New Emby Theater Question

ThermoDust

ThermoDust

Same Great Video Player, Brand New App

My question is, with the new player, will this be a Windows Universal App so it  will be publish to phone, pc, tablet, and xbox? Or will each platform still have its own player?

As indicated in the text you pasted, the video player isn't new...

We do have solutions in the works for all of those platforms though.  ET is looking out past Windows platforms.

mguebert

Does this mean the MPDN portion of the project was dropped? I would guess if so that has contributed to the long development time period.

And yes, our emby plans do include windows universal.

Thank you thank you thank you!

I'm switching from iOS to Windows phone, and one of the big reasons for the switch is because none of the emby client solutions for iOS seem to work very well for me. I think it has something to do with Apples built in media player, I dunno. Anyway, I tried out a Lumia 950XL at the Microsoft store yesterday and installed the 7illusions app on it and wasn't too happy with the interface, so the news that EmbyTheater will be a UWP app is great to hear!

• Like 1

I'm switching from iOS to Windows phone, and one of the big reasons for the switch is because none of the emby client solutions for iOS seem to work very well for me. I think it has something to do with Apples built in media player, I dunno. Anyway, I tried out a Lumia 950XL at the Microsoft store yesterday and installed the 7illusions app on it and wasn't too happy with the interface, so the news that EmbyTheater will be a UWP app is great to hear!

the windows phone app by @@ScottIsAFool is one of the most accomplished imho. you should try that. in the meantime I think scott and @@7illusions have universal windows app in the pipeline

• Like 1

... so the news that EmbyTheater will be a UWP app is great to hear!

That's not exactly what we said...  We said Emby Theater was looking beyond Windows and that there will be Universal app solutions for the Win 10 platform.

That's not exactly what we said...  We said Emby Theater was looking beyond Windows and that there will be Universal app solutions for the Win 10 platform.

Ahhh, I see. I misunderstood. Well, so long as there is some kind of solution. It appears there will be/already are a few solutions.

the windows phone app by @@ScottIsAFool is one of the most accomplished imho. you should try that. in the meantime I think scott and @@7illusions have universal windows app in the pipeline

I only saw the 7illusions app in the store, but it's possible I glossed over it. I might have picked it from the autofill on the search instead of actually looking at the search results page. I also only had literally 45 seconds to fool around with it as I was at a store and it wasn't my phone, so my opinion was based on the bare minimum of surface observation. The thing that turned me off was that it seemed to be optimized for a much smaller screen, so everything was unnecessarily gigantic on the 950XLs screen.

When I get my phone next month, I will undoubtedly be spending a lot of time with every single emby app/client solution I can find, including the web interface.

wiretap

Did they ever get hardware accelerated video drivers working for the Raspberry Pi Windows 10 IoT universal app? Last I checked, people could only get around 2fps.

7illusions

That doesn't sound right, the app I released for Emby shouldn't be available on phone, it's on desktop and tablet only.. Are you sure about this?

That doesn't sound right, the app I released for Emby shouldn't be available on phone, it's on desktop and tablet only.. Are you sure about this?

Honestly? No. I didn't think to look at the developer when I grabbed the app. I searched for 'emby' and the app I grabbed was called 'emby' and had the emby icon. When I made my post above, I wanted to specify which app I actually grabbed, so I went to the windows store on my PC, searched for emby, and noted the dev for the 'emby' app that showed up. I'm sorry if I am generating confusion... as I said, I don't actually own the phone I was at an MS store, so I can't check now, just going by what I remember. I went to the Windows Phone forum hoping to find some screenshots of the interface for that app but there doesn't seem to be any. Looking at the 7illusions app in the Win10 store on my PC, it does not quite look like what I remember seeing on the phone, as the phones layout was vertical. perhaps it was the app by Scott I had downloaded, if that app is simply called 'emby' exactly like the 7illusions app?

ScottIsAFool

Hopefully I will feel the same when I actually get a chance to use it properly.

I hope you do too ;)

• Like 1

Good to see more and more people are waking up from their Apple induced sleep..Snowwhite figured it out a long long time ago; apples are poision..Windows is the Prince!!

Edited by ronvp
  • Like 1