .exe from outside the folder in, named it EPK2.exe, ran it and it worked.

Edited by MSattler

Can I donate somewhere? =)

So the test email works, but my campaign is not sending anything....

That is very kind, but this app is hardly worth a donation. ;)

I'll take a look at the campaign code and figure out what's up and tonight I'll get a customized schedule worked out for choosing the days you would like to email.

As far as changing the email security settings from a programable point, there might be some parameters in the SMTP objects which might tell apps like gmail to allow this sort of app to send mail with lots of attachments.

It would probably benifit the app to look into that as well.

Thanks for the interest guys!

MSattler

That is very kind, but this app is hardly worth a donation. ;)

I'll take a look at the campaign code and figure out what's up and tonight I'll get a customized schedule worked out for choosing the days you would like to email.

As far as changing the email security settings from a programable point, there might be some parameters in the SMTP objects which might tell apps like gmail to allow this sort of app to send mail with lots of attachments.

It would probably benifit the app to look into that as well.

Thanks for the interest guys!

Would it make sense to include a server link?

• Like 1

Not sure how I missed this.  this would be great way to let my users know of new movies.   Silly question: how do you install it.  I downloaded the zip, unzipped, and ran the exe as administrator and nothing happened? 

thanks for any direction given

In side the zip is a folder. You'll have to u pack the folder and the entire contents to your desktop (it can be any place on your computer as long as the exe is in the same folder as the dlls)

Then run the exe.

It is portable, so it doesn't root itself on your computer :)

It needs work, I have put some time into it and have something more stabe almost ready :)

Edited by chef

chef, on 06 Feb 2016 - 2:58 PM, said:

In side the zip is a folder. You'll have to u pack the folder and the entire contents to your desktop (it can be any place on your computer as long as the exe is in the same folder as the dlls)

Then run the exe.

It is portable, so it doesn't root itself on your computer :)

It needs work, I have put some time inLooks like to it and have something more stabe almost ready :)

Looks like I was clicking on the wrong exe.  Working awesome.   thanks for the application.

@@MSattler

I have almost finished your request regarding choosing days to send email campaigns.

Should have something shortly, just forming up the crappy UI lol

Sweet! I was able to make the app more stable. You can now choose specific day you wish to send your campaign, and also the Campaign itself is more stable.

I limited the amount of media items to email, this will help certain smtp servers from pegging the app as junk mail. You can now have up to 10 new movies, and 10 new TV Series return only.

Have fun with it!

MSattler

Sweet! I was able to make the app more stable. You can now choose specific day you wish to send your campaign, and also the Campaign itself is more stable.

I limited the amount of media items to email, this will help certain smtp servers from pegging the app as junk mail. You can now have up to 10 new movies, and 10 new TV Series return only.

Have fun with it!

Thanks Chef!

Trying it not but on a test email it appears to be hanging on something, just saying sending.  I compared the settings file between the old and new versions and the password hash seems the same, and the smtp config as well.  Any way to turn on error logging? 

Thanks!

**EDIT**  Figured it out, the save button for some reason is not saving the email server.  I cut the <User Provided Settings from an earlier version, saved the settings.xml file and it work.

Edited by MSattler

@@MSattler just tested with the new changes and email seems to work from my yahoo and Comcast accounts.  no delays,

Is there a way to customize the "from" field in the received email? i'd like to change it from emby epk to something more personalized so my parents will feel comfortable opening it

thanks 

• Like 1

Make sure that the smtp server is chosen in the drop down list.

There seems to be a bug on the email page where it doesn't remember the smtp server properly.

I will fix it, but in the meantime you'll have to choose your smtp server type each time you load the app. :)

And I will make the from lines customizable :)

Edited by chef

MSattler

Make sure that the smtp server is chosen in the drop down list.

There seems to be a bug on the email page where it doesn't remember the smtp server properly.

I will fix it, but in the meantime you'll have to choose your smtp server type each time you load the app. :)

And I will make the from lines customizable :)

No worries, I just copied the entry from the old xml file to the new one and it works splendid.

Thanks again!

And.. You should now be able to choose a custom sender Name instead of "Emby EPK", which will remain as a default. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...