My TV is dumt, I want a smart one - please help me

KRA

I'm really just throwing out some ideas/concerns here, I really hope someone like to share their experience.

So I'm looking to replace my living room TV, currently it's setup to use Kodi with emby plugin, I also use Kodi for Live-tv/PVR (tvheadend).

But here is the dilemma, what brand to bet on for best client support. Looking at this forum Samsung seems to be the safe bet, but then there's the kicker, and it's called Tizen. All models now has Tizen OS. Tizen uses some awsome tech (wayland), but it's new, so hard to find information and app support. And does Tizen playback video at native refresh rate ? Also Luke said in android thread "We're working on something new that will eventually work for tizen" whatever that means, I'm not holding my breath.

So I went on to look at Android (Philips and Sony) but I've read some people claiming android tv is buggy and it seems android does not allow changing refresh rate to match video, allways playing 60hz (really bad for us europeans). That's a big no no for me.

LG has it's WebOS, no Emby plugin on the horizon ?

And on the sideline, FirefoxOS, didn't see that one comming, and tbh I don't see myself betting on that one. It looks like 2005 compared to Tizen.

Then there's also the DLNA route, I guess this might give best playback quality (but can I start a video with my windows phone, and remote play it via dlna ?) If anything it's a failsafe, but I really want a integrated solution with the tv remote.

Also, do tv's come with SMB browsing support these days ? Can I access my files via filesharing ?

jackalopes

I have a Samsung TV and personally prefer to use OpenELEC and Kodi to navigate my media.  While I've connedted my TV to my Emby server, I'm not a fan of how the media is displayed.  I guess I'm spoiled with the Kodi interface.

Logos302

If you go with an android TV you can just run the android app on your tv no need for any other device.  sony, sharp, and philips all have one either coming or out already.  Or you could get a dumb tv and hook up a nvidia shield, nexus , or razer device. I think the device is probably a better choice as if something better comes along you just swap it out and you good to go.  But that is just my opinion.  

Thanks for input guys, tbh I really want to move away from the external box and more spesific 2 remotes. I guess CEC works on some of these devices but still, and integrated solution is less clutter, less cables. Also I believe nexus player still has limitations with correct Hz for playback ? 

im85288

My opinion is none of the apps in a smart tv (I have a fairly new 4k Samsung TV) can compete with the power/flexibility of Kodi. They just do not have enough power/processing/codec support etc to be viable for me as a HTPC replacement. They are ok for a bedroom TV...but even then I would advise getting a Fire TV stick and putting Kodi on that.

You can easily control everything with one remote (or your phone etc)...just purchase a Harmony Smart Remote and you will never use two remotes again

You are correct im, but something I forgot to mention. I have a cinema room. This is for my living room, and I want less clutter, less hasle (kodi/plugin updates etc) and very userfriendly. I have the harmony, but it would still be extra cables for signal and power, and remote recievers. I don't want to see anyting but my TV on the wall, no cables or nothing (power and signal is hidden behind TV)

So I get it, external player is best option. But I really don't want that. So what am I left with ? are the alternatives really that crap ? Is DNLA a viable option for Emby with todays smart-tv ?

Hi i know you stated you dont want a second device, but i tried ridicules many different solutions and players and i really encourage  you to take a look on, remix mini (rely sheep, running remix 2.0 (love it over standard android) and support H.265 which is a big + for me and what i believe to be the future of streaming media)

you just hang it behind the tv and you dont have to see it any more, i do this with my android tv i use now ( i made a hole behind the tv and a cables go there)

control i with your phone or keyboard or flying mouse/keyboard.

/Regards

Logos302

It really to each there own, but if you really want an internal one then I would suggest an Android TV.  With that you get the added bonus of being able to play games with it if you wanted, voice control with some of them not all.  Personally I don't really like kodi it was far to cumbersome to setup and it does things that just don't make sense to me.  Example being that it has it's own Database that it updates, and if anything goes wrong with it (Like that last update, which I guess was more of a DB change but anyways) you have to rebuild it, which can take for every.   im85288 is right in that kodi is more flexible but that also means that you have to know how to deal with that. for my viewing needs I like things that I just plug in and go, for me kodi is not that.  There are also ruko tv's but I don't know much about them, but depending on your needs that might work as well.  You might also try using one of those Intel Windows on a stick and using the windows app,  or even Chromecast if you're ok with needing another device to activate your tv.  There's lots of options.  It might be better to figure out what options you want and eliminating device/tvs that don't have them.  IE DTS, DD, 3d, Etcetera.  

@@chali thanks for suggestion, I had a look at the remix mini, didn't find much info on it. Since you have it, may I ask. Does it change refresh rate according to source, and does it handle interlaced source material, does it work with hdmi-cec ?

@@Logos302 I know what I want but I don't think it's out there :) I have been using HTPC and Mediacenter soultions for the past 20 years, still looking for that perfect system :S There's allways something wrong you know. In my cinema room I'm quite happy with Openelec Kodi with emby plugin running on a Intel Nuc with a harmony remote to control it all. But for my living room I want something so simple my grandmother could use it. And right now, for Emby support, it seems a Android based tv is the best solution, but running all media at 60Hz is not acceptable to me. Currently my Livingroom tv is running Kodi with emby plugin directly on my qnap nas, I also have a chromecast connected but I'm not happy with either solution.