Composer on music

EduardoSantos

EduardoSantos

Hi,

Is there any chance to have the composer on Emby music catalog? To search for composer, or list by composer?

This may seem a bit uncommon to general music lovers but for classical music it is really very useful.

Thanks

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
wolfgang

It's not only useful but absolutely necessary in classical music to find pieces.

Why can my 2004 iPod do what a sophisticated 2015 streaming solution can't? 

Deathsquirrel

It's not only useful but absolutely necessary in classical music to find pieces.

Why can my 2004 iPod do what a sophisticated 2015 streaming solution can't? 

Probably because music is the least developed function, IMO, and classical music isn't a super popular format.

I'd suggest checking the feature request forum and raising a request there if there isn't one already.

Deathsquirrel

I see. But it's just another tag, shouldn't be that hard to implement, right?

If there is community interest, if the info exists in the source data Emby uses, and if implementing it won't cause issues for the other programs that also process the metadata NFO\XML file Emby creates...nah, probably pretty simple.

This has been requested in the past. I know I read it a couple months ago.

Would be interesting to see who actually wrote the songs, compared to who actually performed them. :)

• 2 weeks later...
wolfgang

Welcome to classical music, chef :)
That's how it works. Especially if you have like three ensembles performing the same piece. Then stuff gets complicated ;)

Deathsquirrel:

Wow, I'm happy it's that simple. Should be implemented soon I guess.
:P

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

Since a search for composer in the feature request forum turns up no relevant hits, I'd be very surprised if it happens at all, let alone soon.

Spaceboy

The real problem is composers are not listed on musicbrainz or theaudiodb, which is where metadata is sourced from for music. How about manually adding them as person and setting role as writer?

Vicpa

Hi,

Musicbrainz nicely tags composers, matter of fact it will tag composer, writer and lyricist. Emby only grabs composer however. really need the other two. Lennon and McCartney are always listed a writers for instance. metadata is grabbed as if they are movie or tv folks so is kinda hit or miss. 

56905d4d670b7_composer.png

-Vicpa

• Like 2

wolfgang

Actually I cannot find a single modern video/music streaming server capable of supporting the composer tag. Also Plex does not support this. I guess since for people interested in classical music and soundtracks this is essential (like me) it would be the definite argument about which software to use. You see, movie streaming works equally well on Plex and Emby for me. But music not.

• 4 years later...