Advice on Re-Install

jamvids

I need to re-install windows on my server pc, which means re-installing Emby. I have done this before by simply copying the entire DB, images and all over to another drive, then copying back again before re installing emby (or MB3 as it was then) and it worked fine, this time I have the backup plugin installed and wouldn't mind a fresh DB as there is a lot of junk in mine now i.e files show up on search that don't exist etc. and also something has happened to some of my album metadata where I have the album name/song title twice. 

The thing I am really bothered about is played, favourite etc. are these backed up in the plugin? sorry in advance if I am asking a question that has been answered a million times.

tarnalcock

AFAIK, this is all contained in the NFO's. Depending on whether you chose to save these in your media folders or not, this should move across when you add your library paths again.

No, it isn't necessarily in the nfos because those can only hold information for one user.  The ability to save that to the NFO is just a Kodi compatibility feature and is not how we are actually designed.

Yes, the back up plug-in will backup users and user-data (favorites, play states, etc.) as long as you select those options.  It then will allow you to restore that data even into different users if you wish.

The main thing as far as using the backup plug-in for this purpose (a server transition) is to be sure everything about the environment is the same as before (drive letters, share names, server names etc).  Then, you should be fine.  A true backup of the "MediaBrowser-Server" folder would be extra insurance.

Also realize that when you re-install fresh, some options may behave slightly differently than on your legacy install because, when we introduce changes, many times we leave the old functionality in place for existing installs and only implement the new process with new installs.

One of these changes will be the target folder for the server which will become "Emby-Server".  Then some things like how metadata is saved may be different depending on what your current configuration is but those things should be transparent to everything except for you poking around looking at file extensions and locations.

• Like 2

Yeah, after I posted this I thought that, I will copy the server folders over, will try the backup and if I have problems I will simply do it the old way. 

I will let you know how it goes.