Guest Accounts have access to Admin Account in Fire TV

chmarkes

I am having a major issue with the Fire TV Stick (It's also happening on the Nexus Player app).  I recently added my sister as a guest account to my server, but on her Fire TV Stick, whenever she chooses "Login with Connect" after entering the pin on her computer using HER USERNAME AND PASSWORD, she is given the "choose a user" screen on the app.  The major issue here is even though she used the pin with HER account, she is unable to launch the app using her account.  It always gives the "Invalid Username or Password" error.  She CAN however, click on MY username (the admin account) and the app works perfectly.  This is a major issue, as I'd like to add more guests, but absolutely can't if they all have immediate access to my admin account, and not their own when using a Set top box.  The app works perfectly under her account for Android, as well as the web client, but there definitely are some wires crossed when it comes to the pin sign on for the box apps.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  

Thank you!

First, put a password on your admin account.  That way, even if it is visible, it won't be accessible.

Next we need to figure out what is crossed up.  Is it possible to delete her guest account and re-create it to see if that clears it up?

Maybe before you do that though, have her look in the settings of the app and make sure that "Show login screen" is selected as the default login behavior.  Then have her try to access.

I have several guest accounts linked to my setup and they all always take me directly into the proper user so something is screwed up somewhere.

First, put a password on your admin account.  That way, even if it is visible, it won't be accessible.

Next we need to figure out what is crossed up.  Is it possible to delete her guest account and re-create it to see if that clears it up?

Maybe before you do that though, have her look in the settings of the app and make sure that "Show login screen" is selected as the default login behavior.  Then have her try to access.

I have several guest accounts linked to my setup and they all always take me directly into the proper user so something is screwed up somewhere.

Thanks for your quick reply!  I assumed that my account, because I created my emby server under my Emby Connect Account, would keep that password, but i guess not.  That does solve one of my issues, as now my guests can't use my account.  I've re-added her as a guest, and she's unable to access my account now, but still can't access her own.  Once she completes the pin verification in the browser, she is sent to the "select a user" screen.  She gets the list of my users and guests (also strange)  but when she selects her own account, she's given the "Invalid User Id or password" error.  When she selects, mine, she is prompted for the password now.  The settings (to ensure "Show Login Screen" is selected aren't available until a user is logged in.  

Sorry to post another update here but I figured that the more details you have the better.  When my sister uses the pin connect for the app and selects the Admin account (i had her try it with the new admin password) while she's watching something (her app says the account is my admin one)  my Emby Dashboard sees it as her account that is actually watching.  So the dashboard knows which account is really in use, but the app will not allow Guests to log in.  Thanks again!

Can she try going to the settings on the device and choosing "clear data" for the Emby TV app.  Then try accessing via connect again.

She should never see the user screen going in via Connect so, if that is happening, it must be because the log-in with her user is failing so the app is returning to the login screen as a default.  This also appears to be the case since she gets an invalid pw message when she tries to log in from that screen.

Is there anything special about her user name or password?  Have any funny characters in them maybe?

Can she try going to the settings on the device and choosing "clear data" for the Emby TV app.  Then try accessing via connect again.

She should never see the user screen going in via Connect so, if that is happening, it must be because the log-in with her user is failing so the app is returning to the login screen as a default.  This also appears to be the case since she gets an invalid pw message when she tries to log in from that screen.

Is there anything special about her user name or password?  Have any funny characters in them maybe?

Clearing the app data yields the same result.  The emby.media/pin sign in seems to work correctly (Pin Confirmed.  Thank you.) but then reverts back to the log in screen, where you can successfully select any "User" (not guest) who is not password protected.  I set up a new username under an old email of mine for testing and it's giving the exact same results.  No special characters in the password, just letters in hers and Letters and Numbers in my Test account.  I've tested in her home, as well as mine (local network for the server), as well as the Emby for Android TV (Nexus Player) and the results are the same.  The common thing here seems to be the Pin Connect Sign In.  It seems like the Connect Sign In just gets you access to the server, but fails to correctly pass the credentials needed to log on successfully.  The Android and Web Apps work perfectly for all accounts in question, both on and off the local network.  

Yep.  Thanks.

I accepted the invite and your server showed up in my list.  I selected it and went right into the home screen.

So, this has to be something to do with her account specifically.

Is it possible that you have limited her account access in the server in some way?  Like you made it only available at certain times or only on certain devices?

testmarkes

Yep.  Thanks.

I accepted the invite and your server showed up in my list.  I selected it and went right into the home screen.

So, this has to be something to do with her account specifically.

Is it possible that you have limited her account access in the server in some way?  Like you made it only available at certain times or only on certain devices?

Were you able to access it on a Fire Stick or Nexus Player (I've also been testing on the Android TV Emby app on my Phone to the same effect)?  The web access and mobile access works perfectly.  It's the Set Top Boxes that are having an issue. 

I used my ADT-1 running the Emby ATV app.

What you describe sounds like access to her account is restricted for some reason.  Have you checked that it isn't time restricted or device restricted?

testmarkes

I used my ADT-1 running the Emby ATV app.

What you describe sounds like access to her account is restricted for some reason.  Have you checked that it isn't time restricted or device restricted?

I granted her guest account the exact permission i gave yours.  Where should I look for these restrictions?

Users->Access (down at the bottom there is a place for device restrictions)

Users->Parental Control (access schedule)

Just be sure those aren't set - although, if other clients work, then that may not be it.

Something is making the authentication of her account fail.  We just have to figure out what it is.

Users->Access (down at the bottom there is a place for device restrictions)

Users->Parental Control (access schedule)

Just be sure those aren't set - although, if other clients work, then that may not be it.

Something is making the authentication of her account fail.  We just have to figure out what it is.

Could you try creating a new Emby Connect test account and having me share with that?  Maybe it's something in the Default account settings on her end?  Hers and my test account are set up the exact same way (default)

Could you try creating a new Emby Connect test account and having me share with that?  Maybe it's something in the Default account settings on her end?  Hers and my test account are set up the exact same way (default)

Sorry, don't understand what you want me to do.  I can't create an account on your server...

testmarkes

Sorry, don't understand what you want me to do.  I can't create an account on your server...

Because this is happening for two brand new Emby Connect Usernames, I meant create a new Emby Connect Account (like the test account i created) and leave all of the settings at default, so i can invite the new account as a guest to my library.  As it's two brand new users that are having issues with their PIN connect logging on that would ensure the new account is exactly the same as my scenario.  

No.  The forum accounts are the connect accounts.

I really don't think that can have anything to do with it though.

Can you show me screen shots of how you have the user setup?  How does that setup differ from the user you created for me?

I mean the passwords, the access schedule, parental control restrictions, device restrictions, etc.

No.  The forum accounts are the co5605b8bbcc817_Emby3.png5605b8c2e4377_Emby4.png5605b8ca00ab0_Emby5.png5605b8d73da86_Emb6.pngnnect accounts.

I really don't think that can have anything to do with it though.

Can you show me screen shots of how you have the user setup?  How does that setup differ from the user you created for me?5605b81a3e510_emby1.png5605b8234218c_Emby2.png

Here are the screencaps you requested