PLAYz emby for LG Smart TVs

simonjhogan
Go to solution Solved by ellnic,

kwilcox

so this mean that the bitrate settings just lower the  video/audio quality to boost the performance, right?!
at least it is working fine  B)

Correct afik.  Lowering bitrate lowers quality and sends less data.  So a lower bitrate can be used to get non-buffered playback over a slower connection.  I'd still like to find a way to turn transcoding completely off.  I'm not sure if that's possible using HLS streams however. 

Edited by kwilcox

You would just stream the file directly without hls. You only get to the point of using hls when you know that some kind of conversion is needed.

kwilcox

I thought that was probably it.  Thx Luke.  The swagger UI doc sucked me in b/c it listed the static parameter in GET /Videos/{Id}/master.m3u8.

kwilcox

not yet.  Working on navigation still.  I also haven't implemented the subtitle feature yet.  However, l will push a version w/o subtitle support when I get navigation sorted so you can play with it.  List box control with a standard remote is a bit of a UI challenge but I think you folks will like the solution.  I just have some styling work to do on it tomorrow.

cmarques

Really nice your progress! do not forget the dual audio toggle  :rolleyes:

and what about the LG's QA process? any news?

kwilcox

Well Damnit!  My listbox code works great on the WebOS2 emulator (and my TV) but fails dismally on WebOS3.  Back to the drawing board on listbox navigation without a magic remote...

Dual audio is on the list under (needs more understanding).  Subtitles is on the list under (understand how, need to code).

v1.0.3 (the version you can get from github) is in process for QA testing currently.  LG hasn't looked at it yet.

kwilcox

Guys, I just pushed a new version with prefs settings additions.  I really need somebody with a WebOS3 TV to test the behavior of the color key list boxes in remote control settings.  I'm guessing (hoping) that the behavior on an actual TV is different from the emulator.  Bottom line: do the up/down buttons on your remote allow you to cycle through options or is the behavior identical to the WebOS3.0 emulator?

As with other prefs, you need to press <enter> to edit a highlighted list box item, then <enter> again to exit edit mode.

Edited by kwilcox

God I hate the WebOS IDE! I can never remember where the option is to pull from Github... and then I can never get it to connect to the telly (apparently it's an issue lots of people have...)

Anyway, got there in the end. I assume you haven't touched any of the HLS/transcoding stuff, so I'm still in the same boat in that respect?

Toggling subtitles isn't doing anything for me - should you see anything happen when you do toggle them? Or have you only changed the settings interface so far?

On my TV, which is this funny 1+->2 version of WebOS, I'm having some issues with that navigation of the settings. When I click on say the "Red button" option, it goes blue, then if I use down to select the next item in that list, it does that but also moves the cursor down to the next field (green button). It leaves it highlighted blue, but I have to then go back up to the top field if I want to pick the next option in the list!

Also, I found similar issues with the video and audio bitrate - somehow I managed to get both boxes highlighted in blue at one point.

kwilcox

Thanks... I haven't tried it on WebOS1+ at all so your results may vary.  On WebOS2, hitting <enter> when an option is highlighted will turn it blue (edit mode), then up/down arrows will cycle through the options.  Hitting enter again will exit edit mode (remove blue), then up/down/left/right will navigate between items on the settings screen again.

Right now, the only options that are programmed are reset screenplay and toggle controls.

Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

When I can't connect to my TV from the IDE, I first go into the developer mode app on my TV to see if the Key Server is disabled.  On my TV, this is always the case when I first turn it on.  If re-enabling the key server doesn't fix the problem, I turn developer mode off which resets the TV.  Then I turn it back on (resets the TV again), then I enable the key server.  This always fixes the connection problem for me.

Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

as expected, LG rejected the app because the UI doc wasn't the current version.  No quarter given to the fact that it was current when I submitted it; in fact they also stated that they couldn't contact my server to test the app.  This was because the credentials were in the UI doc that they rejected for not being current  :rolleyes: lol...

Time for some quality time with powerpoint on the new UI format then re-submit this weekend hopefully...

as expected, LG rejected the app because the UI doc wasn't the current version.  No quarter given to the fact that it was current when I submitted it; in fact they also stated that they couldn't contact my server to test the app.  This was because the credentials were in the UI doc that they rejected for not being current  :rolleyes: lol...

Time for some quality time with powerpoint on the new UI format then re-submit this weekend hopefully...

;) you're doin good mate. Thumbs up

kwilcox

ok.... docs updated, version 1.0.4 sent back to LG for testing.  Their new UX doc has tester login data as the first thing.  Go figure...  I've also pushed v1.0.4 to the repo.  I believe it will fix the settings issue that @woozle identified.

kwilcox

ok thx.  I just pushed v1.0.5 which finishes up the settings fix.  I'd still like to know if there's anybody out there running a WebOS3.0 TV that can test this...

Edited by kwilcox

pellepirat77

Hi!

I-ve been using Emby for a while and just bought an LG tv with WebOS 3.0

I would really like to try the Playz-emby app. Can anyone point me to an "how-to" guide for installing it on my TV?

kwilcox

Thanks for offering to test!  After you are set up with developer tools, you might want to install some GIT tools.  I use git-gui for windows:

https://git-scm.com/download/win

That will make it easier to clone the screenplay app from here:

https://github.com/sleuth255/playz-emby

Next, in the WebOSTV IDE, choose Import WebOS project from the webOS Menu.  Point it to the directory that your local clone is in and it should create the project with GIT linkage to the repository.

Let us know if you need help with developer mode on your TV.  Since I'm at a pause point on the code, I can help ppl who want to install/test screenplay.

Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

Everybody, in anticipation of acceptance of the app by LG ITNF, I've started an official thead for screenplay and have changed the base repositiory as well.  That thread is here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/40456-screenplay-for-webos-20-and-higher-tvs/

I've asked @Luke to close this thread and it is up to him, but I will begin posting to the new topic immediately.