Memory leak with guide update

revengineer

revengineer

We know there is some sort of issue here but it isn't an easy fix and is fairly limited (I know, that doesn't do you much good since you are part of the group it affects).

For now, there is a Server Restart plug-in in the catalog.  Perhaps installing that and having it schedule a re-start late at night when no one is using the system will be a stop-gap so you don't have to babysit it.

Ok, a dev admission that something aint right here is the first step. Please let me know if there is any additional information I can contribute to a solution.

Does the restart plugin work for emby server as a windows service? I am asking because my service purposely is not running a logged in server so running as service is required.

revengineer

Running the dev version has gotten me around the need for the server restart issue. So that is a stop gap for now.

Are you saying the memory leak/high memory usage issue has already been fixed in the dev version?

mediacowboy

Are you saying the memory leak/high memory usage issue has already been fixed in the dev version?

No, I'm saying I don't see it because of the constant updates to the dev server.

revengineer

No, I'm saying I don't see it because of the constant updates to the dev server.

Hehe, that's another way of working around the problem.  :)

Does the restart plugin work for emby server as a windows service? I am asking because my service purposely is not running a logged in server so running as service is required.

Sorry, no.  The service cannot re-start itself.

mediacowboy

You could always create a schedule task to restart the service. We do that a lot at work.

We know there is some sort of issue here but it isn't an easy fix and is fairly limited (I know, that doesn't do you much good since you are part of the group it affects).

For now, there is a Server Restart plug-in in the catalog.  Perhaps installing that and having it schedule a re-start late at night when no one is using the system will be a stop-gap so you don't have to babysit it.

Regarding it not being an easy fix--is this because you haven't been able to reproduce the problem?

I ask because I have some development experience and would like to take a look at it.

revengineer

You could always create a schedule task to restart the service. We do that a lot at work.

Good idea. I have not used the task scheduler for this but I am sure I can figure it out.

Nathanio

You could create a batch file that task scheduler calls at a specified time. something simple like this

net stop emby

ping -n xx (gives time for process to close - will need to work out how long works for you)

net start emby

• Like 1

mediacowboy

I would do something like this.

Echo Off
CLS

net stop "emby"

Echo Please wait a second

timeout /t 15 /nobreak

net stop "emby"

timeout /t 15 /nobreak

net start "emby"

What that does is stops the services, waits 15 seconds, trys to stop the service again (safety check), waits another 15 seconds and then starts emby. You can always adjust the time to speed it up or slow it down.

• Like 1

Regarding it not being an easy fix--is this because you haven't been able to reproduce the problem?

I ask because I have some development experience and would like to take a look at it.

We think we know what the crux of the issue is and has to do with the memory requirements of dealing with as much data as we are in the format in which we are.  It just isn't an easy fix but we probably know how we will address it.

revengineer

We think we know what the crux of the issue is and has to do with the memory requirements of dealing with as much data as we are in the format in which we are.  It just isn't an easy fix but we probably know how we will address it.

That would explain why so much ram is needed. But I am not sure your theory addresses why not all of the ram is eventually released. In my case the latter is the bigger issue. I can work with the former as I have plenty of ram and since the 4GB patch I do not see out of memory errors.

In any case, there are folks here that can reproduce the issue and are willing to help by various means. Let us know if you need help.

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

Thanks for the tip ebr. I will start using that now.

I have noticed the rising memory usage over time for the past 2 months but never posted about it because I had seen other posts regarding it and I figured it would get fixed at some point. Mine usually starts at around 78mb to 115mb when I either restart the computer or the server for an update. It then usually creeps up to around 335 to 400mb over a few days. It seems to stick in the 300s for me and rarely goes over 400 but maybe that is due to server/computer restarts that I do fairly often. Plus, I have plenty of memory so the higest % I usually get to is around 40% total with everything running and the server. But, the server is always the program using the most memory of any program I have at any given time.

Thanks for the tip ebr. I will start using that now.

I have noticed the rising memory usage over time for the past 2 months but never posted about it because I had seen other posts regarding it and I figured it would get fixed at some point. Mine usually starts at around 78mb to 115mb when I either restart the computer or the server for an update. It then usually creeps up to around 335 to 400mb over a few days. It seems to stick in the 300s for me and rarely goes over 400 but maybe that is due to server/computer restarts that I do fairly often. Plus, I have plenty of memory so the higest % I usually get to is around 40% total with everything running and the server. But, the server is always the program using the most memory of any program I have at any given time.

I think that's just normal.   Emby requires memory to operate and, as you access more and more of your library, more memory may be required.  But, you should see it level off like you do.  The problem these other folks are having is related to the guide refresh when there is a large channel line-up and, with the right combination of factors, this memory build-up can become too much for what is available to the app (much less than what is actually on the machine).

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

I think that's just normal.   Emby requires memory to operate and, as you access more and more of your library, more memory may be required.  But, you should see it level off like you do.  The problem these other folks are having is related to the guide refresh when there is a large channel line-up and, with the right combination of factors, this memory build-up can become too much for what is available to the app (much less than what is actually on the machine).

Ah, Ok. Yeah, I haven't noticed anything unusual directly related to the guide updating. I do have 200+ channels on the Prime and thought I may have a similar issue, but nice to know what I should be at memory usage-wise. I only have two plugins though (Trakt and Kodi Sync) as when I used to use Coverart it went even higher when that was processing images a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
JeremyFr79

Let me throw myself into this as well.

Issue for me seemed to start with the latest Beta releases (5768 line).

At any rate I can watch a slow but continual rise in memory on my server even at full idle until it eventually throws an out of memory exception and crashes (which is on at least a daily basis sometimes more than once a day).

I've verified it resolves by removing the ServerWMC plugin from the server but this isn't a good workaround for me as I act like a private cable supplier for some family members.

My current setup is running server 5768.6 on a 32 core machine with 128GB of memory.  Server 2k8 Enterprise X64, and ServerWMC as the TV backend.  I do not use the channelsdirect service.  I have 8 tuners that feed into Emby Server through Server WMC all Ceton's.