Group users for multi sync

tarnalcock
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

tarnalcock

Hi there,

I think this may be useful for families and the like.

My housemate and I watch series together but sometimes she is away or busy, so I carry on without her, and vice versa.

It would be really useful if we could create a group profile, called "house" for instance. This would then be linked to our individual profiles, so when we watched together as this "user" both our individual account's play states would be updated.

If I then wanted to continue alone I would use my personal profile which would not update hers or "house".

So this would be a one way sync from house to each user on said group.

Even better would be a two way sync but with a "resume from user_x or user_y" option.

I doubt this is a hugely necessary feature but it would be nice.

Edited by tarnalcock

• Solution

The server already has support for this situation but in a slightly different way.  I know EMC has implemented it and I plan to have it in the ATV app as well.  I'm not positive about the other apps.

In EMC it is called "Also Here".  Basically, you go to the user menu and check off the other users that are also in the room with you and their play states are updated with yours.

• Like 1

tarnalcock

Excellent! That sounds great! :) The idea of having it as "also here" actually makes much more sense than preconfigured groups! Would this change trickle down to the kodi plugin at any point?

You should ask the Kodi guys in that forum but I do fear that will be the hardest app to implement this in because Kodi doesn't really have the multi-user concept the same way we do.

It is already in the emby for kodi addon.... In fact you can configure users that are always added on startup too

Launch the addon and select "add users to session" or enter the addon settings to configure "permanently add users to session "

Edited by Vidman
  • Like 2

tarnalcock

It is already in the emby for kodi addon.... In fact you can configure users that are always added on startup too

ah! I see what you mean! So I create a kodi user that automatically associates the two (in my case) users on startup, and both should sync? Then separate users with their individual emby accounts linked? This makes sense! U will try it out when I get home!

That could possibly work... Tho it would probably be better/simpler to just have the two users and then either user could just added the other when required rather than needing to switch profiles... In fact I am certain this would be the way to do it as you can only login/sync 1 user per profile so the "house" profile would just sync the same info as what ever user you decide to login with anyway

Edited by Vidman

tarnalcock

That could possibly work... Tho it would probably be better/simpler to just have the two users and then either user could just added the other when required rather than needing to switch profiles... In fact I am certain this would be the way to do it as you can only login/sync 1 user per profile so the "house" profile would just sync the same info as what ever user you decide to login with anyway

Hi Vidman,

I only saw your reply this morning. I tried this out last night and found the following:

I created two users in Emby Server. Myself and my housemate, Grace. Each with their own corresponding profile in Kodi.

In Kodi I created another profile "House" with myself as the initial sign in user for the plugin, then added my housemate's emby profile name under "permanent users to add to the session".

Upon signing out and back in to Kodi, I get the server login message "Welcome Tarn, Grace!" I started playing a movie.

In the Emby Dashboard, status shows now playing "The Maze Runner - Tarn, Grace - [Duration] via Kodi".

Logging into the Emby front-end as each user, confirms that both are syncing the correct progress.

However, once I logged out of Kodi ("House" user), it appears that the sync information was lost as playing the movie again for either user starts it again at the beginning. There is watched status information in the NFO, but only one set of such. 

How does Kodi know to which user this progress pertains? If one of us then watched the movie again, would the progress for both be lost?

I actually fell asleep during the movie  ;) and only tested this out a little this morning before leaving for work. Will try your suggestion tonight and see how this pans out.

Thanks.

Yes What I was saying is that your house profile is just a duplicate of your profile so it's redundant

It should log the progress for which ever users are linked to that session

Edited by Vidman

tarnalcock

Yes What I was saying is that your house profile is just a duplicate of your profile so it's redundant

It should log the progress for which ever users are linked to that session

Well not quite, considering that my House profile automatically connects both my housemate and myself unless I am understanding this wrong.

I could either:

1. Log in as myself an manually add my housemate's username to my session, each time, via Settings Addons Program Addons > Emby > Settings > Add user to Session > User > [Enter username] > Done Add OR
  2. Create a separate user "house" (as myself) but with my housemate automatically added via the "permanent users to add to the session" option forever after Hit "S> Log Off Tarn > Scroll to House Hit "Enter" 

If my way of understanding this is correct, both methods listed should work, however the first one would not require me to navigate much more each time I want to create a joint session, whereas the second, redundant option, just adds the two of us automatically? I am just thinking in terms of minimal interaction here. 

