Fix ideas for slow metadata issues when Refreshing Data

dethknite

dethknite

Background:

I have my collection on a NAS, gigabit network, 15,000ish+ videos/movies.  Server is Intel Quad core/SSD main drive, 6GB RAM. (I have seen others with similar specs claiming everything is great for them, so I set out trying to figure out what is going on.)  I also use Rating for users and have a custom filtered Tag for granular ages for Kids profiles.

Issue:

I have been experiencing issues with slowness for sometime in Refreshing Data (1hr - 2hr after adding a movie).  I run my media through MCM prior to adding to media library folders.  Another bad issue is when the Refresh is going on, and sometimes even for a few hours afterwards, navigating to a movie in the UI takes 20-60 seconds.  The Roku will often timeout during this and exit back to the home screen.  On the web, if I wait until it does eventually open, when clicking edit, it sits indefinitely (I have waited a half hour before).

Solution:

In trying to alleviate the pain of Refreshes over the last few months, I finally tracked down one of the main causes of my slowness/unresponsiveness/lag issues: MBPlus background scanning/categorizing.  It turns out that while MBPlus is building suggestions/next ups/etc... it is affecting accessing metadata.  Not sure if it is the sqlite.db that is too busy, or if the network chatter to the NAS is too much, but it appears to me that it is the local database.  I temporarily set all users to a none profile that does nothing and Refresh Data takes 5-6 minutes of course.  Also metadata editing remains responsive during this time.

Suggestions:

First, I would like to suggest putting the MBPlus scheduled task into its own task so that it can be scheduled nightly when no one is on the server instead of it occurring during refreshes.  I would also like to suggest some sort of throttling of MBPlus activity/processing so that it doesn't starve resources for the rest of Emby processing.

Edited by dethknite

MBPlus has basically been discontinued for now but it was designed to deliver real-time suggestions to all users so it reacts to changes in your system in real time.  If it were to schedule them then none of the information would be that useful because it would all be rather stale.

If you have a really large library and a lot of users, then this may cause an issue in performance.