App on Win-10 wont connect to server

demonseed
Go to solution Solved by Vicpa,

demonseed

Well hello guys! long time no see me.. hehe. I've been away form the community and mb /face palm, correction emby! my god things sure have changed. 

I got a bug yesterday and decided to buy the win 8-10 app and setup emby again. And from that moment forward I've been biting my tongue and fighting this thing to no end. I was basically starting from scratch on my setup so I first installed the server, got it somewhat happy then moved on to the app and 4 1/2 hrs later I still couldn't get it to connect to the server. And had arrived at the deshion that it wasn't meant to be. But then I decided to look into the desktop app, grabbed a copy set it up, fumbled around with it some then accidentally figured out how to correctly type in the ip address and it sprang to life. 

So now I'm thinking it was me the whole time, but that was a bust. no matter what I did it just wont connect to the server, that is running on the same machine as the client.

quick rundown of my current setup:

windows 10 insiders build 10547 <-- incase it's important 

both ports emby uses have been opened in/out on both machines 

router has been port forward  <-- wasn't sure if it was needed, but was running out of ideas.

the emby helper is fully configured. and providing server link in app, just refuses to actually do anything

lots of error logs to reference, here's 2 that stood out.

This fist one ended Fatally (which was actually one of the last ones logged), 

the second one just errored out, which seemed to be the bulk of the logs collected.

Sequence: 425
Date/time: 2015-10-11T06:40:43.7938988+00:00
Level: FATAL
Thread: 3
Logger: Application
------------------------
The application crashed: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
------------------------
Session: {"PackageArchitecture":"Neutral","PackageFullName":"436337Illusions.com.MediaBrowser_3.4.5.355_neutral__77hd5e1v1hqs4","PackagePublisher":"CN=CA9FBA89-9B8C-4501-9177-37B89E41D3FF","PackagePublisherId":"77hd5e1v1hqs4","PackageResourceId":"","PackageVersion":"3.4.5.355","InstallationId":"b6eeb82b-230f-42d9-9ee1-d195c21e607e"}
Sequence: 20
Date/time: 2015-10-11T13:27:46.5879005+00:00
Level: ERROR
Thread: 5
Logger: RtLogger
------------------------
Request timeout to http://192.168.1.129:8096/mediabrowser/system/info/public?format=json
------------------------
System.TimeoutException: The operation has timed out.
   at MediaBrowser.ApiInteraction.PortableHttpWebRequestFactory.<>c__DisplayClass5.<GetResponseAsync>b__4()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
   at MediaBrowser.ApiInteraction.Net.HttpWebRequestClient.<GetResponse>d__1.MoveNext()
------------------------
Session: {"PackageArchitecture":"Neutral","PackageFullName":"436337Illusions.com.MediaBrowser_3.4.5.355_neutral__77hd5e1v1hqs4","PackagePublisher":"CN=CA9FBA89-9B8C-4501-9177-37B89E41D3FF","PackagePublisherId":"77hd5e1v1hqs4","PackageResourceId":"","PackageVersion":"3.4.5.355","InstallationId":"b6eeb82b-230f-42d9-9ee1-d195c21e607e"}

So at this point I feel like a noob but I'm stuck, and have no clue what to do from here. 

So to the awesome emby community I went, hope it pans out :)

oh yeah! almost forgot, a large chunk of my battle last night was connecting network drives to he server. Needless to say I still don't have my network drives connected, got frustrated and moved on the next impossible hurdle. short of it, I need help with that part too!

I thought I could handle anything this program could dish out, turns out I don't know one single thing about this program anymore, this is a whole new beast and I came unprepared to fight it.

Edited by demonseed
  • Like 2

• Solution

Hi,

Did you enable loopback it is needed for the app to connect if the server is on the same machine.  See http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/4360-howto-runnning-server-and-app-on-the-same-machine/

There has been a request like forever to the server team to add it as a setup option on the server guess it still hasn't made it.

-vicpa

• Like 2

demonseed

lol oh wow, now I really feel like a NOOB, oh man. That was too easy. I knew this was the right place to go.

Now if I could just get those darn network drives to show up I'd be set! Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

Seems like a bit of an oversight that the app installer doesn't pause to ask the user if the client and server reside on the same machine and if the answer is yes, install the workaround, or at least link us to it!

Xzener

Hey old friend... Good to see your still alive. :) I think I might have @demonseeded you a while back. Not sure what it was for though.

Edited by Xzener
  • Like 1

demonseed

ello! Yeah It's been a while hasn't it! somany of the guys here that I know are still here! That's amazing. my a.d.d kicks in after a while, see something shiny and off I go. (discovered Minecraft and that's all she wrote) lost for years... lol

I feel so left behind tho. man oh man. Luke, ebr and the rest of the devs have been busy! :o I struggled a bit getting things back online. and it looks like it's not over yet.

Now that I've run the workaround tool to get the win-10 app functional, windows is peeved off about it. 

The start menu stopped working right after I ran the tool, and at the time I had both the theater and 10 app open. But then after I got the app logged in I noticed it wasn't displaying any of my collection. Only plugins where showing on the home screen. So I went to the theater app and same thing, content was MIA. So I started fiddling with buttons and mistakenly pressed the what is apparently a windows restart button. lol didn't see that coming, but then on reboot I immediately noticed there's no emby shortcuts on my desktop, and start is broke. icing on the cake, I cant even find where the theater installed it's exe (if it even has one) looked in program files 64 + 32 programdata, appdata, then found some emby stuff in roaming but no exe, so I don't even know how to kick start it atm. 

lol, this is not going to plain. save me guys, emby is beating me down for running off for sooo long...

demonseed

okay, I  think the crisis is overted.  Ran the sfc /scannow  and let it patch up the OS, after it was done I can open my start menu again, so that's a relief.

​My start is very fragile, and often crashes and spazzes out  for no good reason. So thinking ahead I made backups of all my programs launcher shortcuts, not realising that any store app installed after the start goes DOA, becomes trapped with no way to launch them because the universal apps dont have exe executables to use. (Or so I thought)

After I poked around windows a bit, I found a way to launch apps via the .app-history tab of Task Manager. <-- very useful info  

So I think I have it all back together now. At least up to the darn network drives.

Still cant work out how the address and file path string is properly formatted. Any help on that would be very much appreciated. 

It's not the fist issue I've had from the network. I have 7&10 dual booting on my desktop and both installations  are supposed to be configured to share the same stuff, same homegroup ect.

but something is screwy when my desktop is booted into 7 and the HTPC running 10 are on the network together. I can access the 10 shared folders from 7, but not the other way around.

​Windows homegroup diagnostics  says it's in the network configurations but can't fix it.  

So IDK if that's contributing my problems, but I'm guessing it is. The two 10 OS's online together do work fine so kinda points to 7, but I've gone through it several times and I cant see anything configured incorrectly. But I'm kinda hoping one of the IT gurus around here may have some sort of idea.which rock to turn over next. hopefully anyway. 

• 3 months later...
Elksfeather

At this time I do not see emby server in the loopback utility (running utility as administrator) nor do I see a way to add emby server.

At this time I do not see emby server in the loopback utility (running utility as administrator) nor do I see a way to add emby server.

This is normal, it's the Emby Windows Store App you want to enable:, not Emby Server.