Am I understanding this wrong?

Edited by tarnalcock

I again suggest 3...... same as 1 except create a keyboard/remote shortcut to directly open the "add user to session" dialog , then when another user joins just press the key and select the user. .. done

I am telling you the extra "house" profile is not the way to go

Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

tarnalcock

I again suggest 3...... same as 1 except create a keyboard/remote shortcut to directly open the "add user to session" dialog , then when another user joins just press the key and select the user. .. done

I am telling you the extra "house" profile is not the way to go

Ah that does make sense! Even fewer actions required! :)

tarnalcock

Hi Vidman,

Just to let you know I followed your advice and all is working well.

In order to emulate what ebr described earlier, I added a menu item on my home screen called "Also Here" and set the shortcut to "Add people to Session" so hitting this just brings up the user list and I select the appropriate user.

Watched a few episodes together last night and can confirm that all is working well.

Thanks for helping me see things from a better perspective :)

• Like 1

In order to emulate what ebr described earlier, I added a menu item on my home screen called "Also Here" and set the shortcut to "Add people to Session" so hitting this just brings up the user list and I select the appropriate user.

I think this points out one of our goals with Emby clients and, probably, a source of some people's discomfort with some of the interfaces in Kodi (not bashing, just making an observation).

In our interfaces, we are trying very hard to be intuitive and simple and not operate like a "computer program".  I think many interfaces designed by programmers end up looking too much like computer programs - which makes perfect sense to the developer - but not necessarily to an end user.

This operation is a case-in-point.  Where Kodi's solution is:  [nested down already a few levels of menus]->Settings->Add User to Session  The Emby solution is [click user icon]->Also here.

While the functions are identical, the former looks like a computer program and the latter is more user-oriented (IMO).  What is a session...?  Why do I want to add a user to one?

Again, not bashing anything here and Kodi is a great solution for a large population.  I just wanted to point this out so as we are all designing our interfaces for Emby, we can try to concentrate on simplicity and the user perspective :).  I know I have been guilty of this myself many times.

"Here endeth the lesson"  (bonus points for the film reference...)

• Like 4

tarnalcock

I think this points out one of our goals with Emby clients and, probably, a source of some people's discomfort with some of the interfaces in Kodi (not bashing, just making an observation).

In our interfaces, we are trying very hard to be intuitive and simple and not operate like a "computer program".  I think many interfaces designed by programmers end up looking too much like computer programs - which makes perfect sense to the developer - but not necessarily to an end user.

This operation is a case-in-point.  Where Kodi's solution is:  [nested down already a few levels of menus]->Settings->Add User to Session  The Emby solution is [click user icon]->Also here.

While the functions are identical, the former looks like a computer program and the latter is more user-oriented (IMO).  What is a session...?  Why do I want to add a user to one?

Again, not bashing anything here and Kodi is a great solution for a large population.  I just wanted to point this out so as we are all designing our interfaces for Emby, we can try to concentrate on simplicity and the user perspective :).  I know I have been guilty of this myself many times.

ebr, I agree completely with you in this regard (also not bashing. It was just a little frustrating at first, coming to a common understaning of what is "right" vs what "could be right, but isn't"). My original 'solution' achieved the exact same result, from my understanding, however was supposedly redundant. I think it does pretty much come down to "mindset" in this regard. I have the same problem with my own clients, where something that may seem intuitive to me, turns out to be a nightmare for them and vice versa. 

In this case, I know what a session is etc.. But using the option "permanent users to add to the session" seems much more intuitive for my use case than selecting said user each time. Given my understanding that doing so would add myself and the configured user automatically each time.

Either way, it is working 100% now thanks to Vidman's input, for which I am grateful. :)

Edited by tarnalcock

Mr. ebr, I do not approve of your methods.

ebr, I agree completely with you in this regard (also not bashing. It was just a little frustrating at first, coming to a common understaning of what is "right" vs what "could be right, but isn't"). My original 'solution' achieved the exact same result, from my understanding, however was supposedly redundant. I think it does pretty much come down to "mindset" in this regard. I have the same problem with my own clients, where something that may seem intuitive to me, turns out to be a nightmare for them and vice versa.

