Browse DLNA File Sources

sneakers282

sneakers282

Emby is great media server, I'm really enjoying it's features however I do have a feature request that I think would be of use.

A lot of regular DLNA media servers have a file/folder structure browsing mode alongside media library mode and some dont even have the media library mode, the emby server only has media library mode with no file folder structure browsing.

Not everyone (at least in my family) likes the media library mode with having to dig down through multiple menus to get to content, they are accustomed to simply browsing folders like on a computer & prefer it that way. In addition sometimes you have content that doesnt really fit into a media library like vacation or temp videos.

Would it be possible to add an option into the DLNA settings on the emby server allowing it show the file/folder directory layout sources you added, that way those who want to view the media library via DLNA and those who want just files/folders are both covered. At the DLNA top level you have Emby then when you go into that you have your normal Movies\TV\Music entries along with the optional "File Sources" if enabled.

Thanks.

Update: Found the mixed sources feature in the set content type, this seems to do the job of basic folder browsing for DLNA so scratch this request.

Edited by sneakers282
  • Like 3

• 9 months later...
adrian_

I second this. Even wondered, that this isn't available. For me it would also be fine as a premiere feature.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
FreeBSD_Lover

Did this get implemented? I using Version 3.2.33.0 (on FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE if that matters).  I too prefer the file/folder structure browsing mode.  I'm trying to turn it on but I don't see where to configure it.

Thanks all!

FreeBSD_Lover

Boys oh boys, this thing just keeps on getting better.  When this feature shows up in DLNA that very well may be the icing on the cake.  I'm a big fan of DLNA, its such a lightweight way to stream to video devices.  I used to use miniDLNA because some other media server didn't do a good job of it.  This seems to be working really well.

Edit - DLNA can be lightweight, but I see in Emby it uses transcoder resource (FFMPEG) by default.

Thanks a ton everyone!

Edited by FreeBSD_Lover

• 2 months later...

It seems like when you enable folder view, that part of the folder browsing function work though DLNA, but not all. It's a bit of a mix of folder view and album view.

@Luke

The picture below is the way the folder structure is within my music folder on my nas

5a6b9491dac1e_folder.png

The next picture is taken from within Windows, but this example is the same on every DLNA connected device when I use folder view

5a6b94bee4283_dlna_folder.png

It says folder for items I even don't have as a folder :-) (soul ballads, Italo magic, Liquid mind)
And yes I have checked all the rights of emby on the folders and files and yes did a rescan of all folders, but it just stays like this.

Edited by KOD

• 3 years later...
FrederikB

Got involved in this starting with emby on my configuration: Linux server and Yamaha (musiccast controlled) and it turns out emby does provide folder browsing in the meantime on some DLNA clients, amongst those my old Philips TV, but NOT on the Yamaha Musiccast (whereas Plex does). So it's an emby+Yamaha issue. I'll post my images at the thread related to Yamaha.