Question(s) before I up upgrade to Media Browser 3

gothamkid

gothamkid

1. I have several films in DVD folders and some Blu-Ray .mkv that I've been converting to MP4 to play on the Apple TV.  If I use the web client or the iOS client, will I still need to convert them to MP4 or can I leave them as they are?

2. I want the ability to turn on/off subtitles that are .srt files when I watch a movie which I cannot do with the current Media Browser 2.6 in Media Center without installing Shark007, making some registry hacks, etc., which have seemed more trouble then they are worth.  Do I still need to install Shark007 to make Media Browser 3 work and support multiple file formats and subtitles with the web client, or is that covered as part of the server installation?  Will I still be limited by Windows Media Center with the Media Browser client until Media Browser Theater is in General Release?

you don't need to covert to mp4. folder rips can be hit or miss, but we can stream just about everything else. you dont' need shark007 or anything else for the server or media browser theater.

candybar213

I have been wondering about the codecs i currently run shark007 and see that you say they are not nessary now and I am wondering are all codecs handled by the server now with nothing else needed?

it depends on the client app you intend to use. media browser classic still requires you to manage codecs exactly like mb2. for all of our other clients, nothing is required out of the box