In this case, I know what a session is etc.. But using the option "permanent users to add to the session" seems much more intuitive for my use case than selecting said user each time. Given my understanding that doing so would add myself and the configured user automatically each time.

Either way, it is working 100% now thanks to Vidman's input, for which I am grateful. :)

Well if your use case is that there is more often that not more users then just add that user to your profile permanently in the emby for kodi settings then use the option to remove that user when they are not present instead Edited by Vidman

tarnalcock

Well if your use case is that there is more often that not more users then just add that user to your profile permanently in the emby for kodi settings then use the option to remove that user when they are not present instead

I am quite happy with the way it is now (using shortcut to add). As the saying goes "there are many ways to skin a cat"... ;)

Angelblue05

In our interfaces, we are trying very hard to be intuitive and simple and not operate like a "computer program". I think many interfaces designed by programmers end up looking too much like computer programs - which makes perfect sense to the developer - but not necessarily to an end user.

This operation is a case-in-point. Where Kodi's solution is: [nested down already a few levels of menus]->Settings->Add User to Session The Emby solution is [click user icon]->Also here.

While the functions are identical, the former looks like a computer program and the latter is more user-oriented (IMO). What is a session...? Why do I want to add a user to one?

Again, not bashing anything here and Kodi is a great solution for a large population. I just wanted to point this out so as we are all designing our interfaces for Emby, we can try to concentrate on simplicity and the user perspective :). I know I have been guilty of this myself many times.

"Here endeth the lesson" (bonus points for the film reference...)

I understand the need for simplicity. I don't think Kodi feels like a computer program. But again, I've been using it for many years.

In Kodi, it's just a matter of creating shortcuts to the content or function you want. You can remove menus and only keep what you find appropriate. No other interface will give you this kind of flexibility and will most likely always force you to use a cookie cutter layout.

The appeal to Kodi is the fact that I can tailor it the way I want it.

Now, ebr what you said regarding Kodi solution is pretty inaccurate, but I can understand since you don't use it. The fact of the matter is, we have an add-on and we have no control over the interface. All we can do is provide already built library sections and functions. Then, it's up to the user to create home menu shortcuts to what they actually want to use. So in day to day usage, if you are accessing nested menus, you are doing it wrong. It's that simple.

Setting up your interface is not complicated, but it does require you to sit down for 15-20min to do so. Kodi has a limited out of the box setup to begin with, but it leaves the user in control for the most part. The developers provide functionality and leave it up to the user to decide what's simple for them.

I personally hate cookie cutter layouts because there will always be something I'm unhappy with. Simplest example: the order of tabs in the webclient. Hate that it can't be changed. I don't have this issue with Kodi and I think it fills the need for users, like me, that like to be in control.

Kodi works a lot off feature requests and the many settings available are a direct result of it. I don't think it's a bad thing, because that's what advanced users want. More control and less leaving it up to the developers to decide what they think is right for their users.

In the end, kodi fills the need for the millions of people who like to control how their items are presented and played and there will always be a need for that kind of flexibility. Cookie cutter layout won't always cut it, there will always be feature requests from users asking to make their setup, their own and that's when Kodi steps in.

[currently working on a quick tutorial to easily get setup in Kodi and make the learning curve easier, for emby users coming to Kodi with our add-on.]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

tarnalcock

I understand the need for simplicity. I don't think Kodi feels like a computer program. But again, I've been using it for many years.

In Kodi, it's just a matter of creating shortcuts to the content or function you want. You can remove menus and only keep what you find appropriate. No other interface will give you this kind of flexibility and will most likely always force you to use a cookie cutter layout.

The appeal to Kodi is the fact that I can tailor it the way I want it.

Now, ebr what you said regarding Kodi solution is pretty inaccurate, but I can understand since you don't use it. The fact of the matter is, we have an add-on and we have no control over the interface. All we can do is provide already built library sections and functions. Then, it's up to the user to create home menu shortcuts to what they actually want to use. So in day to day usage, if you are accessing nested menus, you are doing it wrong. It's that simple.

Setting up your interface is not complicated, but it does require you to sit down for 15-20min to do so. Kodi has a limited out of the box setup to begin with, but it leaves the user in control for the most part. The developers provide functionality and leave it up to the user to decide what's simple for them.

