Premium Android app

PoBear

Hi

Are there now two versions of the Emby app on Android? I purchased the App from the Play Store just after it was released, but haven't used it recently, went to the channels guide in Live TV and was asked to pay for a premium version!

Thanks

Everything you paid for is still available to you as the app is nearly completely free. Your payment went to a previous community developer, and since the guide is a newly introduced feature since that time, that unlockable is what helps the app support itself. Note that it's also free for Emby Supporters.

• 2 weeks later...
Tester

I am having the same issue now, it is asking me to purchase premium to see past 5 channels.

UPDATE:  I take that back, all of the sudden after I made this post all of my channels are showing.  

Edited by Tester

• 2 months later...
ABNParatrooper

Hello all, maybe I am missing something cause now I am trying to setup Emby mobile on my lady's tablet and it keeps asking me to purchase premium. Is this the new process to use the mobile app? I don't mind, just want to know if this is now the process. I know we have been using the app for free for a long time, so to pay for it now with all the development going on, it is well worth it. Either way, would love to know if the free option is still available or is purchasing premium the only option now.

Hello all, maybe I am missing something cause now I am trying to setup Emby mobile on my lady's tablet and it keeps asking me to purchase premium. Is this the new process to use the mobile app? I don't mind, just want to know if this is now the process. I know we have been using the app for free for a long time, so to pay for it now with all the development going on, it is well worth it. Either way, would love to know if the free option is still available or is purchasing premium the only option now.

We have recently switched it to paid however we have made an attempt to keep the app free for all devices that were using it for free before. on your existing devices you can continue to use the app free forever. on new devices, it requires either the one-time in-app unlock, or emby premiere.

ABNParatrooper

Oh OK, that is fair enough and quite fine with me. As an IT person myself (Desktop Engineer), I appreciate all the work you guys have been doing since the inception of the application back in 2008 (I think) when it was called Media Browser. Is it still free for other mediums like Roku etc.?

Dizzy49

We have recently switched it to paid however we have made an attempt to keep the app free for all devices that were using it for free before. on your existing devices you can continue to use the app free forever. on new devices, it requires either the one-time in-app unlock, or emby premiere.

I checked the Google Play store and see what appears to be two Free apps. 

I purchased an Emby Premiere key for my server back in September (using my wife's PayPal account).  The Android app was free, and it was my understanding that I could connect to the server from all of our devices (4 different Google Accounts, none of which are my wife's PayPal email) and we would have access to services/options/features.

The family all received new tablets over the holiday and none of us could play anything, and it made for a VERY upset family, and a REALLY long drive home.  We tried the "Restore Purchase", but it said the purchase could not be restored, and to email.  I sent an email yesterday, but still haven't heard back.

Seems like REALLY bad timing as none of us were able to use Emby over the Christmas holiday.  The entire thing is extremely confusing.  You may want to revert until things are sorted out, and have made things clear on what is included, what needs to be paid for, the path forward with the Android App and Emby Premier, etc.

I checked the Google Play store and see what appears to be two Free apps. 

I purchased an Emby Premiere key for my server back in September (using my wife's PayPal account).  The Android app was free, and it was my understanding that I could connect to the server from all of our devices (4 different Google Accounts, none of which are my wife's PayPal email) and we would have access to services/options/features.

The family all received new tablets over the holiday and none of us could play anything, and it made for a VERY upset family, and a REALLY long drive home.  We tried the "Restore Purchase", but it said the purchase could not be restored, and to email.  I sent an email yesterday, but still haven't heard back.

Seems like REALLY bad timing as none of us were able to use Emby over the Christmas holiday.  The entire thing is extremely confusing.  You may want to revert until things are sorted out, and have made things clear on what is included, what needs to be paid for, the path forward with the Android App and Emby Premier, etc.

Are you sure you emailed yesterday? Because all inquiries from yesterday have been responded to. 

In any event, since you have Premier, you this should just work all on it's own. In order to validate, ensure your Emby Premier key is entered into your Emby Server. Then the apps need to sign in once on the local network inside the LAN. Then they'll remember the result and be unlocked forever.

Dizzy49

Are you sure you emailed yesterday? Because all inquiries from yesterday have been responded to. 

In any event, since you have Premier, you this should just work all on it's own. In order to validate, ensure your Emby Premier key is entered into your Emby Server. Then the apps need to sign in once on the local network inside the LAN. Then they'll remember the result and be unlocked forever.

That seemed to work for my tablet and phone, but not my wife or daughter's.

