New User Needs Help

hitthespot

hitthespot

I am new to emby and Kodi. Just installed both and am having trouble, I have a roku 3 and have windows 10 that was upgraded from windows 8.1. 

My problem is when viewing content on Kodi I can't get it to show on the TV. emby shows my Roku as an active device and in the recent activity log it shows my media viewing activity from Kodi so it seems that the Roku, emby and Kodi  are all connected. How do I get my movie to show up onto the TV?

I'm probably overlooking something simple but Iv'e spent hours trying to figure this out. I'd sure appreciate some help.

Thanks, Rich

farside847

If your goal is to watch content on your Roku, then you do not need Kodi. You need:

- a server (probably your windows machine) running the Emby Server program

- a roku with the emby app installed

Set up your emby server to scan your content on your windows machine, set your roku app to find your server and you should be able to play your content. No Kodi.

hitthespot

If your goal is to watch content on your Roku, then you do not need Kodi. You need:

- a server (probably your windows machine) running the Emby Server program

- a roku with the emby app installed

Set up your emby server to scan your content on your windows machine, set your roku app to find your server and you should be able to play your content. No Kodi.

Thanks for your reply. My goal is to stream movies/ sporting events through Kodi that I can't get through a Roku channel. I am able to watch the desired programming on my desktop through Kodi but would like to "send" it to my TV. 

Happy2Play

I don't know if Kodi can cast to the Roku.  But from the web client you can.

Select the device icon top right

56185bae6ebd6_remotedevice.jpg

Device list select Roku

56185b7d5d935_devicelist.jpg

Once selected anything you play in web client will be sent to the Roku.

hitthespot

I don't know if Kodi can cast to the Roku.  But from the web client you can.

Select the device icon top right

56185bae6ebd6_remotedevice.jpg

Device list select Roku

56185b7d5d935_devicelist.jpg

Once selected anything you play in web client will be sent to the Roku.

Thanks, I'll have to research how to do that from my desktop. I know how on my android cell phone but actually that's what I'm trying to use emby for. Both Kodi and Roku have emby support.

Vidman

Sounds like you either don't need emby.. Or don't need kodi to accomplish what you are trying to do

And If it's something there's no roku channel for it probably something of questionable legality.

You would need to import strm files into emby servers library if you decide to persist with this using emby

Edited by Vidman

hitthespot

Sounds like you either don't need emby.. Or don't need kodi to accomplish what you are trying to do

And If it's something there's no roku channel for it probably something of questionable legality.

You would need to import strm files into emby servers library if you decide to persist with this using emby

Thanks, ya, I think I'll just break down and get an Element Ti4 Quad Core Android TV Box. I was just trying to utilize My Roku but I guess it's above my head. YouTube videos say it can be done but I sure haven't been able to make it work LOL. Thanks for the help though.

I was just trying to utilize My Roku but I guess it's above my head.

The roku is the simplest to use device of them all. What part is confusing you? You set up an emby server. You run the emby roku app. It is that simple. There are no special tricks. Look at the post by @farside847 again.

To use kodi with the roku would reduce the roku to a upnp/dlna renderer. You would have to cast/secondscreen to it. There would be no gui on the roku. It would work like a chromecast does, for the most part.

The android option works, if the box is using latest enough android os. Hopefully kit kat or later. Android boxes are up to the whim of who developed them on if and when you ever get updates. So makes sure you have a good return policy when ordering and test out everything completely. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

hitthespot

The roku is the simplest to use device of them all. What part is confusing you? You set up an emby server. You run the emby roku app. It is that simple. There are no special tricks. Look at the post by @farside847 again.

To use kodi with the roku would reduce the roku to a upnp/dlna renderer. You would have to cast/secondscreen to it. There would be no gui on the roku. It would work like a chromecast does, for the most part.

The android option works, if the box is using latest enough android os. Hopefully kit kat or later. Android boxes are up to the whim of who developed them on if and when you ever get updates. So makes sure you have a good return policy when ordering and test out everything completely. :)

Well, I really don't know what is going on.

As I originally posted "My problem is when viewing content on Kodi I can't get it to show on the TV. emby shows my Roku as an active device and in the recent activity log it shows my media viewing activity from Kodi so it seems that the Roku, emby and Kodi  are all connected. How do I get my movie to show up onto the TV?"

It appears that everything is connected but I just can't figure out why I can't see content on the TV. In desktop emby I can go to the remote control and navigate the  Roku emby screen so I don't know, I'm so close but so far.

CBers

I think I'll just break down and get an Element Ti4 Quad Core Android TV Box.

Are they better than the Google Nexus Player or Amazon Fire TV?

Are they better than the Google Nexus Player or Amazon Fire TV?

AmLogic S812 Quad Core CPU

Mail-450 Octa-Core GPU

2GB Ram

16GB Memory

Android 4.4 KitKat

Bluetooth 4.0

2.4/5.0 Dual Band WiFi

Up to 4k resolutions

LAN 10/100/1000M RJ-45

USB x 2 / SD Card x 1

HDMI 1.4 with HDCP Support

Audio Output: SPDIF & DOLBY TrueHD and DTS HD Bypass through HDMI

http://www.amazon.com/Element-Android-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B00TEEXJQA

Edited by speechles

Vidman

Well that seems to confirm my questionable content theory...it seems pretty hypocritical of amazon to be selling these devices preinstalled with kodi + banned/illegal addons

Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

CBers

@@speechles - I just looked at that link myself :)

Some Android boxes that say they run Android TV, don't always display correctly, as they use a version of the OS that isn't fully ATV compatible, but more like a tablet interface.

Just as a performance point of reference the new 2nd gen Fire TV is fast.  The live tv guide screen is produced in about a second on my setup.

• 4 weeks later...
mosher82

How do you set the Emby server?

How do you set the Emby server?

Que? Por que? Huh?

Set it... Up?

https://emby.media/download/

Depends on the flavor. There are forum sections here with threads for each type. It is usually a sticky at the top of each thread how to set up.

Edited by speechles