22 replies to this topic

#21 Vidman OFFLINE  

Vidman

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2675 posts
  • Local time: 09:30 AM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:38 PM

Ok so don't get me wrong here, I love that we can load Emby on to loads of different devices

But issues like these to make me long for us to focus on one platform and make it the best that it can be

Format support for anything we can throw at it (within reason of course) great menus that are simple and clean works well with a remote IR/Phone etc

I would even be up for it being a whole operating system so it is JUST a Emby playback device to avoid 3rd party software issues

Mabey something that would run on the new Raspberry Pi 2 so that it is small and easy to fix into anyone living room setup, giving us the control to load it with as little or as much as we want (wireless, IR remote, Bluetooth, LED screen for now playing)

or

A full computer IF this would be better to stop the spec being a issue, loads of small pc are coming out at the moment making this a cheaper option everyday to get a small pc and put it behind that really flat TV with loads of room behind it

I just am starting to feel that we have loads of good Emby TV apps and no Great ones

The best devices that I run Emby on (TV apps) is still Emby for Windows Media Centre, running on windows 7 (as the licencing to do it on windows 8 is a PAIN ahhh MS why you do this?!?)

But Windows Media Centre is dead Microsoft killed it ages ago now and we will have to move forward without it ( :'( somehow )

So what do we think? am I the only one who feels this way? or does anyone else thing we should choose a Emby flagship device/platform/setup?

Well it seems to me the whole idea of emby is to have access to your media from any device, what I am not happy about is the trend I am seeing of dumbing down/disabling of features to cater to the lowest denominator rather than taking advantage of each devices features.... Tho I can see why it's done it doesn't mean I have to like it:)

#22 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46046 posts
  • Local time: 09:30 PM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:58 PM

we are relying on supported formats from the operating system and that is the biggest difference with Kodi.

The android mobile app however enjoys broad format support thanks to Vlc, it's just that Vlc doesn't seem to perform quite as well with the fire tv devices. but with the newer fire devices, that could very well change.

The only device we really have major issues with is the FTV Stick.  It is just too under-powered for VLC's decoding engine.

The real Fire TV, Nexus Player, Shield, etc. all perform pretty well with the limitations and work arounds we've built into the app.

#23 Nebular Nerd OFFLINE  

Nebular Nerd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Local time: 02:30 AM

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:05 PM

As mentioned in my thread that was linked to it's a given that the VLC decode engine is not up to the job on the TV Stick, MXPlayer's external libraries that enable it to happily decode HD content in pretty much any format you want (aside from high bit rate Blu content) are derived from ffmpeg and compiled to match the main Android cpu families.

http://forum.xda-dev...upport-t2156254

Could something similar be an idea for Emby, download the main app then pull down the required library to match?

• dowen01 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transcode, Fire TV stick, CPU, vlc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users