Last night we downloaded Emby onto my wife's phone while we were at home and attempted to use Emby and were unable to.  I just installed on her tablet now, and it's not working either.

FYI, I reported a login issue which you fixed a few days ago, however, it's still a little wonky.  It allows me to sign into Emby Connect but hangs at the user selection.  I have to force close the app, and reload it before it will actually let me in.  I just tried at app.emby.media and it's doing the same thing.  The page was stuck, but a F5 refreshed it and I was able to select a user and it let me in.  (Another quick note, it only has my own server (Local server), and will not let me add another (I want to add my remote domain).

So to summarize.

Have Emby Premier key on the server

Now works on my devices (my Google account) after signing in with my Emby Connect account

Does not work on my wife's devices (her Google account) after signing in with my Emby Connect account

Sign-In process is still wonky, and Emby Connect does not save additional servers (in Android app, or on web)

Edit:  I emailed yesterday evening, so it may have been received after hours.

Edited by Dizzy49

Ok so this is an issue with the application itself and not the purchasing aspect. As far as emails go, it doesn't really matter because there's nothing more we would tell you privately, but do not have any new unanswered emails right now.

Dizzy49

Ok so this is an issue with the application itself and not the purchasing aspect. As far as emails go, it doesn't really matter because there's nothing more we would tell you privately, but do not have any new unanswered emails right now.

Any chance of reverting until you get it figured out?  There is enough rage over the move to the paid app, and that doesn't bother me so much as the timing, and the fact that it seems to have been done with little to no notice.  I checked the Announcements and Android App forums and there was nothing mentioned in either place.  Just seems like some REALLY poor choices were made regarding the release...

FYI, I did note that there is a sentence in the signup saying that the device should be connected via Wifi on the network.  Good to know, but there are MANY cases where that just isn't practical, or even possible.

Dizzy49

After many attempts of logging in, and out, force stops, and tablet reboots I finally got my wife's tablet to log in and work correctly.

I would seriously consider other options for verification, this one was a serious pain in the butt, and since we were not home it was not even possible for us to use Emby.  I know people host their servers remotely and things as well, and it means that Emby is no longer an option for those people.  I can't share mine with my brother in another country because he will never be able to log in locally.

Vidman

After many attempts of logging in, and out, force stops, and tablet reboots I finally got my wife's tablet to log in and work correctly.

I would seriously consider other options for verification, this one was a serious pain in the butt, and since we were not home it was not even possible for us to use Emby. I know people host their servers remotely and things as well, and it means that Emby is no longer an option for those people. I can't share mine with my brother in another country because he will never be able to log in locally.

Your brother could purchase the app to unlock playback for a couple of dollars or use one of the clients that don't require it Edited by Vidman

Bert-KS

so, paying $4.99/month or $99/once just to use the Android app???

Bert-KS

Read again

The app in the Goople Store does not tell you how much it costs, it does not tell you on how many devices you can use it on either...

Where do you want me to read about the app pricing?

Edited by Bert-KS

He was referring to his post above.

Your brother could purchase the app to unlock playback for a couple of dollars or use one of the clients that don't require it

You can unlock the app (for a given Google account) for $4.89.

• Like 1

You can unlock the app (for a given Google account) for $4.89.

A clear statement, ebr. Thank you.

Why does it not tell you the price in Google Store directly? I don't think it's fair to say the app is free BUT you cannot really use it until you pay for it. Just browsing the library is not really a great feature, if you want it free. What's the politics behind hiding the price?

Could the description in Google Store not just change to: 'Price model has changed, to future support the Android App please pay a once-off fee of $4.89 (valid for all you Android devices linked to your account).' instead of this really long and confusing paragraph which is in there now? Guys, keep thinks simple!

A clear statement, ebr. Thank you.

Why does it not tell you the price in Google Store directly? I don't think it's fair to say the app is free BUT you cannot really use it until you pay for it. Just browsing the library is not really a great feature, if you want it free. What's the politics behind hiding the price?

Could the description in Google Store not just change to: 'Price model has changed, to future support the Android App please pay a once-off fee of $4.89 (valid for all you Android devices linked to your account).' instead of this really long and confusing paragraph which is in there now? Guys, keep thinks simple!

This is what it says. 

This app is free to browse your media collection and cast to other devices. Local playback on the device requires either a one-time in-app purchase, or an active Emby Premiere subscription.

We'll have to see about adding the price to the store listing. The issue though is currency, and pricing per country.

Part of the problem is different currencies. I believe the store listing does include a price displayed by Google as a range and this should show in the proper currency.

We do need to make the restriction clear.