Have a couple of shows that freezes after 20 seconds unless I switch from DD to Stereo

pclausen

pclausen

I know that a while back there were issues with some titles not playing unless the Roku audio was switched from Dolby Digital to Stereo.  For the most part, that issue appears to have been resolved, but I came across a few (3 to be exact) TV Episode (The Walking Dead 3x14 - 3x16) that all stop playing after about 20 seconds.  They play fine in a web browser as well as on a HTPC running Emby Theater.  It also plays back with no issues using VLC.

The fix for the Roku for those specific shows, was to change the audio from Dolby Digital to Stereo.

I'd be happy to make the .mkv file available if that will help troubleshoot the issue.  The .mkv file is 1280x720 with video bitrate of 384kbps.  Audio is 6 channels at 48 KHz.

i'm not aware there was ever such an issue. have you tried just lowering the app's bitrate setting?

pclausen

I have not tried doing that Luke.  I have 3 Roku 3's and all are hardwired to the same GigE switch that my Emby server is on.  Bitrate is set to max on all the Roku's as well as on the server end.

The Roku's have no issue playing back full BDR .mks rips.

That said, I'd try lowering the bitrate on the Roku, although these particular episodes are not all that challenging being about 1Gig in size for a 45 minute episode.  When I switched from DD to Stereo and played the episode again, I did hear a slight click in the audio at the point where the Roku would kick out before.  I should also mention that I start playing from the next chapter, but again, the Roku will kick out after a few seconds when doing so.

Edited by pclausen

it's worth trying just to gather information. one of a few things is likely happening. either something is wrong with the video (vlc example not entirely relevant because that player is built to be extremely resilient), or the roku doesn't actually support the video and we should be transcodnig it anyway, or perhaps the bitrate is too high. yes if you want to post the sample file i can also try it locally.

pclausen

I changed the bandwidth on the Roku down from 30Mbps to the 3.2Mbps default and changed audio from Stereo to DD.  Streaming stopped at the exact same spot as before.

Here's the service log from that incident:

2015-10-02 17:22:22.9817 Info - App: Returning bif file: \\FREENAS\media\TVShows\The Walking Dead\Season 3\3x14 - Prey-320.bif
2015-10-02 17:22:22.9817 Error - HttpResultFactory: Error streaming data
*** Error Report ***
Version: 3.0.5753.2238
Command line: C:\Users\peter\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
Processor count: 8
64-Bit OS: True
64-Bit Process: False
Program data path: C:\Users\peter\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
Application Path: C:\Users\peter\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
System.IO.IOException
  at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
  at SocketHttpListener.Net.ResponseStream.InternalWrite(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
  at SocketHttpListener.Net.ResponseStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
  at System.IO.Stream.InternalCopyTo(Stream destination, Int32 bufferSize)
  at System.IO.Stream.CopyTo(Stream destination, Int32 bufferSize)
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.StreamWriter.WriteToInternal(Stream responseStream)
InnerException: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
  at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Send(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
  at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)

2015-10-02 17:22:22.9817 Error - HttpServer: Error this.ProcessRequest(context)(Exception while writing error to the response)
*** Error Report ***
Command line: C:\Users\peter\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
Application Path: C:\Users\peter\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
Cannot access a disposed object.
Object name: 'SocketHttpListener.Net.HttpListenerResponse'.
System.ObjectDisposedException
  at SocketHttpListener.Net.HttpListenerResponse.set_StatusCode(Int32 value)
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.SocketSharp.WebSocketSharpResponse.set_StatusCode(Int32 value)
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.ErrorHandler(Exception ex, IRequest httpReq)

2015-10-02 17:22:23.0285 Error - HttpResultFactory: Error streaming data
*** Error Report ***
Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
System.IO.IOException
  at SocketHttpListener.Net.ResponseStream.InternalWrite(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
  at SocketHttpListener.Net.ResponseStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.StreamWriter.WriteToInternal(Stream responseStream)
  at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Send(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)