I personally hate cookie cutter layouts because there will always be something I'm unhappy with. Simplest example: the order of tabs in the webclient. Hate that it can't be changed. I don't have this issue with Kodi and I think it fills the need for users, like me, that like to be in control.

Kodi works a lot off feature requests and the many settings available are a direct result of it. I don't think it's a bad thing, because that's what advanced users want. More control and less leaving it up to the developers to decide what they think is right for their users.

In the end, kodi fills the need for the millions of people who like to control how their items are presented and played and there will always be a need for that kind of flexibility. Cookie cutter layout won't always cut it, there will always be feature requests from users asking to make their setup, their own and that's when Kodi steps in.

[currently working on a quick tutorial to easily get setup in Kodi and make the learning curve easier, for emby users coming to Kodi with our add-on.]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been thinking of doing the same w.r.t tutorials.

And I definitely agree with the 'non cookie cutter' layout sentiment. However I think what ebr was trying to say was that certain features could do well to be implemented automatically, rather than requiring advanced configuration. I consider myself to be fairly competent with such things (which is sometimes detrimental!) but there are users out there who would benefit more from a simple install and run process. And it is close! Emby plugin automatically does so much already! A few tweaks here and there could benefit the, dare I say, majority - who would never think to get so deep into the configuration.

One thing I have been encountering is when  I create a shortcut to a feature in the emby plugin, when I select that shortcut, the context menu pops up and I first have to hit backspace to clear it before I can continue. Has anyone else encountered this? 

Angelblue05

Ah ok, :) It just seemed like he was saying that Kodi was all about nested menus to achieve access functions such as add users to the session. Nevermind then. I speak French so I sometime misunderstand. lol

Which skin are you using?

Edited by Angelblue05

I think the only way that will make configuring more automated/easier for new users would be a custom emby skin that can detect the emby for kodi addon and configure the kodi interface to suit

Which is what the older version did... The problems with the old version tho were that it was slow to navigate as everything was pulled from the server for every query and that a custom skin was required to customise anything

Edited by Vidman

tarnalcock

Ah ok, :) It just seemed like he was saying that Kodi was all about nested menus to achieve access functions such as add users to the session. Nevermind then. I speak French so I sometime misunderstand. lol

Which skin are you using?

Well, it is esentially. Before configuration! But some people lack the knowhow to make such things simpler. Or, as in my case, choose a more inefficient method of doing so.

I am using Arctic Zephyr Exploded, as per the Emby Repo. Kodi Isengard 15.2 RC2.

Angelblue05

Yes, unless script skin shortcuts actually lets us create shortcuts automatically for our users, it will need to be set manually. But all in all, the add-on does 80% of the work by importing and setting metadata according to your Emby setup. You don't need to deal with kodi scrapers, etc. I've known the struggle for many years, even starting fresh wasn't an option because of how slow of a process it was to insert my library into Kodi. Emby does all the heavy lifting, in a user friendly way and even solves some other issues. As a user, all that's left to do is simply creating shortcuts to what you want on your main interface.

However I can understand there's a lot of options, it's easy to get overwhelmed. This is why a tutorial is on the way, to get over that learning curve.

@@tarnalcock

I would suggest trying with a different skin, and seeing if you get the same problem. If you don't, then mention your issue in the skin thread. :)

Edited by Angelblue05

tarnalcock

Yes, unless script skin shortcuts actually lets us create shortcuts automatically for our users, it will need to be set manually. But all in all, the add-on does 80% of the work by importing and setting metadata according to your Emby setup. You don't need to deal with kodi scrapers, etc. I've known the struggle for many years, even starting fresh wasn't an option because of how slow of a process it was to insert my library into Kodi. Emby does all the heavy lifting, in a user friendly way and even solves some other issues. As a user, all that's left to do is simply creating shortcuts to what you want on your main interface.

However I can understand there's a lot of options, it's easy to get overwhelmed. This is why a tutorial is on the way, to get over that learning curve.

@@tarnalcock

I would suggest trying with a different skin, and seeing if you get the same problem. If you don't, then mention your issue in the skin thread. :)

Will do. Thanks @@Angelblue05