Emby Sync - forcing Update

MSattler

MSattler

Is there any way for me to force an update/sync from Kodi?

There are some players I leave on all the time, this would keep me from forcing it to reboot in order to sync.

Any way we can have an option on how often to sync/check for changes?

Thanks!

• Like 1

MrWebsmith

yea i wonder that too.. cause i just remoted into my htpc fired up kodi and its showing a "next up" item that i watched last night from the android tv client in emby server shows that ep as watched.. so kodi isnt up to speed.. at least not yet

after a few minutes it did "update".. so i guess after launch its not too long to update.. but a quick option like MSattler suggests would be nice.. maybe something that the skinners could put into a menu option that i can pin to my home screen..like a refresh arrow or something

xnappo

It should always be updating, no just at startup.  If it is not, something has gone wrong.

You can go into the addon and force a manual sync though.  Not in the settings - actually in the addon under Video->Addons->Emby.  Again though - if you have to do this something is wrong.

Edited by xnappo

MSattler

It should always be updating, no just at startup.  If it is not, something has gone wrong.

You can go into the addon and force a manual sync though.  Not in the settings - actually in the addon under Video->Addons->Emby.  Again though - if you have to do this something is wrong.

Well how often should it be syncing?

If I watch something on Kodi, sure it syncs right away.

But what about if I watch a show on another device.  Is the expectation that Kodi is regularly checking in for Server updates?

im85288

A scenario I recently did may help you understand exactly how this should (and does) work.

1. Started watching an episode on my Kodi install in the living room and got say 20% through then stopped.

2. Opened Emby app on iOS and continued from that point to watch another 40%.

3. Went to my Kodi install in my bedroom and carried on watching from the 60% mark. 

Note, I always leave my Kodi installs on and use incremental sync. 

MSattler

A scenario I recently did may help you understand exactly how this should (and does) work.

1. Started watching an episode on my Kodi install in the living room and got say 20% through then stopped.

2. Opened Emby app on iOS and continued from that point to watch another 40%.

3. Went to my Kodi install in my bedroom and carried on watching from the 60% mark. 

Note, I always leave my Kodi installs on and use incremental sync. 

Hmm, are you doing this on the Kodi nightlies?

Is it possibly that I am having issues because I have updated the Emby Sync plugin, but not running the nightly Kodi version?

I'll update to the latest nightly Rpi2 Kodi 16 build tonight, and will reset the library and test.

thanks!

Now for MrW, he is running 15 on the Stable EmbySync version..... Should that work as well?

xnappo

No - running alpha software will not help.

This all works with Helix/Isengard and stable Emby.

It may work with alphas/betas, but that is not what is causing your problem.

Angelblue05

The best way to be certain is when you see it happen, post your log with the title of what didn't update and post it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSattler

Ending up going to nightly jarvis build and the latest emby plugin and sync is working again. For those having sync issues check your kodi.log. If it is db related it will complain about not finding a table.

It really is a PITA that the kodi folks keep changing the db version. I had always figured that the plugin would say check for the Kodi version and say for 15 these db versions are ok, for 16 these bersions are ok. But it looks like only kne db version is supported per version. So this means if you are running the latest version of a plugin, and the kodi nightlies update the db version, if the plugin accounts for it you must upgrade.

Angelblue05

And that's why we don't actually support Jarvis until RC release. It has been mentioned many times.

Edited by Angelblue05

MSattler

And that's why we don't actually support Jarvis until RC release. It has been mentioned many times.

The problem is the same one I have mentioned since day one when we started testing this. There is nowhere that it is clearly layed out on what version supports what.

i think somewhere we should plainly document that Isengard is supported with the Stable EmbySync release, and that the beta EmbySync only works with Kodi 16 Alpha 4.

Since the release notes never specifically state which Kodi Version it works with you end up sometimes having to apply multiple dailies until you figure out which kne it works.

