Problem with direct play

mizhgan
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

mizhgan

Hello!

What i have:

1. a fresh install of Kodi 15.1 on my htpc (KODIbuntu based)
  2. a fresh install of Emby server 3.0.5724.6 on my home server (Debian Linux 8)
  3. both htpc and server are separate machines connected with local network
  4. Emby server collections of media are seen and playable from web interface and from local network through UPnP (from my desktop Win 8.1, from Kodi browse UPnP and so on)
  5. installed latest Kodi Emby plugin 1.1.44 from beta repositiry
  6. Emby plugin did all things like find server, make initial full scan, populate Kodi DB with Emby server stuff, show me content in the Kodi interface

And here go strange things.

1. When i try to start playing some movie from Kodi - it throw an error - could not play one or more items, and drop some errors in log - http://xbmclogs.com/ppueg2vt6 . According to log - plugin try to direct play file, but passing a path to file according to server file path, wich of course could not be played directly from htpc (/var/plex/media/Movies/ path from logs are belong to server, where Emby is running)
  2. When i set in options - Play from HTTP instead of SMB - it start playing files, but in Emby web interface it says - Direct playing.

Well, after all it working for me, but it is pretty confusing.

• Solution
Angelblue05

Are you sure it didn't say Direct streaming and not direct playing? Your log doesn't contain when you tried play from http instead of smb, so I can't tell.

Your paths are incorrect, do you use SMB file protocol? You'll need to do path substitution in your emby server > library > path substitution.

For SMB you would do:

TO: \\networkshare\media\

Edit: I've just tested the setting, and it reports as Direct streaming.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 2

mizhgan

Thanks a lot, i am pretty newbie in Emby, just trying to migrate from Plex.

Indeed, it was saying Direct streaming.

With path substitution its all works well.

Thanks again.

Edited by mizhgan
  • Like 1