MB3 on FreeNAS plugin

prashy21

woodsb02

Ok. First question :-)

I am trying to play music via DLNA. Tried my TV and blu-ray player and I don't see an option to list my music sorted "By Folder". That's a bug, misconfiguration or some other error, right? If everything works ok, I will have an option to get my music listed "By Folder" like it is on the storage filesystem?

Did you try installing mediabrowser on FreeNAS with the pbi from josh4trunks or with my port? If using my port, do you have the mono patches applied from the 2 FreeBSD bug reports?

looks good so far.

stupid issue I had to google, to access the server, you need to type the url -

http://<jail ip>:8096/mediabrowser/

Something that may be obvious to most MB3 users, but not obvious to someone using it the first time.  Figured I should mention it in this thread.

I always put a link to it in the edit menu for the plugin.

Yep, I checked and you did indeed include it in the plugin properties.  Ignore my post.  Though it is good for others to know you included the direct link in the plugin properties page!

Edited by Hisma

woodsb02

stupid issue I had to google, to access the server, you need to type the url -

http://:8096/mediabrowser/

Something that may be obvious to most MB3 users, but not obvious to someone using it the first time. Figured I should mention it in this thread.

I have recently updated the FreeBSD port to include this as a message when installing from ports/packages.

library has found my media just fine (i simply mounted storage in the jail that points directly to my media library).  Library synced up just fine. 

I have movies, TV, and music in my library.

Frontend is on an HTPC connected to my TV, and I am able to stream everything well using the windows 8.1 client software.  I did have an issue trying to play a 4K media file (I have a 4K TV), but that may have nothing to do with the back-end.

DLNA also confirmed working.  My TV is a samsung, and mediabrowser pops up on my source list.  Was able to browse my library the same fashion as I can from the front-end app.  Video -> movies -> movies, and all my movies show.

Can't test live TV yet, I can maybe try to run serverwmc from my HTPC, but that sort of defeats the purpose of running mediabrowser on my NAS, doesn't it?

I see having a linux/bsd-based TV backend as the missing piece with MB3 (going on a tangent here, sorry).  I currently use xbmc, and I have mythtv running on my freenas server.   With the mysql library management, I am effectively having my freenas server as my media backend.  

Live TV is a must for me since I pay for cable.  Hopefully some ace TV backend devs jump on board at some point so we can integrate live TV with our MB freenas backend.  Then I can use MB3 exclusively.

Until then, xmbc it is, though I may consider trying xbmb3c in the meantime :).

Good work devs.  Can't find any faults that seem to be related to the backend at this time.

Edited by Hisma
  • Like 2

That's great to hear. You might be in luck because a new developer has joined the community and mentioned interest in implementing MythTv:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/12560-integrating-tv-schedules-and-recorded-tv-playback-functionality/

Now that is exciting news!  I recently looked at some threads on MB TV backend development, and it didn't look too promising for mythtv... it's barely been mentioned from what I saw.  People seem to find it unwieldy/difficult to set up.  While it's not so user-friendly to set up, it's super versatile, considering I got it successfully working on my freenas server (the only tv backend capable of this afaik).  I also know it works for mac as well.  So it'd be great if it got going... could make MB attractive to a much wider audience.  

I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

woodsb02

library has found my media just fine (i simply mounted storage in the jail that points directly to my media library). Library synced up just fine.

I have movies, TV, and music in my library.

Frontend is on an HTPC connected to my TV, and I am able to stream everything well using the windows 8.1 client software. I did have an issue trying to play a 4K media file (I have a 4K TV), but that may have nothing to do with the back-end.

DLNA also confirmed working. My TV is a samsung, and mediabrowser pops up on my source list. Was able to browse my library the same fashion as I can from the front-end app. Video -> movies -> movies, and all my movies show.

Can't test live TV yet, I can maybe try to run serverwmc from my HTPC, but that sort of defeats the purpose of running mediabrowser on my NAS, doesn't it?

