What is the Xml Metadata Plug-in for?

Raff
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

So, I was looking around the Plug-in page on my server just to see what was new and I saw the Xml Metadata plug-in. A while back, I decided to use NFO when I could - but not completely sure why and I am open to changing. So, I am curious about this plug-in.

Specifically 2 questions:

1. How is this different than picking "Emby Xml" as a metadata saver and prioritizing it over my NFOs? Specifically, what does the plug-in do that Emby doesn't do already?

2. I had to have chosen NFO for a reason. Maybe because it would integrate with other tools/platforms? Regardless, my question is why would I pick one format over the other?

Happy2Play

Where/when did this plugin come from ?

Isn't XML the default format for Emby ?

it will be like that for a little while because i don't want to disrupt existing installs. you only need the plugin if you install fresh. i was counting on most users not noticing the plugin at all, so that's why i'm ok with it temporarily.

Also, there aren't going to be xml options for every type. I will update the plugin listing to indicate which ones are included. The goal is to ensure the server core only ships with one option per content type. that is why some types still include xml saving with the server, because there are no existing nfo conventions for them.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/25328-xml-metadata-saver-plugin-and-services-issues/

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

Thanks.

So does/would this replace the METADATA Services tab on a fresh install ??

Perhaps Luke's comment needs adding to the Plugin details. 

you only need the plugin if you install fresh.

• Like 1

Actually, it is "you only need the plug-in if you install fresh and just absolutely have to have metadata files with an 'xml' extension".

The majority of new people installing won't need the plug-in.

• Like 1

Actually, it is "you only need the plug-in if you install fresh and just absolutely have to have metadata files with an 'xml' extension".

The majority of new people installing won't need the plug-in.

MB3 has always used XML files, so why the change ??

Looks like I missed the announcement then.

What are the standards in use now then please ??

I still see XML files being created for my movies and TV shows.

If held within the database I don't have an issue.

Please advise.

Edited by CBers

• 4 months later...
Happy2Play

Anyone still using xml metadata, you need to install the XML Saver plugin, do to xml saving being completely removed from core.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/commit/82e6148c407e5a1de6bf1f388a7e5b434a20169c

3.0.5818.0 is the last build that will have xml savers still in core.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1