FFMpeg issue

Emeds

First of all, thanks for the great, free service. I look forward to supporting in the future.

To the point - I wasn't able to carry out these steps:

# Reinstall FFMpeg from ports with lame option enabled
cd /usr/ports/multimedia/ffmpeg
make config
# enable the lame option
# enable the ass subtitles option
make install clean

Because of read-only access. No multimedia folder existed. Instead, I just reinstalled FFMpeg (2.8 I think) - everything is working, I'm just wondering if maybe the CPU usage would be more efficient if lame was enabled. I really know nothing about media files and transcoding, sorry. But from what I've heard from others, an i5 processor should easily be able to serve several clients (~4mbps). Right now, at least when the movie initially plays, the CPU hits 90-100% usage, 80% for lower quality files. Does that sound about right? Thanks.

**environment- NAS4FREE with Emby installed in a jail

Alright, thanks. Any idea on why I don't have permissions at this step? I'm accessing the server like this

Putty --> NAS4FREE --> log into jail with root + wheel privileges but get stuck "cd /usr/ports/multimedia/ffmpeg" since /multimedia doesn't exist and can't write.

josh4trunks

Alright, thanks. Any idea on why I don't have permissions at this step? I'm accessing the server like this

Putty --> NAS4FREE --> log into jail with root + wheel privileges but get stuck "cd /usr/ports/multimedia/ffmpeg" since /multimedia doesn't exist and can't write.

I bet you could get better help on the NAS4Free forums/IRC.

I bet you could get better help on the NAS4Free forums/IRC.

Thanks, I'll register for that forum too hah. The CPU usage has dropped to ~25% now, so restarting probably helped.

josh4trunks

ohh and just a guess. If you jails are managed using ezjail the /usr/ports directory is a readonly mount into the jail. In this case I would readup on how you install ports to your jails, which would be done on the host system.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

ohh and just a guess. If you jails are managed using ezjail the /usr/ports directory is a readonly mount into the jail. In this case I would readup on how you install ports to your jails, which would be done on the host system.

Yeah. It's Finch, actually. I'm going to read up and see if I can't get that to happen tomorrow. Thanks!