From a daily support standpoint we get questions daily on specific versions and what works with what. It would be easier for me to say ok you are on version 1.44, that requires Alpha 4 or newer. Right now I don't believe we have that unless people read through the main thread. Which is quite long.

Just my 2 cents.

MSattler

Btw by daily support I mean bia the chatroom where people come in asking for help. On the upside its not as hard as supporting the newbs who want to install emby on linux not having ever touched linux before ;)

Angelblue05

The problem is the same one I have mentioned since day one when we started testing this. There is nowhere that it is clearly layed out on what version supports what.

i think somewhere we should plainly document that Isengard is supported with the Stable EmbySync release, and that the beta EmbySync only works with Kodi 16 Alpha 4.

Since the release notes never specifically state which Kodi Version it works with you end up sometimes having to apply multiple dailies until you figure out which kne it works.

From a daily support standpoint we get questions daily on specific versions and what works with what. It would be easier for me to say ok you are on version 1.44, that requires Alpha 4 or newer. Right now I don't believe we have that unless people read through the main thread. Which is quite long.

Just my 2 cents.

No this is wrong. We only support Helix and Isengard for both stable and beta version of Emby for Kodi add-on (Emby sync server plugin has nothing to do with this). Plain and simple. It's mentioned here in this forum(pinned threads) and in our wiki. No where does it mention that we officially support Jarvis. If you are using Jarvis, only im85288 is updating it for the nightly build, for himself. But again, it is not suggested to use Jarvis because things will break, since Kodi modify their database schema often until RC release. So basically, don't use Jarvis until we officially announce that we support it, you will never have a problem.

Edited by Angelblue05

MSattler

No this is wrong. We only support Helix and Isengard for both stable and beta version of our add-on. Plain and simple. It's mentioned here in this forum(pinned threads) and in our wiki. No where does it mention that we officially support Jarvis. If you are using Jarvis, only im85288 is updating it for the nightly build, for himself. But again, it is not suggested to use Jarvis because things will break, since they modify their database schema often until RC release.

Just because we are saying its not supported doesn't mean people are not using it, and it means we have to continue to help people that have issues with it. Especially when the plugin itself works with Jarvis and is being updated to work with Jarvis. It would be much simpler if it said "Sorry, this plugin is not compatible with jarvis" and force the Jarvis to use an Alpha repo.

I get that it is an alpha product, so let's have an aloha repo. Right now your beta users for Isengard are getting plugin updates they are applying where the only change to the plugin is for Jarvis users.

One of the reasons so many emby users are using Jarvis is because the Arctic Zephyr skin is only being updated for Jarvis. So the situation for quite a few of us is we have to run on Jarvis if we want the latest and greatest from the most popular skin.

Diedrich

You can turn off add-on updates in Kodi. You would then "freeze" yourself in a configuration that works for you. (Kodi, Emby, Emby for Kodi plugin)

MSattler

You can turn off add-on updates in Kodi. You would then "freeze" yourself in a configuration that works for you. (Kodi, Emby, Emby for Kodi plugin)

I know, and in many cases that does work.  However, for instance, my Intel J1900 box was running plugin version 1.1.39, and then there was an Open Elec updateto take it up to the latest supported version by OpenElec.   It broke sync for me.  

Now.....I have to figure out if I should stay at 1.1.39, and just try recreating my DB, or if perhaps the version update now requires me to go to beta.

Since we never track which Kodi version, is supported by which emby sync version, it's a guessing game.  Or, you end up just doing a fresh install and hoping it works.

Figuring this out myself, why not fun, is doable.  Trying to help less knowledge folks trying to fix this over chat support is a PITA.

Angelblue05

I understand what you are saying, we could add a warning message that says "unsupported Kodi build".

Jarvis is bleeding edge, constantly changing at the moment. If you use Jarvis, you are pretty much on your own to troubleshoot issues, since you are using an unsupported build. Until Jarvis is officially supported by us, if you decide to use it, I believe im85288 follows nightly build so just make sure you are always using the latest beta version of the add-on and latest Jarvis nightly. I'll still look into adding a warning message, because it would be more user friendly that way.