2015-10-02 17:22:23.0285 Error - HttpAsyncTaskHandler: Error occured while Processing Request: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
*** Error Report ***
System.IO.IOException
  at ServiceStack.Formats.HtmlFormat.SerializeToStream(IRequest request, Object response, IResponse httpRes)
  at ServiceStack.HttpResponseExtensionsInternal.WriteErrorToResponse(IResponse httpRes, IRequest httpReq, String contentType, String operationName, String errorMessage, Exception ex, Int32 statusCode)
  at ServiceStack.ServiceStackHost.OnUncaughtException(IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, String operationName, Exception ex)
  at ServiceStack.HttpResponseExtensionsInternal.WriteToResponse(IResponse response, Object result, ResponseSerializerDelegate defaultAction, IRequest request, Byte[] bodyPrefix, Byte[] bodySuffix)
  at ServiceStack.HttpResponseExtensionsInternal.WriteToResponse(IResponse httpRes, IRequest httpReq, Object result, Byte[] bodyPrefix, Byte[] bodySuffix)
  at ServiceStack.HttpResponseExtensionsInternal.WriteToResponse(IResponse httpRes, IRequest httpReq, Object result)
  at ServiceStack.Host.RestHandler.<>c__DisplayClass5.<ProcessRequestAsync>b__0(Object response)
  at ServiceStack.Host.Handlers.ServiceStackHandlerBase.HandleResponse(Object response, Func`2 callback, Func`2 errorCallback)

2015-10-02 17:22:49.6855 Error - HttpResultFactory: Error streaming data
*** Error Report ***
System.IO.IOException

2015-10-02 17:22:49.6855 Error - HttpServer: Error this.ProcessRequest(context)(Exception while writing error to the response)
*** Error Report ***
Cannot access a disposed object.
Object name: 'SocketHttpListener.Net.HttpListenerResponse'.
System.ObjectDisposedException
  at SocketHttpListener.Net.HttpListenerResponse.set_StatusCode(Int32 value)
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.SocketSharp.WebSocketSharpResponse.set_StatusCode(Int32 value)
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.ErrorHandler(Exception ex, IRequest httpReq)

Vidman

I know that a while back there were issues with some titles not playing unless the Roku audio was switched from Dolby Digital to Stereo. For the most part, that issue appears to have been resolved, but I came across a few (3 to be exact) TV Episode (The Walking Dead 3x14 - 3x16) that all stop playing after about 20 seconds. They play fine in a web browser as well as on a HTPC running Emby Theater. It also plays back with no issues using VLC.

The fix for the Roku for those specific shows, was to change the audio from Dolby Digital to Stereo.

I'd be happy to make the .mkv file available if that will help troubleshoot the issue. The .mkv file is 1280x720 with video bitrate of 384kbps. Audio is 6 channels at 48 KHz.

I think you may be referring to the issue that the roku will only pass through DD if it is the second audio track and the first is stereo

Those errors don't mean much from the server's standpoint. All they tell us is that the client hung up the phone because it ran into something it didn't like. I notice it's direct streaming with a bif file. for testing purposes you could try removing the bif file then playing again just for the purpose of ruling that out as a problem.

pclausen

I deleted the bif file, changed from Stereo back to DD, and the video stopped the same spot again, about 20 seconds in.

I'll send you a pm with a link to the sample file I have been testing with.

Thanks!

pclausen

I think you may be referring to the issue that the roku will only pass through DD if it is the second audio track and the first is stereo

Ah yes, now that you mention it, I believe that was indeed what I was thinking of.

Happy2Play

To me it looks like the subtitle is killing the stream.  The video stops at/around first subtitle mark and I don't have subtitles enabled.

2015-10-04 16:59:49.6641

what are the languages of the audio and sub tracks, and what are your user language settings under playback?

Happy2Play

Guess I was wrong "Play default" checked.  Will test again without it enabled.

5611c3d633313_playback.jpg

5611c35e85af9_test.jpg

Happy2Play

Same result unchecking play default.  But removing the srt subtitles, the video plays fine.

i played it with no problem at all. the issue is for you guys it's taking a long time to extract the subtitles out of the file, and for it's a split second. the only real solution then is we're just going to have to have those subtitles burned in.

Happy2Play

But why would subtitles matter if they are not enabled?

Happy2Play

Before selection play subtitles were set to no in app interface also.

ok, thank you. i will have to look at the app, but in order to get them to default to off you need to change the Subtitle Mode setting, since you currently have no audio language preference set that means even eng is considered foreign.