I see having a linux/bsd-based TV backend as the missing piece with MB3 (going on a tangent here, sorry). I currently use xbmc, and I have mythtv running on my freenas server. With the mysql library management, I am effectively having my freenas server as my media backend.

Live TV is a must for me since I pay for cable. Hopefully some ace TV backend devs jump on board at some point so we can integrate live TV with our MB freenas backend. Then I can use MB3 exclusively.

Until then, xmbc it is, though I may consider trying xbmb3c in the meantime :).

Good work devs. Can't find any faults that seem to be related to the backend at this time.

Glad it's working! Those damn mono bugs took me ages to find and fix!

josh4trunks

OK, if i don't hear of any show stoppers by tomorrow I'll submit the plugin to the FreeNAS repo and make a pull request to merge the source to FreeNAS' github.

• Like 1

woodsb02

OK, if i don't hear of any show stoppers by tomorrow I'll submit the plugin to the FreeNAS repo and make a pull request to merge the source to FreeNAS' github.

Quick question, does the pbi build from the FreeBSD port, or does it effectively duplicate the port code? E.g. For future updates will it automatically pull in my FreeBSD port updates? If not it seems like a lot of duplicated maintainer effort!

Did you try installing mediabrowser on FreeNAS with the pbi from josh4trunks or with my port? If using my port, do you have the mono patches applied from the 2 FreeBSD bug reports?

I downloaded the link posted in the FreeNAS forums.  Wasn't even aware that there are two versions.

How do I confirm which version I'm actually running?

josh4trunks

@@woodsb02

it builds from your port, essentially all FreeNAS would maintain is the code display the Python api to start/stop the plugin.

@@sauravg

these are two different install methods. you either uploaded a PBI (or in the future clicked install from the repo) for the FreeNAS plugin... or you ran a command to install/compile the package/port version for FreeBSD.

hese are two different install methods. you either uploaded a PBI (or in the future clicked install from the repo) for the FreeNAS plugin... or you ran a command to install/compile the package/port version for FreeBSD.

I uploaded a PBI

scharbag

Awesome job!!!  Just tried it out and the PBI installs without a hitch.

One question: should I continue to use the \\server\share targets for media or should I share the files into the jail and point the server to \mnt\folder?  Or will that just confuse the clients as they will never be able to access the \mnt\folder links.

For testing, I shared the files to /mnt/folder.  On further investigation, the network option does not show any folders and the \\10.A.B.C\share does not work as it says the network path does not exist.  It is probably just me being an idiot.

Again, fantastic job!!

Cheers,

Edited by scharbag
  • Like 1

josh4trunks

One question: should I continue to use the \\server\share targets for media or should I share the files into the jail and point the server to \mnt\folder?  Or will that just confuse the clients as they will never be able to access the \mnt\folder links.

Again, fantastic job!!

Cheers,

I don't know if I fully understand, but for MediaBrowser access to the files (residing on FreeNAS), I'd use a local read-only mount.

I think in my brief time looking there's a way to tell clients an alternate path if they want the files directly.

For testing, I shared the files to /mnt/folder.  On further investigation, the network option does not show any folders and the \\10.A.B.C\share does not work as it says the network path does not exist.  It is probably just me being an idiot.

Again, fantastic job!!

Cheers,

I would mount the storage directly to the jail.  You can mount it as read-only as was mentioned.  I would avoid using an absolute path to the storage. You keep everything contained to the jail this way.

jexec into the jail, and make directories in /usr/local that correspond to the media... like a /tv folder and a /movie folder.  Then mount those directories as storage from the freenas remote GUI.

From what I know, the client will have no problem seeing what the server can see.

Edited by Hisma

So shall I delete my MB installation created by uploading a pbi and install it from the repo (so I can get future updates automatically)?

Are there any updates yet?

josh4trunks

I am unable to access the link to the pbi. Is there another method on how to get MB3 for freenas?

it's been added to the FreeNAS repo. Installing it from the plugins tab is the recommended method.