• Like 1

MSattler

Nope, its not supported until it hits RC and then only in our Beta version of the addon. People can use whatever version they want, but they will get mixed results with Kodi 16.

Yes the addon is being updated but it is not being fully tested, that is why it is not supported. Just adding support for the DB file version is not the same thign as testing all regressions and supporting all features.

Interesting idea, unfortunately I don't think anyone on the team wants to have to manage yet another repo, are you volunteering to build, release and support an Alpha repo? That might be doable if you want to take that on.

Sounds like a skin project issue. Will sort itself out in time when Jarvis hits RC I guess.

I don't mind supporting the repo if someone is willing to tell me how to.   My stance is I would rather not have the beta version support an alpha version of Kodi at all.  Put it into an alpha repo IMHO.

It still does not solve the issue of me saying "I am on 15.1, which version of EmbySync should work for me?"  Is the answer that the current stable build 1.1.39 should work with ANY Kodi 14/15 build?  If so, that is fine, but I am guessing the answer is going to be no, since some builds may have had different DB versions.  Perhaps the answer should be "Emby Sync Stable works with any final release version of Kodi 14/15", and then we direct users to update to the latest Kodi 14/15 builds.  

Does that make sense?  Right now the best we can do is say "Try this version of Kodi, and this repo for Emby Sync and see if it works".

It would be much easier if we start keeping track of what a specific release works with, and which version of the plugin we expect users to be at with specific versions of Kodi.

MSattler

I understand what you are saying, we could add a warning message that says "unsupported Kodi build".

Jarvis is bleeding edge, constantly changing at the moment. If you use Jarvis, you are pretty much on your own to troubleshoot issues, since you are using an unsupported build. Until Jarvis is officially supported by us, if you decide to use it, I believe im85288 follows nightly build so just make sure you are always using the latest beta version of the add-on and latest Jarvis nightly. I'll still look into adding a warning message, because it would be more user friendly that way.

I think it would help, I'm almost thinking to sticky a thread that is very specific about the expected plugin to be used with versions, what should work, etc.

Helix Final Release - Stable 1.1.39 / Beta 1.1.44

Isengard 15.1- Stable 1.1.39 / Beta 1.1.44

Jarvis (Unsupported)  Below Alpha 4 (Beta 1.1.39), Alpha 4 4+ (Beta 1.1.44 due to DB Change)

Something like that, and if someone knows what Isengard 15.2 requires, then we put that in there as well.....

I LOVE this plugin, and it's I spread the gospel for this plugin daily.  We just need to find an easier way to help support people with it.

Edited by MSattler

Angelblue05

Plain and simple: Emby for Kodi add-on, stable and beta, officially support Helix and Isengard. Jarvis is unofficially supported in the beta version and only for the latest nightly Kodi Jarvis build.

There is really nothing more to add to this.

Edited by Angelblue05

MSattler

Plain and simple: Emby for Kodi add-on, stable and beta, officially support Helix and Isengard. Jarvis is unofficially supported in the beta version and only for the latest nightly Kodi Jarvis build.

There is really nothing more to add to this.

So Emby for Kodi stable or beta supports any Helix and Isengard version?  Any version?  Even if someone comes in with an RC version?  I think that's where we need to be more specific.   I wasn't part of Helix before the final release but I know both Isengard and Jarvis both changed DB versions through their Alpha's and Beta's.  And that required the plugin to be updated, and once it is updated for the new db version for the version, then the older versions no longer will work, right?  If I'm wrong, then fine the blanket statement covers it.

Angelblue05

Correct that RC release and official release for Helix and Isengard will work with our add-on, because Kodi doesn't modify database once they get to that point. Anything nightly/alpha/beta versions of Kodi might and usually change their database versions, that's why we don't officially support Jarvis at the moment.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Database_versions

Edited by Angelblue05