Can I have 2 Emby servers both accessing the same media library?

pclausen

pclausen

I'm currently running Emby server on a Windows 10 box.  All the media content lives on a FreeNAS server and I have about 6 users setup, all working great on the Windows server.

I used to run the FreeNAS Emby plugin, but had some issues and then stood up a separate Windows server that accessed the FreeNAS media content.  Solution works fine, but I'd like to give the FreeNAS another go (I have added more memory to my FreeNAS server and it is now connected to my core switch at 10 Gbps).

So should I expect issues when I point the FreeNAS plugin version to the same media libraries that my Windows version is using?

If/when I decide to make the switch back to the FreeNAS version, can I restore a backup created with the Server Configuration Backup plugin from the Windows version to the FreeBSD version?

My main concern is that all the users won't loose their watched statuses when they swing their clients over to the FreeNAS version.

Thanks

You can do it with a bit of configuration management.  I run a test server and a production server against the same media.

Just be sure that only one of them is saving metadata and images with the media so they don't both keep stepping on each other.

pclausen

Cool, yeah I figured I'd only want one of them saving data out to the shared media.

So is the file generated by the Server Configuration Backup plugin generic enough that I can apply the one from the Windows version of Emby server to the FreeNAS version?

Also, I'm running the dev version on Windows (which has the database changes) and I'm not sure if they have been pushed to Beta or Stable yet.  Perhaps that's a question better raised in the FreeNAS section? 

I'm not sure if everything will transfer to Linux exactly.  There are reports elsewhere that it may not.

The Linux packages are usually only done at the beta or release level so I doubt that will be in sync at this point either.

pclausen

Thanks.  I'll proceed with caution then and see how it goes.  I'm thinking of letting the FreeNAS version scan the media with an empty database and see what the result looks like and then decide if I want to attempt a restore from a windows version backup.  If it all blows up on the FreeNAS side, not big deal as I'll make it it does write out any metadata or images.  As an added precaution, I might snapshot the entire volume before the import so that I can go back if needed.

Good thing I just upgraded my Internet to 100x20 Mbps fiber.  It will take a while to go through 2400 movies and 9000 shows I would think.  :)

• 1 year later...
jnheinz

You can do it with a bit of configuration management.  I run a test server and a production server against the same media.

Just be sure that only one of them is saving metadata and images with the media so they don't both keep stepping on each other.

@@ebr Could you clarify what exactly you would disable to ensure they don't step on each other's toes?  Thanks in advance.  I am considering standing up an instance in Ubuntu 16.04 to replace my Server 2012 R2 instance.

Happy2Play

On one server you need to ensure you disable "Download artwork and metadata from the internet" per library, to ensure only one server is managing metadata and the other will only read.

On one server you need to ensure you disable "Download artwork and metadata from the internet" per library, to ensure only one server is managing metadata and the other will only read.

Actually it is the save metadata in the library folders option that is most important but that one would get it as well.