Any members of androidforums.com?

Luke

• 2 weeks later...
trusselo

not androidforums, but i am a retired -good standing- moderator and recognized developer at xda-developers.com

not androidforums, but i am a retired -good standing- moderator and recognized developer at xda-developers.com

I would love to post there but I can only assume we would not be welcome since the android app isn't open source, correct?

trusselo

No only kernels and other software built upon GPL licences must provide source code, and obviously (as per GPL) not be asking for money for GPL components.

For app developers, they are allowed to post about their app and ask for feedback, suggestions, bug reports ect for any app. There is even a specific forum for "paid applications".
http://forum.xda-developers.com/general/paid-software
As always, read the stickies.

Outside of the Paid Applications forum section, app developers are not allowed to post market links to their app, or any other type of link that asks for money, UNLESS you also provide a direct download-or market link to a free version of your app with it. **This applies to your signature as well**

The free version must be 90% same functionality, cant be SEVERELY hindered compared to the paid version, it can be a few versions behind.

XDA is such a large but close knit community, most developers that are there, started there, or have learned so much from there, they just feel the need to share their work for free with other members of the forum, and the other members feel the need to buy they app or donate money thru xda/paypal to the dev for their hard work.

XDA tends to be full of power users and noobs that will be tomorrows power users, right now 5.2 million members, it is in many ways a forum like no other, each device has its own forum, and each is like its own town, some people never leave their device area until they buy another device, other developers for roms and such, bounce around between similar forums that meet their needs. 

If you want to reach a large, wide ranged demographic, xda is the place. If you want to get alot of new users, you need to get a free version, to get them in the door. Possibly limit some backdrop/audio theme options (some eye candy).  Having a free version will  make it a cake-walk to getting on the XDA news page.  Next add chrome cast support. and you will get on the news page 20 minutes later again. Anything, anything, ANYTHING chromecast related makes it to the news page, as soon as it is reported as news.

The news page is not advertising, it is about cool news, apps and members.  I have been mentioned on the news page at least 4 times. It makes me feel pretty damn special.

http://www.xda-developers.com/ - news

http://forum.xda-developers.com/ - forums

Edited by trusselo

No only kernels and other software built upon GPL licences must provide source code, and obviously (as per GPL) not be asking for money for GPL components.

For app developers, they are allowed to post about their app and ask for feedback, suggestions, bug reports ect for any app. There is even a specific forum for "paid applications".

http://forum.xda-developers.com/general/paid-software

As always, read the stickies.

Outside of the Paid Applications forum section, app developers are not allowed to post market links to their app, or any other type of link that asks for money, UNLESS you also provide a direct download-or market link to a free version of your app with it. **This applies to your signature as well**

The free version must be 90% same functionality, cant be SEVERELY hindered compared to the paid version, it can be a few versions behind.

XDA is such a large but close knit community, most developers that are there, started there, or have learned so much from there, they just feel the need to share their work for free with other members of the forum, and the other members feel the need to buy they app or donate money thru xda/paypal to the dev for their hard work.

XDA tends to be full of power users and noobs that will be tomorrows power users, right now 5.2 million members, it is in many ways a forum like no other, each device has its own forum, and each is like its own town, some people never leave their device area until they buy another device, other developers for roms and such, bounce around between similar forums that meet their needs. 

If you want to reach a large, wide ranged demographic, xda is the place. If you want to get alot of new users, you need to get a free version, to get them in the door. Possibly limit some backdrop/audio theme options (some eye candy).  Having a free version will  make it a cake-walk to getting on the XDA news page.  Next add chrome cast support. and you will get on the news page 20 minutes later again. Anything, anything, ANYTHING chromecast related makes it to the news page, as soon as it is reported as news.

The news page is not advertising, it is about cool news, apps and members.  I have been mentioned on the news page at least 4 times. It makes me feel pretty damn special.

http://www.xda-developers.com/ - news

http://forum.xda-developers.com/ - forums

@@Redshirt we should get in there asap

trusselo

exactly.  you dont need a free version to post in the paid section. and keep links to your paid app out of your sig.  link to your thread or here.

a free version, would help pull users in, and would help get a mention on the news portal, it is RARE that they report anything that is paid only, they dont want to be a source of advertizing, a source of cool. 

regardless of free version or not, adding chromecast support would get an instant mention.

a free, non-updating beta versions for testing would suffice.

EDIT: and xda is on tapatalk as well

Edited by trusselo