Old movie gets transcoded

EduardoSantos

speechles, were they available in the video player menu to be turned on and off? i think i might have missed that.

speechles, were they available in the video player menu to be turned on and off? i think i might have missed that.

Yes, if they are .srt and chosen via "audio & subtitles" they can be turned off and on via * menu.

If they are other than .srt, choosing "audio & subtitles" they will be burned in. The * menu of course isnt used in this case with burned-in subtitles.

When direct-play without using "audio & subtitles" the non-srt subtitles can be selected in the * menu, but they dont display of course, since they arent srt.

Is this what you meant?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

EduardoSantos

I am not certain I did installed the beta @@Luke has mentioned.

App shows version 2.15.

Tested various movies. All of them played directly as supposed without having selected subtitles.
It seems the problem is solved.

Does the beta version superpose the main? 

Edited by EduardoSantos

Happy2Play

The beta eventually gets pushed to official/stable release.

EduardoSantos

But I am afraid there is still a problem. This specific movie (avengers) I sent the mediainfo gets transcoded with or without selecting subs. Not selecting, though will cause transcoding abortion and no playing. Only when subs are selected will the movie play. 

@@EduardoSantos

The avengers movie is going to require transcoding either way, because of the level of the video. It should not abort transcoding if there is no subtitle stream selected. This will have to be looked at more closely. We dont want to solve old bugs, and introduce new ones. This is chasing your tail.

Just so I understand correctly, this issue is now "transcoded mkv with embedded subtitles not chosen aborts transcoding"? To just press play without using the audio & subtitles menu?

Can you try https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=EmbyBlueNeon again. If you still have it, run a roku system update to get the newest app. This contains the same method for subtitles, but then the ability to direct play level 5.x video may make things work differently. It sounds like the transcoding is the culprit. Direct play will confirm thats the problem.

Edited by speechles

EduardoSantos

This issue now could be "transcoded mkv with embedded subtitles not chosen SOMETIMES aborts transcoding".

I will check the blue neon theme just to be shure.

But anyway there are scenarios mkvs with embedded subtitles will transcode ok with no selected subtitles.

Thanks, many thanks for you and @@Luke

EduardoSantos

@@EduardoSantos

The avengers movie is going to require transcoding either way, because of the level of the video. It should not abort transcoding if there is no subtitle stream selected. This will have to be looked at more closely. We dont want to solve old bugs, and introduce new ones. This is chasing your tail.

Just so I understand correctly, this issue is now "transcoded mkv with embedded subtitles not chosen aborts transcoding"? To just press play without using the audio & subtitles menu?

Can you try https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=EmbyBlueNeon again. If you still have it, run a roku system update to get the newest app. This contains the same method for subtitles, but then the ability to direct play level 5.x video may make things work differently. It sounds like the transcoding is the culprit. Direct play will confirm thats the problem.

I tryed the Emby Blue Neon again. I think something goes wrong in there. No mkv with embedded subtitles succeded to play. Regardless of subtitle selection/not selection Embly Blue Neon would immediatly stop after selecting play.

MKVs with no embedded subs will play just ok selecting or not subtitles.

Just tell me if you want app or server logs.

I tryed the Emby Blue Neon again. I think something goes wrong in there. No mkv with embedded subtitles succeded to play. Regardless of subtitle selection/not selection Embly Blue Neon would immediatly stop after selecting play.

MKVs with no embedded subs will play just ok selecting or not subtitles.

Just tell me if you want app or server logs.

You've done well enough already. Thanks for sticking around to figure this out too. I haven't done enough it appears.. ;/

I found an issue, where I wasn't completely following all @@Luke's commits regarding subtitles. I skipped one.. heh *slaps self*

So if you wouldn't mind trying again. Update your roku, or reget the .zip and can you please try again? Btw, did you notice the "glowing" border cursor is back? [emoji14]

Edited by speechles

EduardoSantos

Updated and tested.

It still does not play mkv files with embedded subs.

If I decrease max bitrate, the film gets transcoded any plays nicely.

Noticed the glowing border. It is very nice.

Also noticed posters from film collections are displayed correctly - regular version does not.

@@EduardoSantos

Seems I didn't catch that luke had reverted the subtitle cbanges. I adopted the changes he made for subtitles, this is what broke it.. Shortly after he mustve noticed it broke things and he reverted. I never noticed.. my bad..Haw.. Gotta love it!! :)

If you didn't have external subtitles, or embedded subtitles it would crash the client off.. oops...But now, I've reverted the same changes so it should produce a different result now and actually work. :D

Also, thanks for sticking around and helping quality test the subtitle support of the roku client.

/me tips hat

EduardoSantos

@@speechles

It worked. Emby Blue Neon directly played everything with embedded subs, including the Avengers with level 5 profile.

I think problem is solved.

@@EduardoSantos

Nice. Thanks for the confirmation. You da man!

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/26392-Roku-3-Plays-Directly-an-MKV-File,-There's-Audio,-No-Video

Please reply in this thread. You had the same problem as another user, this makes it easier for @@Luke to address the issue having those users experience the issue in the same thread. Thanks again.

Edited by speechles